Sunday 4 October 2015

Derby World Wargames Show, Saturday 3rd October 2015.

 Well I decided to make the long drive down to the Derby show after a lay off of two years. I wanted to see a couple of the games on show at the event just to get some inspiration [ copy any ideas ]
One was the Battle of Marignano and the other was the Battle of Kunersdorf.
I have always admired the way James Roach aka Olicana painted his figures and always try to check out his games. I certainly wasnt disappointed with his figures which were pretty damned good as usual. The most annoying thing Ive found about James is the fact he paints so damned quick, and the paint effect he uses is so very effective. 




 I was to be disappointed about Kunersdorf, because the game wasnt there, Celle a vie. The venue for the championships is very good in one sense as it is easy to find as it is just off the M1, the problem is that the cavernous plane hangar is so dark inside, and well pretty bleak. I am not going to slag off the organisers [honest] but the venue is pretty shitty really. But then a lot of wargames shows seem to end up in crap venues. Probably due to cost. [Or is it? Maybe its to keep the public away from the events?]
 Games wise, there were some decent games, but none that really stood out.  The Lance and Longbow had a decent 28mm game on show, in fact it might have been Bosworth but I never did find out. It was okay.
  The Derby club had a nice War in Ireland game on show, with some well painted figures. I only wish the lighting had been better to show off the colours of the figures.

 The Burton club put on a decent ancient battle staged in Germany, with some nice terrain.


 I paid particular attention to the 6mm Napoleonic wargames, due to my renewed interest in the scale and period. The Redditch club staged Waterloo in 6mm which looked fairly decent to me. Im sorry Im being a bit non enthusiastic but the game was okay, but for a bit more effort it could have been so much better.


 Unfortunately I didnt find out which group staged this 6mm Napoleonic game, but I did like the way they had based their figures, and recorded their casualities on the bases. Neat and effective.

 The Boondock Sayntes? staged a 28mm Zulu game, or actually a static display, which was very effective. Clearly the gents had made the effort to locate some mess uniforms which did actually add to the display, so well done in that respect.


 The Westbury group staged a game of the Battle of Poltova, which was nicely done, with some good painted units on show.I can only apologise again for the poor photographs, I blame the lighting, bearing in mind I actually bring along extra lighting myself.


               The struggle for Hougemont displayed by L'Ordre Mixte club. A decent model of the buildings, and well presented. I think any readers can sense my lack of enthusiasm for the day. Most of the games were fine, there certainly was a lot of trade on show, and there appeared to be a steady footfall through the doors, but somehow for me the event didnt have that extra something. Its probably me [ not you] On a positive note they did do a good fry up which I checked out. On a rating out of ten, I would award the show a six, could do better, but not too bad.







9 comments:

  1. Robbie,
    Sorry the day turned out to be a bit flat, I've been toying with the idea of going since the change of venue but I guess you've cinfirmed the reasons I haven't got round to going.
    I think it's just us getting older and being more discerning, there has to be a decent reason to go. I made the journey to Claymore not just for the show ( which was just ok) but for the meet up and chat with fellow AMG members. Partizan is still a good show for games and chatting.
    I haven't even decided if I will go to Leeds this month and that's just an hour down the road!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean Graham. I have visited a number of shows this year, probably more than usual, some I really enjoyed some I wondered what I was doing there. Derby as a show is alright. The venue is not the best, certainly it was better at the university but it was probably more expensive, and the parking is not as good as Donnington.I think its the lighting that gets me down a tad.

      Delete
  2. Robbie- I don't have a problem with the lighting- what do you expect Super Troupers at every table! There are far worse venues about believe me- I've been to most of 'em- usally sports halls that smell of Jock straps ! with deeply unpleaseant staff- that would be Stockton- putting a bulldozer through it would improve it- but also reading and the okld Walsall venue was awful.
    Part of the problem in price- venue hire is the UK - for a large event is EXPENSIVE you can be looking at 5 figure sums and then some.
    As for the games- I note you missed the Stonewall groups version of Quatre Bras or Peter Bradfors Macphersons Ridge- in 28mm - with one of the smaller Brigade actions of that battle done in 10mm at 1to1 scale.
    There was even a nice little game using Flats- some of which had belonged to Tony Bath and Dereck Guyler. and a sweet Dark Ages game with some sculpted terrain. Marignano of course did stand out For myself- despite the bad back I rate it much higher than 6 - closer to 8 My one dissapointment was the lack of 15mm games and overall the show was far better than last year with fewr of those bloody awful boutique games on show- though there were stiff a few including a bloody awful WW1 game on carboard with little plastic men ... Why???. There were also still about hafl a dozen games on very small table- 2 feet square or 4 by 2 playing area - how very limited and hardy inspiring. But the good stuff was the good stuff - so a fun time had by all .......
    I suspect that for some of your your parameters are simply too narrow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Afternoon Andy,
      I did see the game using the flats, and thought it looked okay. However the extra photographs I took, were pretty sub standard and I didnt want to use them. You're probably right in that my parameters are too narrow. I do know that I will be taking my own lighting to Stand To and Middlesbrough.

      Delete
    2. Thinking about it- I still think many of the games could have done with a dedicated Talking head. I also saw some- espeiically the little games I never saw being played- but that could have been becasue I was working- or muttering in pain from doing the backin- still Iys only pain - take the pills and carry on !!

      Delete
  3. Robbie - nice little summary of the show. I didn't go this year principally because I was travelling back from watching England get mullered at Twickenham, but also because I really don't like the show anymore.
    the venue as a hall is fine. Okay it's cold concrete that is tiring on the feet and the lighting is nothing special (but as andy says better than some). for me though it is the constant whine from the racing cars which seems to be at a pitch designed to cause headaches for those inside the building.
    Shows in general though have recently begun to lose their appeal for me. A lack of inspiring games or games that do inspire but with no enthusiasm from the participants to help my understanding. Some of my default traders no longer in attendance. Traders not taking some of the ranges (and here I single out Warlord who take very little of the footsore miniatures GNW range to shows - there are figures in that range I've not seen yet and want to purchase but not without seeing them first).
    Partizan stands out as the exception at the moment and is probably the only show I'll be going to next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul,
      You're suffering from post rugby blues and also getting old.
      Honestly I try to find positives in all the shows I attend, and there were some at Derby. The noise of the racing doesnt bother me. The place isnt inspiring, but if it was full of tanks etc I would probably love the cold venue.
      Re traders, I know exactly what you mean, clearly because some companies have so much stock to choose from, they tend to take only their best sellers. Still at least it was a wargames show.Hows that for positivy.

      Delete
  4. Robbie, good summary and nice photos. I'm sorry I missed it but it would've done me in, and also a shame that the Kunersdorf game wasn't there, especially as we shall be doing it a couple of months time! If you want to of course ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That zulu display looked extraordinary. Robbie if that show rated a six...I may have to get my arse over to the UK and see some wargames shows, the better ones must be amazing!

    ReplyDelete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating