Sunday 29 November 2015

The End of the Campaigning Season.

I always look at the Stockton/Middlesbrough Wargames show as a signal that the wargaming season is coming to a close. Just as I identify the York Show as the start of the season.
 So yesterday I made an early start to set up at the Battleground Show organised very well by Leon of Pendragon Miniatures fame.
 The main hall used by the show is a very good one, as it is well lit, large and well set out. The loos are close by which is important for a person of my age, and the free carpark is expansive.
 The only gripe is the fact that wargamers have to make a trek of about one hundred metres to a well set up, and good value cafe.[ There is always a gripe nowadays] Perhaps Leon can organise a bus to take gamers across to the cafe?
 Anyway to the show. This year, we, the Independent Wargames Group [ 3 members and one acolyte] put two games on. One was  Blucher 10mm Napoleonic game run by John and Neil. The second was Rossbach in 30mm run by me and Colin. [ Most of the effort coming from Colin]
 With arriving early to set up, I was able to wander around talking to other wargamers also setting up.[ There is always some annoying person to hold things up, and it is usually me]
  As a result I was able to pester Andy Callan of hair roller armies fame about his latest project, Paper Armies. These are created by the very very talented Peter Dennis, who illustrates for Osprey. The armies are beautifully illustrated flats, with rules by Andy, on terrain by Cigarbox. I loved the whole set up. I have always been fascinated by flats, but these paper models were beautiful, and I would have loved to get to grips with the English Civil War battle Andy and his cohorts had set up. Wargaming innovation at its best. I was also well impressed by the quality of the materiel used by Cigar Box for the terrain.

 I also pestered Graham of Crann Tara Miniatures, to get a look at his new releases. He will be selling in the very near future a wonderful generic soldier for the Seven Years war which would serve in most non Prussian armies, very much in the RSM mold, but crisper and naturally better detailed. Just what I didn't need to be frank.
 I also saw and have purchased his new French Garde du Corps, a French unit that I wanted ever since I saw the illustration in the Funcken book donkeys ago. Again wonderful.
 Now to the games. I am suffering from some crap Winter virus, and taking quite a bit of medication, but I think it was fair to say there was no bad games, just a nice selection of everything in various scales.[ so I cant blame the medication for my euphoria]
 Of particular note, was the Blucher game, purely because it was so damned neat and well presented, and yes I probably am biased, but it looked and played like a wargame, contrary to various discussions I had about the rules being boardgame like.


 It was good to see that 'Care in the Community' had allowed the Westerhope Group to put on one of their eclectic games. They always manage to put on something different, and always in large numbers. Personally the group should be investigated for how they afford to do this.
 Sorry about the quality of the photographs. My hand was shaking laughing at the lads Pink shirts.

 John, 'Pretty in Pink' Coutts of the Westerhope Group attempting to explain why he didnt need to take any medication to his carer.
Conrad Cairns, from the Durham Wargames Group, showed off his revised Placenoit 54mm game, which looked very good. Another game I would have liked to participate in.

 And onto Rossbach. We have fought this game before as part of our refight of the Seven Years War! On that occasion the French and Reicharmee gave a good account of themselves. This time its fair to say, the Prussian fought as they did in history and went through my army like a knife through butter.
 Colin stepped aside to allow John the Red [ as in Corbyn!] to be Frederick, and he could do no wrong as the Prussian cavalry rode roughshod over my army. A comprehensive whipping for the French.

 The initial setup, from the French perspective. The French infantry could not move until the third period, and could not deploy until they were withing 24 inches of a Prussian unit!
 My poor Reicharmee cavalry, on move one. In march column facing the Prussian juggernaut. The Prussians move first!
                                                      At the end of move one.
             Move three, and the Prussian infantry and artillery had moved into position.

My remaining French cavalry were all that was between the Prussians and the marching infantry.
  Surprisingly that didnt seem to stop the Prussians who rode down my reserve very quickly.

 I was now able to activate my infantry on move three, but the Prussian cavalry were already within striking distance.

    In a brilliant move, I managed to allow the flank of my troops to be facing the fleeing Austrian hussars pursued by the Prussian Garde du Corps. The result was not pretty.
My Reich Armee cavalry legging it off the table.
 So blaming the serious virus that I was clearly suffering from, I acknowledged defeat and surrendering my Marshal's Baton I accepted the meagre commiserations of my communist opponent.
 As for the show. A great way to finish the campaign season.



 

17 comments:

  1. Thanks Robbie, it was a good game and a fine day out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colin,
      I dont think I will be the same again after getting such a drubbing.

      Delete
  2. The 'IWG' games were certainly two of the stand-out at the show.

    I'm the ginger-haired chap who popped over and introduced himself when you were both packing up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roy,
      I remember you and the buildings you purchased. I am looking forward with interest to how things progress with your game.

      Delete
  3. I thought it was a good show with a great atmosphere.
    At least my pestering ends in a positive note!!!
    I did miss out on some of the show as my alleged helpers ( we will cover the stand for you) disappeared for the best part of the day.
    Was Pete's flags there? I had hoped to catch up with him and as you say the paper flats game was actually very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham,
      Firstly, I never saw Pete, so can only assume he never made it.
      Secondly I will have to? buy some of your new range straight away, as they were wonderful castings.
      I thought Leon did really well, with the organising, and your right there was a good atmosphere at the show.

      Delete
    2. Pete contacted us the day before to say he wasn't able to make it this year, but we're hoping to see him at the 2016 event.

      Delete
  4. Those paper figures are very nice aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Conrad,
      My photographs dont do them justice. The range and rules will be showcased and released at Salute 2016. Andy assured me that the Wars of the Roses are even better.

      Delete
  5. Personally I also thought the show was well organised with far far better games than last year and looked pretty good Leon had done everything he could.
    From a Trade perspective
    the unload was easier but
    .It was dead by about One ish if not before
    I doubt I'll be going back there was no point in my being there other than to throw cash down the drain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Robbie,

    was most excellent show, defeating the French et al was simply the icing on the cake ;] I thought it was very well laid out and there were some very interesting games going on around the hall. An aspect that has nt always been apparent at some other Northern shows of late. Definitely be checking out those paper flats next year.

    I will have to get a copy of Blutcher having seen John and Neil's 1809 game

    Colin and youself did a grand job on putting such a spectacle. Even though they were fated not to fire a shot, the Reichsarmee and the French infantry were a joy to behold. It was less easy to tell with the cavalry as they kept running away but i am sure they were beautiful too !!

    Yours Fredrick (crusher of aristocractic running dogs of pre Capitalism) the Great

    ReplyDelete
  7. Robbie,can I claim the prize for spotting the "Loony"?? and by the way the shirts are Geranium Red,not Pink!!!!
    Good report on a good show,
    johnc(william)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In this age of being more sensitive to the less blessed souls, you should show more sensitivity. But then coming from Westerhope, I shouldnt really expect that.
      But it was a good day out.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for coming along and putting the game on, it looked excellent. Hopefully we'll see you again next year!

    ReplyDelete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating