Thursday 21 March 2019

Some more Warrior ECW goodies.

 Well I'm starting to make inroads into my ECW backlog and have managed to base up some more of my units. I also was able to finish my two Warrior personalities. King Charles and his nemesis Olive Cromwell. Both figures are very characterful [is there such a word?]

 Naturally Cromwell needed some divine inspiration, this time a very old Warrior figure given to me by John Reidy who has kept this chap since the 1980's. Its a shame Warrior no longer produce him.


 I also put together a royalist foot regiment using part painted figures from my York purchases and unpainted new casts.Its came out very nicely if a bit bright. Between the gloss varnish and my highlighting all the uniforms they do stand out somewhat. To be honest it is what I intended,.I thought it captured the 1980's very nicely. Bugger reality and instead lets have some brightness on the table.


 This time a part painted royalist horse regiment, repainted in the main, again in bright colours to catch ones eye.Gilder knew how to capture the 'dash' of the Royalists, a lovely old figure. Well for me it is. So my ECW old school armies are starting to progress nicely and I hope to use what is painted very soon, no doubt like all newly painted units they will leg it.



 Finally, a scraped together Union regiment. This time Sash and Sabre castings. They are very nice figures with a lot of action in them. I've cobbled together some more to paint as a Confederate unit but more of them anon. Once again wargaming habits reared their heads and I 'had?' to purchase a new regiment of Union figures from the new North Star releases. Now I know I dont need them and the chances of them being used frequently are pretty remote but they were such nice figures I had to possess another Irish Regiment, this time barefooted. Mind they were also on offer, so technically I was saving money. 
 As many other wargamers will have noticed as one gets more mature it seems pieces begin to fall off you with regularity. Never mind having  back jip I now have a grandchild's plague courtesy of my daughter's off spring. So between sitting on one cheek of my backside and shoving tissue up my constantly running nose I'm doing okay thanks very much. Still I've got my toys so one cant really grumble too much.



16 comments:

  1. More goodies, indeed! Beautiful and vivid brushwork. You are cranking through your figure backlog at an astonishing clip.

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wish I was Jonathan but I cannot seem to do more than an hour or so at a time.

      Delete
  2. By gum but your productivity would shame any of us! As you know I can't get my head round the good old days, mainly because they weren't all that good really. But it clearly makes you happy so more power to your elbow! I hope you are soon betterish! Did you get my email yesterday by the way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did get your message yesterday David but felt I should merely read it and say nowt. Its a new idea that Im attempting to practice more and more.I know what your saying about the good old days. I think you misunderstand me a little. What I enjoyed from the past was the enthusiasm generated by wargamers who had discovered what was a new hobby. Lets be correct there wasnt really a 'history' re wargaming prior to the mid 1960's.I know in the main the figures and service were crap but the magazines and ideas that were generated were very good and it seemed that the wargamers were very keen. They probably still are but as I am now classed as a veteran one feels something is missing. Nostalga sometimes helps alleviate that feeling.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Neil. Painting older figures doesnt lend itself to using the alternative techniques I use for newer figures.

      Delete
  4. Excellent pieces if work there Robbie. The only way is shiney as far as proper wargaming goes. Keep it up. Hope your grandchild plague leaves you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Colin for the comments.I must admit that gloss varnish does work for more colourful periods and older figures ranges. I think it tends to distract from the imperfections in the figures. I do however like a matt finish on some newer figures and later periods.

      Delete
  5. Robbie,
    More excellent work painted as they should be glossy and bright. Good old days! Well in some ways they were I think - by the simplicity of everything. We weren't spoilt for choice, inundated with rules or games systems - but what do I know 🤣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we know quite a bit Graham but everyone has an opinion that is important to them.Enjoy the USA.

      Delete
  6. Fabulous stuff Robbie! I envy your productivity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Conrad you have a perfect alibi, two young children and a cat. Im envious of the cat but not the children. Ive found as one gets older you become very selfish and protective of ones pleasures. Now there's something to look forward to.

      Delete
  7. Superb, love the royalist horse regiment with its wonderful colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again Phil, I think one will need sun glasses to play with these toys.

      Delete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating