Sunday 11 November 2018

The Great Model Railway Challenge.

                    The Great Model Railway Challenge. [crap name for a decent watch]

  Watching anything hobby related on the television usually ends up as a toe curling spectacle with the presenters taking great pleasure in highlighting the eccentricity of the hobbyists and generally letting them talk themselves into confirming just how weird some people are who like unusual hobbies.Like nutters on the last bus home.
 When I saw that there was to be a series called The Great Model Railway Challenge I suspected it would follow the pattern used for re-enacters, computer gamers and sadly wargamers.
 The first episode tended to confirm my cynical suspicions as the producers wheeled out a group of serious geeks resplendent in the obligatory black and far away stares.
 But I stuck at the series and as each leg of the challenge took place and I have become more impressed in the way the whole series has been conducted.
 Yes there was the obligatory, 'lets take the piss out of these geeks' by introducing a superfluous craft something useful from this rubbish I've found leg.
  To the credit of the railway modelers they took it in their stride with some clubs actually refusing to take part in the attempt to dumb down their hobby. It didnt help them, they still got knocked out.
 Each week three teams of railway modelers are challenged to create a fully working display in three days using a theme set by the programmers.
  I have been impressed by the ingenuity and abilities of the club members although I was distracted by other items on show when a 'Steam Punk??? modelling club brought along two women dressed in basques. The ploy didnt work and they didnt get through, mind there display was unfinished. Must have been the feathers they wore.
 What really impressed me was the actual layouts they produced and the speed they were able to make great looking realistic terrain.Sadly as usual the actual figures were up to their usual standard of naff figures badly painted.
One team displayed the French Imperial Garde Grenadiers tramping over some beautiful fields [ don't ask] that looked like they had been painted by a drunken chimpanzee. How does that happen? These modelers make wonderful working models with great looking backdrops and models and then stick crap figures all over the place. A bit like the old Subutteo fan figures.
 So how is this wargame related? Well these clubs were in the main very good and I now want a railway layout. It wont happen, but the clubs got me interested in their hobby which was a good thing. Give it a go, the terrain was inspiring.
Could there ever be a wargame programme using a similar challenge? I doubt it. But wargames clubs refighting battles from history in some sort of knockout competition could be entertaining. Imagine a Blackpowder challenge fighting the main battles of the Napoleonic Wars?
 Somehow I know that certain wargamers would shoot the hobby in the foot by insisting on turning up decked out bizarrely or storming off after a hissy fit. Still it would make good television. Now if I can only find some scantily dressed basque wearing women to be on my team.

















11 comments:

  1. I too am a latent model railway-ist. Were there 48 hours in a day instead of just 24. . .

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all are Stokes. I would love a train layout simply to watch the trains going around and round.

      Delete
  2. I’ve had an incomplete layout in the loft now for 16 years! Not enough hours in the day even in retirement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Has it no wargames use David? Many moons ago I saw a train layout that was early World War 2, I was fascinated by it.

      Delete
  3. Yep, watched the first episode and gave it up, snooty bloke bringing 90% of the models pre-made to the competition while the others made stuff on the day, pillock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave, remember him well.It didnt help in the end. I watched the final this week and was well impressed by the Aberdeen club who made some lovely models.

      Delete
  4. I missed this programme Robbie. War games programmes don't seem to work but there might be a successful formula out there. Mind you the programmes would be filled with the 'old guard of the hobby and not a Basque in sight. If you ever feel like selling up and going down the railway route can I have your Frenxh 😉😉😉😉 All the best and see you in Stockton no doubt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly I will miss Stockton this year Colin. Its the first time I have missed the show in all its guises. It looks like it will be a belter. As for wargames programmes, the difficulty is attempting to inject some action into the proceedings. But then people watch cricket so there is hope.

      Delete
    2. That's a shame. I was looking forward to a chat.

      Delete
  5. Robbie,I too enjoyed the series,but remember it's television-three days???-never in a month of Sundays,still it's a start for the TV companies to investigate new programmes and hobbies.
    johnc(william)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your blog,I sincerely hope that your blog a rapid increase in
    traffic density,which help promote your blog and we hope that your blog is being updated.
    gclub

    ReplyDelete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating