If anyone were to check my other blog,you would realise that I am embarking on another wargame project,this time the early Italian Wars.
Today I attended Derby World championships where I bought part of my new army from the excellent Dave Thomas of Perry fame.
However when I returned home,I checked my SYW war unpainted figures,and still have a lot of metal stored away,not counting three battalions of secondhand painted foot figures and three regiments of secondhand cavalry regiments,all to be repainted.
So when do you decide enough is enough. In the past I have based my armies around specific battles or campaigns,hence my complete Malburian armies for 1705, and my complete armies for the campaigns of 1805,1810, and 1812. Luckily these are in 6mm and dont take up that much space.
However for my SYW project,I just set away painting with no real target for the units,just a quick wants list,which is probably not the way to do it. I still need more allied cavalry to counter the Austro French army.
For Christmas last year,my wife kindly checked my Santa's wish list and bought me a regiment of 36 Stadden Prussian Grenadiers,so they need to be painted, then I have a regiment of Hanoverian dragoons to paint,not counting two regiments of Minden French,the list just goes on.
I think in the case of my two projects I will have to alternate between the two armies,concentrating on doing a two for one painting job.That is two renaissance units to one SYW unit.
I know the Foundry figures,look a bit bizarre facially,but they are nice uniforms to paint.
Here is the British one.