Wednesday 6 December 2017

New to Battle.

 I've been busy setting up my next wargame. John and I attempt to fight once a week and this week is my turn. So for a change I have decided to use my Western theatre Seven Years War figures ie my Hesse and Brunswick troops.I have kept my Hanoverians off table. Opposing them I have put out a mixed force of French and Saxons.
As I set them up I realised that a lot of the units had never been actually used in a game.The allies [ Hesse etc] were collected, rebased and touched up approximately six years ago but through various circumstances I wont go into, they have sat in boxes unused and unloved.
 Some of the Saxons have only been used once, but my polish light cavalry have never been on a table. Nothing to be proud of really. For some reason the photographs may not be of the best quality.
 The Brunswick contingent are made up of Hinchliffe figures with a small number of Garrison fusiliers. Gilder only ever made a small range of SYW sculpts but they are still lovely figures in my eyes.


 Talking of Hinchliffe. I had a few spare painted odds and sods, so I bought a few extra models to make up a unit of Union.Although the additional casts are small and quite thin, I must admit I enjoyed painting them. Again Gilder sculpted some nice figures that are full of life.They are now a Californian regiment of volunteers.




16 comments:

  1. Robbie, great seeing your SYW collection on the table again, look forward to viewing some photos of the planned game. Powerful and colourful collection.
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Micheal,
      As I was selecting units, I kept picking them up and thinking I hadnt remembered painting them which was a bit scary.

      Delete
  2. Robbie,lovely set-up and lovely figures-you're an artist,man!!
    johnc(william)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the term you're looking for is piss artist. Dont forget to take some photographs of the game with Charlie.

      Delete
  3. Robbie,
    Great seeing figures on the table especially those that haven't seen the light of day for some time. Looking forward to the battle report.
    Graham

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to get in touch Graham re some figures I need?

      Delete
    2. Just e.mail when you're ready 😀

      Delete
  4. Looks great. Wish I was playing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its just a normal game Paul, nothing too taxing really.

      Delete
  5. Lovely SYW figures, I've only just had any kind of game with my Italian wars figures and I've been painting them for years! Nice union troops too.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iain,
      My Italian Wars armies are worse. I am still adding to them and there are a lot of units that havent been used, ever.

      Delete
  6. That’s a very fine looking collection of SYW figures there. Nice work on the last(?) Union Infantry too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David
      the older figure ranges still have the allure for me.

      Delete
  7. Nice to see the troops getting a run out on the battlefield

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil,
      I must admit I was surprised how nice they looked en masse.

      Delete
  8. A very beautiful display Robbie, very inspiring. Though not a fan of gloss varnish myself your and Colin's SYW have a wonderful classic charm

    ReplyDelete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating