Wednesday 19 April 2017

Wargamers Newsletters?

I think its fair to say that I am a completest with OCD tendencies [if there is such a thing ] If its a group or singer, I will invariably research their influences and end up buying some obscure source that is usually pretty crap, but I feel that I have 'completed ' the collection. Wargaming is no different for me unfortunately.
  Being of a certain age I have bought virtually every type of magazine connected to wargaming, sometimes even with a very tenuous connection. Miniature Warfare, Battle, Military Modelling, Arquebusier, Slingshot, Courier, MWAN etc.
  Wargamers Newsletter by the late great Donald Featherstone however has long been a bone of contention with me, simply because I discovered the magazine just prior to it folding, so unfortunately I wasn't able to buy the damn thing at the time.
 Over the years I have managed to pick up various copies, but I have never completed my collection.
 So this post is more of a request/plea to make a veteran wargamer very happy.
 I would love to complete my collection of Wargamers Newsletters. My motives are pure, I dont want to stockpile them in the faint hope they will appreciate in value. I merely want to be able to read them to fully enjoy the enthusiasm that flowed in the early days of modern wargaming.
 I fully appreciate that some of the older magazines have a monetary value, so I dont expect to obtain them for free. I am certain that if any kind soul should have some of the magazines I want we can come to an arrangement whether it means cash, painted figures, books, magazines, spare kidney etc.
 I would just like to complete my collection before I get called to the big battle in the sky.
  I am short of Wargamers Newsletters' for the years 1976, 1973, 1966, 1965 and 1964.
 I also need a few odd copies for 1968 and 1967.
   So please if there is any wargamer that has some of these magazines stacked in their shed or loft, consider me, before you throw them on a bonfire.
  Anyway I better pack my carrier bag ready for my trip to Salute this weekend, really looking forward to the scrum.











17 comments:

  1. A nice idea Robbie. Unfortunately I don't have any copies myself but good luck with the appeal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve I think its more a dream than a hope frankly.

      Delete
  2. I have a pile of them but they're mine all mine [evil laugh]... I tried to persuade John Curry (he of Wargaming History fame) that he needed to re-print them all but it came to naught....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve,
      I have a fair few, each one carefully has its own plastic sleeve, however its the very early ones I really wanted. I suppose I can dream on.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mine are from the mid 150's to 174. If any of them are any good let me know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neil,
      Thats a very kind offer. I will check the back numbers to see if you have some I would like.

      Delete
  5. Totally understand. I also try to collect older magazines, although from the 80s mostly. See also my indexing project at http://snv-ttm.blogspot.be/p/wargames-magazine-database.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phil,
      There should perhaps be a swops site, because I have numerous wargames magazines from the 1980's most of which I dont read.

      Delete
  6. Robbie,If I had any of these mags. I would want both of your kidneys-no good asking for your heart-you haven't got one!!!
    See you at Carronade??
    johnc(william)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John,
      I never expected any sympathy from you, its not in your psych. I wont be up at Falkirk, I cant afford the train fare.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sympathise with your sentiments Robbie. I collected every issue from 1965 to 1980 and was later given all the earlier ones, but I reluctantly got rid of almost all in my great downsizing of 2012. I still kept duplicates of the 1964-66 period out of sheer nostalgia, keeping alive the boyhood dreaming! I hope you are a long way from the big battle in the sky - where would we look for a bit of controversy without you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris,
      I knew you would have the foresight to keep copies, the number of wargamers who say, Oh I got rid of them is quite disheartening.Charlie Wesencraft 'burnt' all his old magazines when he had a garden fire. It was like burning a great painting.

      Delete
  9. i HAVE MANY ISSUES OF WARGAMER'S NEWSLETTER FOR SALE IN MY EBAY STORE.

    See http://stores.ebay.com/morbius1

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have nearly a complete run of Wargamers Newsletter to spare. Let me know if you are interested?

    albannachtwo@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating