Tuesday 11 July 2017

When your bucket list is ticked.

 Well its been a while since I last posted, for which there has been several reasons, some I can comment upon, some I cant. I have realised that I am near the end of this ACW project, and have only the Union cavalry and Union extra artillery to paint. It came to me that perhaps that should be it as regards starting a new project. I know that there have been some recent postings about such a thing, and I don't doubt there will be many posts more given how there are many wargamers who probably started at about the same time as me.

 I specifically started a ACW project initially because of the Glory Halalujah rules, but since the release of Picketts Charge rules, John and I have embraced these rules as the ones of choice, and the more we use them the more I enjoy them. Last weeks refight of Donald Featherstone's scenario Plattville was a corker. I must admit Dave Brown is on to a winner with these rules, and boy do you need to think about what you are doing, a great cerebral exercise and fun too.

 But I digress. So I have nearly finished the project and I have pondered about what next. I just dont think I have the appetite to start another period and army, the way I am viewing it at the moment is I would be painting units that would probably never see the light of day. As I have cited before Peter Young was on the money when he called collecting armies from various historical periods as madness [ I paraphrase] and after all my wargaming years I have finally understood what he was on about. 
One of the problems I have is that not only have I virtually completed this project, I have also virtually completed writing my first novel, [ just some editing to complete] which has now provided another loose end that needs tying off. My aim in this case was to write a novel that had been in the back of my mind for many years but I never got around to starting it. Well I have now ticked that box, so again what do I do now, because I'm not even certain it is any good, although my tutor has been very positive, but one expects that nowadays, no tutor ever seems to tell the full truth anymore, unlike my former school days, when a spade was a spade. [digging implement to any would be devastated reader]

 Like other mature wargamers, one realises that you need to shrink some of the collections that you have put together over many years. In my case my biggest concern is regards the 120+ terrain boards that I no longer use.These were made for the many 6mm refights that John and I staged at various shows. To be honest I am loath to scrap them at the local tip, merely because they are in very good condition and also are frankly better than most boards I have seen at most shows. So that's one thing I feel must be given a priority. The second concerns my collection of Napoleonic books, EBay rarely works as regards books, and I am loath to give these away, especially as some have been my companions for many years, but go they must.
 As for my collections of wargaming magazines, I think Bonfire Night beckons early, given that at the last show I couldnt even give them away.
 On a more positive note, and which proves I am still involved in this wonderful hobby, I have bought a box of Warlord's new landsnects, the original Pro Gloria ones. Do I need them? No of course not, but I had to have them. The images in this post are some things I have managed to complete, but again they were a struggle to tackle, it must be an age thing. So I apologise for the lack of enthusiasm, hopefully I will survive, as Gloria whatshername sang and bounce back soon.


24 comments:

  1. Robbie,
    It's just a phase you're going through 😜
    Although there is an element of truth in what I say where we reach a certain point when common sense and reality start to battle our wargamers urge to spread our butterfly wings.
    Books, terrain and paraphernalia I think are the first easy hits, limiting the periods is the next, but that doesn't mean to say you stop collecting I'm still adding to my ancients armies.
    You will also realise with the announced and unannounced releases in the pipeline for my Crann Tara range that Mr Grant et al has really got me thinking of all the new things I can paint and try just sticking to the 18th century. So I think it's good that you're going to re evaluate and focus on what's important in your hobby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robbie,

    First, what wargaming mags do you ave that you want to dispose of? If you've got issues 13-24 of Miniature Wargames, any complete runs of Practical Wargamer, or perhaps older things like Battle, I might be interested in taking some of them off your hands if the price is right. As with Graham above, I'll be sticking to the mid-18th century. . . probably until senility sets in. I finally came to the difficult conclusion in the early 200s that if I ever wanted anything to get done, it was entirely necessary to limit my focus. Hence my Johnny -One-Note-itus of the last dozen years. Finally, great news about and congratulations on your book! Please do let us know when it will become available for public consumption.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stokes, I have replied re your query, and full marks for seeing an opportunity.My biggest wargaming love is the Napoleonic period. Without sounding boastful I can field any army, and I mean army for any nation except the Turks.The last time I used them was five years ago.My fault because of taking on new projects?

      Delete
  3. I've not heard a bad word said anywhere about Pickets Charge. I have them, but have not used them, but on the back of them I have just bought General d'Armee, which I suppose is best described as a sister book to Pickets Charge. So you see, there is a new project that you can pursue after all :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave Brown certainly came up trumps with Picketts Charge, they have some really nice nuances but they can punish a player if they dont think carefully about what they are trying to achieve. As for Grand Armee, I was lucky enough to use them with Dave last year, again they have some great ideas. Due to having 6mm I will stick to Blucher and Volley and Bayonet, simply because I based my armies for the rules.

      Delete
  4. Sorry, that should be 'Picketts'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robbie, please don't tempt me with books! If you think back it was those ACW games at my place with Glory Hallelujah that got your ACW juices going and you've built up a pretty good collection since then. I am looking forward to a game with Pickets Charge (and Gen d'Armee) sometime.

    Good luck with the novel. Will you sign my copy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colin, you must have forgotten that I wrote an article in the 1990's regarding my refight of Gettysburg, using a set of qpr by John, although yes Glory Hallelujah did reignite my interests.

      Delete
    2. I hadn't forgotten the article but glad that I have in some way do tributes to you spending vast amounts of your pension on a new period 😉

      Delete
  6. I try to limit myself to just 1/72. It doesn't seem to have worked though.

    You're probably being very sensible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that would be a first. I have been called many things, but never sensible.

      Delete
  7. Robbie, you may have brought a new phrase into the vernacular. That is, "Ticking the Bucket."

    Perhaps not as permanent as "kicking the bucket" but carrying finality, nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats the final one on my list, unless I come back as a Stadden 30mm grenadier..

      Delete
  8. Have a sort out and a de-clutter is a bit of a pain, but very therapeutic.

    Will regard to selling books - have you thought of selling them on Amazon ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its unfortunately like a tooth that needs pulling, fearful at the time, followed by pain, and then finally relief. I never thought of Amazon thanks for the idea.

      Delete
  9. I've decided to limit myself to the 17th 18th and 19th centuries 😂

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to hear that you've bought some more landsknechts. Congratulations on your book, I try to focus but keep getting distracted! Lovely work on the carts, cannon and command.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  11. OK, I've been crap about the terrain boards and will redeem myself by emailing you with some ideas for when I could come up. Hopefully your book will give you some satisfaction when you get it released/published/online(?) and you're bound to find something nice to paint soon - the Landsknechts are a good start! Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dont worry yourself Dave. As for my book, well, vanity project comes to mind, I certainly dont think I'm the new Ian Rankin.

      Delete
  12. Robbie please let em know when the book is available to buy. If it reads anything like talking to you in person entertainment is guaranteed. Hope you saw my thanks on my blog for the very fine figure you gave me.....but now I know you were just off loading spare bits of your collection!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've enjoyed following the ACW project, if not your choice of figures. Good luck with the novel!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Robbie,Charlie Wesenecraft is 90 years old,and has just ordered some 15mm Acw and Napoleonics from Warrior-too old to start a new period??-never!!
    johnc(william)

    ReplyDelete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating