Sunday 11 October 2015

A Great Day out.

  Probably the best thing about wargaming after the toy soldiers are the actual wargamers themselves. Most wargamers have stories about some idiot/wierdo who they have a chance meeting with at a show or game, a bit like meeting the nutter on a bus experience.
 But actually the vast majority of wargamers want nothing more than spending a day throwing dice, giving and taking banter and generally looking at their toys.
 Yesterday was no exception when John, Neil and I took the trip to play in the Westerhope Wargames Group re fight of the Battle of Ramilles.                                  
                                      
 I would again like to thank the group for the invite and willingness to do all the hard work, especially John Coutts and my co general Brian Irving for a great day out. It was especially nice to be facing the great Charlie Wesencraft who was the French Cin C whilst I was designated the role of Malborough. Unfortunately that was where the comparison ended for me.
 I have fought against Charlie on a number of occasions now, and for a man who should really be thinking about retirement, he is a sod to fight against.
 For a more detailed account of the actual battle, I would ask that any readers check out the Westerhope Wargamers blog, especially as John actually knew what was going on, whilst I spent most of my time 'working' the opposition [ for which I can only apologise] and generally getting in the way of my co generals. In particular I feel I should apologise to one of Charlie's generals, who was in charge of most of his cavalry. Poor Mel, must have been convinced that I was psychic, as everytime he went to throw a dice, I predicted he would throw a 2, which frighteningly seemed to happen all the time. Not good for a persons morale Im afraid.
 Anyway I had a great day out, and would like to thank everyone for the day, in particular, Paul, Dave, John and Brian of the Westerhope club, and thanks again for the wonderful cup cakes, Paul.




4 comments:

  1. Looks like a wonderful afternoon with nice company! And a great table you build - wish I where there with you!!
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an excellent day out all round. You're absolutely right of course, it's the company that makes it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments,Robbie-we all enjoyed seeing you and the "banter" was great,long may it continue-regards to neil and john too.
    johnc(william)

    ReplyDelete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating