Sunday 14 July 2013

Summer, the time for campaigning?

Its been a while, although I've managed to put one post on my sister blog.
 Why is it that in historical terms Summer was the time for campaigning, but in wargaming terms, Summer is a quiet time.
There are very few wargaming shows in July and August, and clearly judging by the blogs, a lot of wargamers have family commitments.
 I was no exception in June, but most of my absence was purely selfish, with the return of the Springsteen world tour.
 I still managed a bit of wargaming, and also a bit of painting.
I have been concentrating on my renaissance army, but I am still chipping away at my SYW project, which is really a long labour of love.
 I was fortunate enough to pick up three units of Hinchliffe painted units, and only had to add to them to make them into  36 figure units. This is the first that I have completed. The figures were beautifully painted and I feel very privileged to have been able to own them
You can see my handiwork in the back ranks, which I have tried to paint in a similar style.

  Rick Priestly in the latest WSS, wrote on an interesting point. Are we collectors or are we wargamers. I know I am both. In fact I know I've got a problem as I always feel the need to complete a collection, whether it is a magazine, series of books or an army.
 Hence I am still painting SYW units. I know I can never have all the units that fought, but I cant help painting units that have taken my fancy, ie The Royal Italians in the French Army to the Saxon Garde grenadiers.
 There is probably a name for it. I call it a beautiful obsession. It sounds better than a sad git with more money than sense. Still onwards and upwards. Anyway talking of obsessions, I'm off to Ireland to see Bruce again, sad yes, excited, you bet.





7 comments:

  1. Lovely figures, and an apt term. "Beautiful obsession" works well.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to echo every single word of Stokes' comment (save the signature which I'll replace with my own):

    Lovely figures, and an apt term. "Beautiful obsession" works well.

    Best Regards,

    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Beautiful obsession" - I love it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed! And lovely figures too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fortuneately I'm over my temporary obcession with 3 cornered hats...been there done that .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andy, Andy....
      I dont think you ever get over an obsession,it just lies asleep until something kicks it off again.

      Delete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating