Wednesday 17 June 2015

Herding Cats

Well I'm back from the USA and another shorter break. I always feel I've failed if I don't post a regular item on my blog. I know that Henry Hyde in Miniature Wargames recommended little and often, which is easier said than done, but I did need a break.
 Anyway following on from my last post regarding what I would see as a perfect wargames show, bugger me if The Amateur Military Gentleman group haven't pre empted most of my suggestions and are planning what I see as the opportunity to have such a ideal wargames show/convention.
 Except, wargamers being the individual breed that they are, the members are all pulling in different directions, like herding cats.
 The group for those who dont know are based on persons who have bought the John Ray book, which contains an account of an eighteenth century officer, the book however is heavily illustrated with the wonderful John Ray collection. [ Oh to win the lottery]
 Anyway, after the success of their first outing at Partizan, the group want to stage a weekend show where they can get together and wargame, talk, swap ideas and buy a few choice items from some selected trade persons who are also members of the group.
 Simples? Well yes and no.
 First their is location to sort out. Then there is a suitable date, then cost, then an aim, etc, etc.
 I couldnt help myself and suggested a venue in the North East of England. It was in all seriousness, but any suggestion of leaving the bubble that is the Home counties does seem to cause gasps of horror. I suppose its the fear of no electricity and no clean water. [ Maybe one day civilization will reach us]
 I have every confidence that things will be resolved, but not everyone will be happy, but then when could that ever be achieved?
 Still the show offers up a great opportunity to see if a wargames show can be more than the normal events on offer. I know I'm wittering on as if the idea hasn't been done before, when clearly it has, but small and beautiful may offer up chances to come away from a show, inspired and full of ideas, whereas most normal wargames shows usually only leave you tired and skint.
 Anyway, hopefully the cats will all go in one direction, and a weekend of wargaming bliss may be enjoyed.
A couple of examples of John Ray's wonderful collection.


18 comments:

  1. Robbie. It rather depends what you want to spend your money on. The less anyone has to spend on rail fares or petrol the more there is left for wargaming :-)
    Yours Southern Softie who likes home comforts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evening Chris,
      At the current time, I am sat in front of my log burning stove, which is actually lit! So if a venue inn the North was used, I would recommend a large and warm top coat.

      Delete
    2. Great Information sharing .. I am very happy to read this article .. thanks for giving us go through info.Fantastic nice. I appreciate this post. Largest cat breeds

      Delete
  2. Being of Jewish Scottish descent (very distant though - very very distant) it was almost inevitable that I'd be quibbling over spending money on frivolous items such as shows rather than turning gold into lead. Especially since I don't have to travel to enjoy what everyone else wants from the proposed weekend - I can just go to my local club. I don't envy Graham one bit with the decisions he has to make - but I will support him in anyway I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evening Paul,
      Being a wargamer and quibbling about money doesnt really go.
      We have embarked on a hobby that seems to find numerous ways to get us to spend money. So its all relative.

      Delete
  3. For me, it is the show that matters rather than the location, as I will be crossing The Pond from the States to attend. The comraderie and the opportunity to socialize with a great group of people transcends all. :)

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evening Jim,
      I'm sorry I missed you at Partizan, but I hope we can meet next year. Like you the key matters are, enjoying the company one is with and savouring the moment. Hopefully this will happen.

      Delete
  4. Well nearly herded enough cats! If this comes off even now it's promising to be good, Dave Doc's Sudan, some 18th century games, paint workshop by Mark Allen and Dave Jarvis :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evening Graham,
      Sorry about the late reply, now that you have herded everyone together, the next hurdle is getting everyone to turn up.

      Delete
  5. Your definition of a perfect wargames show is interesting. I would suggest that you take a trip North of the Border to Carronade next year. With the exception of the Catering I think we meet your criteria pretty well.

    Of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder and as one of the organisers I may be a tiny bit biased. However I can claim that you did enjoy one of the other shows that I was also involved with. Warrior 83! Seeing your post brought a lot of good memories back - thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alright David,
      Warrior 1983, God that takes me back. Your right, I did enjoy that show, but then I was younger and less demanding.
      Re shows North of the border. John and I used to take a game up to the old Claymore and I really did enjoy the event, even though it was a hard slog.
      I must admit that after I have heard all the good things going on over the wall, I have been considering putting on a game at one of the Scottish shows next year, and making a bit of a weekend of it.

      Delete
    2. Carronade is on 7th May next year and if you are interested in putting on a game email me at djkmbro@yahoo.co.uk and I will put you in touch with our games organiser.

      For an unbiased view I would just google Carronade and look at a few blog posts. WE are also supposed to be getting a spread in the August issue of Wargames Illustrated which should also give you an idea of the show. It would be good if you could make it as I am sure that you would put something impressive on.

      Delete
  6. Hi Robbie
    Just a note: the Ottomans are John's, but the command vignette is mine.
    Best
    Phil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Phil,
      Didint check my notes.
      I should have recognised that.

      Delete
  7. Hi Robbie just to back Dave up carronade is a great Show we have been going for last 3 years we make a weekend of it.This year I was unable to go due to illness however the lads seemed to manage without me as we won best demo game in show with the pound shop knights it went really well as you predicted it would the last time you saw it at Locomotion.We will catch up with you at one of the shows
    Brian Westerhope Wargames.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry for the delay Brian,
    I hope youve recovered as I miss your wit. I think its about time your group got together for a game with me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Robbie sounds good to me I have not seen the Lads for a few weeks due to still not being 100% plus the joy of a house move, getting too old and grumpy for it I will get back to you
    Brian.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating