Tuesday 23 May 2017

Partizan May 2017.

 I'm a little late with my report from my trip to Partizan, funnily enough caused by the trip. I sometimes think God is trying to stop me travelling to wargames shows. This time it was my car deciding to make horrendous noises on the way to and from Newark. Hopefully they are now resolved. Anyway onto the actual show.
 Briefly reading other attendees reports, the consensus seems to be what a great show it was. For me it was far better than Salute 2017, but being unable to compare it to York 2017 I cant say if it was better than that. I'm pretty certain the trade at York would have been better, simply because there is more of it. But games wise, Partizan has returned to being the place to be inspired by the quality of the wargames on show. The venue is easy to find, and for me to travel to.
 Parking is not really an issue, well not whilst we are having drought like conditions. There was a long wait to get into the show, which didnt affect me, simply because I was one of the first at the show.Im certain this will be resolved next time. It was a beautiful day, so the large hall became very hot in the afternoon, not good for some of the soap dodging wargame fraternity. Oh and the food was acceptable if a little pricey, but whats new there.
  But games wise, it was an inspiring collection of historical wargames from a wide range of periods.The organisers, have wisely split the hall into two zones, one for historical games and one for the newer games phenomena, the table top skirmish games of various types.
 I havent attempted to show images of all the historical wargames, but instead, I have images of the games I was really impressed with for various reasons.
 I have never played nautical games, but am always strangely drawn to them, Battle for Port Arthur was a good example. Derby Wargames Group put on a lovely game, from what is an obscure period, for most wargamers, and had some lovely ship models, and a great Port Arthur.
                                       

 There were two excellent WW1 games, one by Kallistra [ images at top of article] and this 28mm feast. Both were beautiful games, and I itched to be amongst the toys. Great.


 I have always been fascinated by the Polish renaissance armies, especially the amazing winged lancers. There were two games showing off these wonderful soldiers.Both in 28mm. This one had some great Essex and Foundry winged lancers.


 This Russian Polish Swedish affair is hallmark League of Augsberg. Beautifully painted figures, on a well designed battle table. Well done Barry. I believe they may be releasing a Polish and Turkish range in the future.


  Graham Cummings of Crann Tara fame brought out his wonderful French armies to face the dreaded English. Again hallmark eye catching scenery and figures.


 The Perry Twins displayed their new French in Egypt ranges by showing just how good the figures are.The French in this campaign resplendent in the Kleber uniforms. It was a great looking game.


 One of my absolute favourite games by Dave Docherty who threw everything but the kitchen sink onto his Mahdi game. Armoured train, dervishes, Turks. The only thing missing was the tale of the Four Feathers. A beautiful game that I wanted to play in.



The Franco Prussian War was really well displayed in this 15mm game, with lots of figures on nice terrain.

 Simon Millers excellent Edgehill game, played several times during the day. Great figures on simple but neat terrain.


 Dave Brown is on a roll at the moment, firstly with is Picketts Charge rules and now the release of his Grand Armee rules.I have actually used these rules last year and they are a great set to wargame with.He used the Battle of Dresden to show the rules off. A lovely game.
 So how was the show? I am clearly struggling with superlatives as regards the historical games, but it was refreshing to see so many quality historical games in one place, a very large crowd of about 1000 wargamers, and a real buzz about the place. Uplifting.
Oh and I spent a fortune on the trade, so they must have been good as well.




18 comments:

  1. Wow! So many outstanding games and figures it is difficult to pick a favorite. Good job on capturing the spectacle with your camera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan, The show was back to its best, with a better and more practical venue. Well recommended.

      Delete
  2. Some crackin' looking games!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Salute 2018 is going to have to take a hard look at itself and decide what sort of show it wants to be.

      Delete
  3. Thanks, enjoyed the pics, plenty there to inspire and a good range of scales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were some great looking games in all scales, unfortunately I didnt get good images of the six mil games which were very well done.

      Delete
  4. Your welcome a game anytime Robbie... glad you like it.. I was at York , and this one beats it for me. I left with an empty wallet ,so shopping was good. Not going to bother with Salute any more just not good enough value or enough historical interest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave I thought you put on a wonderful game. I understand that you used Blackpowder with Peter Gilder's rules.My mate John was impressed.

      Delete
  5. The vibe and buzz in the hall was just such a boost to the hobby. Terrific day out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still dont know how I didnt bump into you Paul. The day was a great one for getting the juices flowing thats for sure.

      Delete
  6. I agree with everything you say Robbie although I didn't venture into the canteen but sat outside to eat my lunch where I had a nice chat with a chap who had come all the way from New Zealand to be there.Good to see that Dave Thomas was busy as he was a bit brassed off at WMMS because the number of visitors was low.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tony, I should do that to be honest. The cafe is always packed and very hot.I havent been to WMMS and havent seen a report on the show.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for this interesting report, Robbie: the most comprehensive I have seen. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, I know you dont attend many shows, but they are still a great way to inspire you, especially if there is a game on you want to see.

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your site and content. thanks for sharing the information keep updating, looking forward for more posts. Thanks
    ตารางบอล

    ReplyDelete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating