Monday 21 August 2017

Partizan, the August Show.


 Well yesterday John and I took the longish trip down to Newark for Partizan part Two. Neither of us needed to buy anything from the attending traders, so really it was about going to see what eye candy was on show from the games. I dont think we were disappointed in that there were several stand out games that inspired and encouraged me to do better. The location of Partizan has been documented many times now, but for me it is a very good location just off the A1. The only small quibble is that it is always hot inside of the large hall. Probably caused by the mass of attendees, the roof, and Global Warming. [ Just joking about that]
I thought there were less people at the show, but it is August, and families come first for some, so I found it more pleasant to amble round, acting like the looney on the last bus and basically talking to anyone who couldnt get away from me quick enough. I have taken photographs of my favourite games only, so apologies to all the other wargamers who put on some really good games.
My first game is from wargaming royalty, Simon Chick, Dave Andrews, Dave Imrie and Mark Bickly, who in my eyes are amongst the most talented painters we have. The battle was of Crecy, so what was there not to like.
My second is by the Derby Wargames Group, who always put on a great game.
The AWI game was a particular favourite of John and contained some wonderfully painted units. Steve Jones put on a great looking representation of the rebellion. Top quality painting with lovely looking terrain.


I particulary wanted to see Ian Smith and friends 40mm game. I know he had been adding to his collection, between holidays and golf. The whole game looked brilliant, with some top qualitity painting.
                                      My favourite Napoleonic unit, the Neuchatel Battalion.


Barry Hilton had travelled down with his Napoleonics which was great to see. 
Barry believes in large units, ie 32 cavalry figures, expensive yes but great to slaver over.

When Phil Olley announced he was putting a game on at the show, I was really pleased. 18th Century imaginary units painted to the highest quality.The whole game was an inspiration, and he had broght along his revolving windmill, a real treat for me.




My particularly favourite unit on the table, decked out in Aston Villas colours, an imaginary regiment of horse grenadiers. Great regiment crap team.


Dave Docherty has been building up his Sudan armies for a while now and for me have reached perfection level,a balloons, an armoured train, loads of fuzzy wuzzies and now the flashes of led lights to represent the flash of rifles. A lovely looking game.


Im not an expert on the British Civil War, but this group had a lovely train, so it was a great thing to look at, well for me it was.

Shaun Lowery and the exiles from the Durham Wargames Group had traveled South with his ACW collection. He put on the Battle of Port Republic. Shaun has a wonderful collection of figures, that rarely sees the light of day, a fine looking game. I have known Shaun a longtime now, and yesterday he showed me why wargamers are a decent group of people, when he kindly gave me a painted unit of Zouaves that he had surplus to requirements. I just need John Ray to donate me his collection and my faith in wargamers will be cemented forever.
                               It was great to see Paul Stevenson playing with the group.


And finally, my personal favourite game, which was a participation game. Certainly not the biggest, and not packed with figures, but it contained, Gendarmes [from Steel Fist], flags by Pete Smith, some lovely looking buildings and of course it was based in the Renaissance period.The game was using Sharp Practice, a skirmish set of rules, yet it looked a lot of fun.


                                     The lads even had a cracking Da Vinci tank.



 As I have explained there were many other good games, but I have only listed my favourite games. Even though I didnt have much to buy, I still managed to spend money, on figures I didnt need,especially Steel Fist figures.
So a good day out all round. The only quibbles I had were the price of the tea, but hey wargamers need it.
  And finally I see they are still pushing the bollocks about attendees not wanting to be photographed at the show. It just seemed so, needless to me, but what do I know. Although I would love to talk to someone who actually doesnt want to be photographed at a wargames show, now that would be an interesting way to spend an hour.

12 comments:

  1. Robbie
    Were you in a camouflage suit ?or did Runkee collar you to tell you how he did all the figures on the table and I did one 😂 Sorry I missed you matey I would have enjoyed a little sparring !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ian,
      I was told you were glad handing it with other wargaming Elite in the toilets. But yes Stuart and Tony did mention how they had done all the work.Mind it was a beautiful game to look at.

      Delete
  2. Many fine looking layouts. Thanks for the photo review of the show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jonathan,
      Partizan is always good for some inspirational eye candy.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Neil, games wise it was well ahead of Salute.

      Delete
  4. Some amazing looking games there. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those looked like games good enough to blow away even your duldrums and anxitities for the hobby Robbie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul,
      I hoped to bump into you at the show, just for a quick chat. Hope things are going well.

      Delete
  6. Great looking games especially the renaissance one, that looks lovely!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iain,
      The lads who ran the game had some very lovely Grand Manner buildings. Expensive but top notch. Someone had clearly spent some money building up their collection.

      Delete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating