Sunday 15 June 2014

Another want completed.

I have always been envious of the windmill that Phil Olley possessed for his Polish renaissance game,and if I remember correctly,that windmill had sails that rotated. Anyway, since that first envious thought, I have seen several very fine examples at various wargames shows over the years. So biting the bullet I decided to obtain my own version of a windmill.
The beauty of the internet is the access to model dealers from around the world, and hence I was able to source my very own windmill from a Croatian company called TABLETOP WORLD. Definately not the cheapest model company, but certainly the provider of some first rate terrain pieces.
I would recommend the company to any wargamer who wants a very well modelled building. From the initial order, to delivery in the United Kingdom took two weeks, which I think is pretty good.The windmill is made from a lightweight plastic/resin and is very highly detailed. The kit comes in six pieces and is easy to build. More importantly it is a joy to paint. Im afraid I couldnt reach the painting standards of the windmill on the Tabletop World site, but it still looks good to me. Originally I intended to fix the piece to a base, but, having completed the painting I have decided to leave it free.




 I know not everyone is a fan of E BAY, but personally I have found the site very handy for buying some item, that I have always wanted, for instance issue 4 of the 1971 Military Modelling. A must for all anoraks.
 Anyway on an impulse I bid and won a small number of painted SYW figures from the site.
 I must admit I didnt need them, they were also of a true 25mm scale, so would look odd in a unit, but they looked interesting.
 When I got them, I was really pleased at just how good they were. Once I touched up the flesh, based them up  and did some work on the inevitable yellowing varnish, the figures came to life. I havent a clue of the manufacturer, or the wargamer who painted them, but they were worth the bidding. I havent given up on my own painting, but between various weekly doctors checks, the world cup and sleeping things have somehow slipped. Still I have started a regiment of Willie figures for a unit of my Wild Geese, so hopefully I will crack them off soon.



13 comments:

  1. Your mystery figures are from the legendary GHQ multipart SYW range from the 70s - or some definitely are, others are probably conversions. I've seen pictures of other figures from the same collection (painted identically) on Vintage Wargaming, or one of Clive's other blogs. Nice figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much. One of the heads was loose when I got them.I asked the person that sold them, and they came from a wargamers collection who had passed away.
      No name unfortunately, which is sad as whoever had painted them was a very good painter.
      Thanks Robbie.

      Delete
  2. They are GHQ, and a converted tradition, and the figure with telescope I sculpted.

    If the Austrian figures have light blue and light purple facings they came from my collection, swopped with Frank Hinchliffe.

    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evening John,
      Well I really am chuffed now as the Austrians are as you described.
      So if you have anymore secreted away in a scrap box,please let me know.
      Thanks Robbie.

      Delete
  3. The collection was huge with Prussian, Austrian, British and French. Painted mainly by myself. The Austrian army was painted by Peter Kemplay.

    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As per my earlier reply, what you have said makes them even more precious.Its a shame that only these figures have emerged up to now, as I would love to own some of the collection.The figures have a natural life about them.
      Thanks Robbie.

      Delete
  4. The Austrian officer in the purple facings looks like one of the Crusader Miniatures senior Austrian officers dismounted. The others look Hinchcliffe-like.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have found my photographs of this army.

    1.The Austrian Officer with map and officer with his hat off I have in a photograph with the rest of the regiment. The regiment of both battalions numbered over 60 figures plus loads of vignettes.
    2. The Officer in the light blue and yellow facings I have a full photograph. Originally he had a spontoon, and his head must have been replaced at some stage.
    3. The Officer with the telescope was from a British naval detachment.

    I have about 30 photographs of the collection from the mid-late 70's, I will post them on AMG.

    Hope that helps.
    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evening John,
      Actually it doesnt help, as I know that I will want to own some of the collection and I cant see that happening.Seriously though, I would really be interested in seeing the photographs of the units. Didnt Peter Kemplay have a wargames business in the 1970's? He was a very fine painter.
      Thanks for taking the time to post these replies.
      Robbie.

      Delete
  6. Now that's a windmill ! good pickup off Ebay

    -- Allan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Robbie,

    More GHQ here:
    http://theoldmetaldetector.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/GHQ

    When i first the Austrians pictured there i did wonder whether they'd originally been John's (John's collection is the only significant collection of GHQ that i've ever heard of in the UK) and now we know.

    cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Robbie,
    It is a long story. I entered a few units in the painting competition at Northern Mil. back in the mid 70's both FH and PG wanted them.
    Peter Kemplay had a shop near Harrogate, then moved to Skipton. Two to three times a month I would visit him at his shop in Skipton, then go to a pub!
    At his shop I was first introduced to Tradition 25mm and 33mm figures.

    I converted loads of Tradition 25mm into firing Prussian/Austrian/Pandour units etc.

    Yes, Peter was an amazing painter of figures and on canvas. I have two original AWI paintings that I commissioned in the late 70's.

    I could continue.....but worthy more for AMG in the future.

    Regards
    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the slack reply John, but I have been working away.
      You now have my interest really piqued.
      I look forward to a longer continuation on the forum.
      Thanks Robbie.

      Delete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating