Monday 27 March 2017

A Little Rant.

Well I was trawling through my latest issue of Miniature Wargames last night and read with interest the editorial of the latest incumbent, John Treadaway.
 Now I have never met John, but I do know he has been in the hobby a longtime and through his associations with the South London Warlords and local schools he has previously attempted to recruit younger people into our wonderful hobby. He seems a good person who will have also have been granted a DBS certificate before he was allowed to work with children.
 [ Strangely I had to go through the same process a few months ago when I did some work for the Electoral Commission? No children were endangered luckily]
 So it was interesting [well it was for me anyway ] that his editorial was all about a 'tricky conversation' he had with one show's organisers who requested that he not take pictures that might include children who may be attending the said show [ which he didnt name ]
  Now having previously posted on this blog regarding the 'policy ' of the organisers of the Partizan show regarding the taking of photographs of people attending their show, who may not wish to be photographed? my money is on John having fallen foul of the same group when he attended Hammerhead aka the 'Fantasy Partizan' and for which he wrote a review [ a very nice one ].
  I may be wrong and if so I apologise now, but I would lay my pension on it being the same group.
 I seem to remember in the past that certain of the organisers of the show at Newark wrote a contentious piece in Miniature Wargames regarding the lack of diversity in the hobby and why we should do more to be inclusive.
 So perhaps the gentleman has found a new cause to champion, except yet again it appears to be frankly the usual load of bollocks [ My opinion ]
   If one attends Partzan you can actually request a sticker to place on one's stretched tee shirt to state that you are not to be photographed in any event. I'm not certain what would happen if you inadvertently took a sneaky image [ probably prison in Newark Jail ] of such a person but it struck me as ridiculous. It was in 2015 and again at the 2016 show and it looks like it is continuing into 2017.
   Clearly someone has tweaked the fatwa to only concern children [ which in the UK means up to 18 years] and obviously has not considered that the rosy cheeked urchins constantly take images of themselves every few seconds to post for all and sundry to view.
 On one of my final cases before retirement I was given a very depressing lesson in what young children are prepared to photograph in order to be 'liked' and it wasn't attending a wargames show I can assure you readers.
  So once again I will ask the question, why?
 What sort of danger is perceived by the said organiser[s] of a wargames show, to taking an image of a game, which may contain an image of a child actually enjoying the spectacle of grown men playing with toy soldiers. If one is so inclined to a more sinister motive you really really don't have to pay a few quid and go to a wargames show, sadly it is far easier than that.
 [Again I will publicly apologise if it wasn't the organisers of the Hammerhead show, but my money is on them. ] Explanations on a postcard please.






6 comments:

  1. Yep, and less about the stretched tee shirts please ;-)

    Actually, I understand based on stuff encountered in my old job that 'individuals ' can ask not to be photographed, regardless of their age, but there is nothing unlawful in taking photos of people at an event, and the organisers have no legal backing to either request or enforce such a request. Apart from it b img impractical and unenforceable of course unless memory cards are checked on leaving? Sounds to me like some misguided souls who read about 'something ' 'somewhere' and/or have bees 🐝 in their bonnets about being ultra PC. I still have space on my postcards but will leave it blank for innocent doodling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colin,
      A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Over the last few years such ignorance has manifested itself in a number of bizarre decisions especially involving schools and local councils.
      Risk avoidance is too easy to embrace, but it shouldnt have a place in wargaming. Throwing dice is bad enough.

      Delete
  2. In a former life I was Data Protection and Freedom of Information Officer for a group of secondary schools; and I can categorically say that there is no legislation that people cannot be photographed at a public event or in a public place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Benjamin,
      I knew quite a bit about Data Protection etc,and you are absoltely correct, but why as that is the case cant parents take photographs of their loved ones at school concerts etc. Just a thought.

      Delete
    2. Ah, that would be terrified Heads/Pursers/LEA officers who do not know the law. Been there done that...

      Delete
  3. there is nothing unlawful in taking photos of people at an event, and the organisers have no legal backing to either request or enforce such a request. Apart from it b img impractical and unenforceable of course unless memory cards are checked on leaving?



    ** goldenslot mobile**
    ** āļŠāļĨ็āļ­āļ• āļ­āļ­āļ™āđ„āļĨāļ™์ āđ„āļ”้ āđ€āļ‡ิāļ™ āļˆāļĢิāļ‡**

    ReplyDelete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating