Wednesday 22 May 2019

The English Civil War gathers pace.

Well Ive managed to crack a few Royalist regiments off somehow. Normally I do one of each side at a time but I recently bought some old pre painted Hinchliffe figures from Ian Hinds that looked royalist. Most of the figures were only averagely painted but they did contain some real gems amongst them that I barely repainted because they were very good.
            So the next few images are a step back in time again for any wargamer of a certain age.



The standard bearers and drummer were amongst the stuff from Ian Hinds, yes they are Mini Figs, but they are very nice figures and were really well painted.


Similarly in Tilliers Regiment, the Mini Fig officer was just too nice to repaint, although I did bring a bit more colour to his pants and boots.
These are all my own work and are the second of Rupert's horse regiments. I managed to purchase a few extra riders from the Foremost range, 'Rupert's Charge' off E Bay at a good price. So it would have been rude not to paint them up. I now have three regiments using figures from 'Rupert's Charge.'


John was given an old Mini Fig Royalist officer way back in the 1980's and part painted him before chucking him in his spares box. He gave me him a couple of weeks ago. Anyway he is now in charge of the Royal Standard. The foot figures was another Mini Fig from my purchase at York back in February. Yes they are a tad stunty but I really like them. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say. 


Finally a couple of commanded shot units made up of Mini Figs, again from the purchases back in February. Historically too well equipped, but I like them a lot.
In the background is some of my newly painted fencing bought on Sunday, courtesy of Rubicon Models, and very nice it was to paint.

19 comments:

  1. Robbie, your ECW collection must be getting quite large with the addition of so many newly formed units. Great work on all of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gave myself a bit of a shock last night Jonathan when I decided to check what I needed to complete the project. My Royalists are nearly there but I need to crack on with the Parliamentarians to balance things up.

      Delete
  2. Some excellent additions to your collection

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil, using old painted figures accelerates the completion. They can be extra work sometimes, but normally it can be quicker.

      Delete
  3. Splendid. Are you trying to do the ECW on a 1:1 basis?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would seem so Colin! You know it is, look at your armies. The trouble is I no longer draw up lists of what I intend to paint and simply put my head down and crack on.My ACW armies are similar in their lack of planning.

      Delete
    2. Wouldn't have it any other way!

      Delete
  4. They all look lovely. As if they have leapt from the pages of a very early issue of Miniature Wargames, say, about 1983.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stokes, that is exactly the look I am going for although I will never match the Gilder armies in style at least I can show these young whipper snappers what can be achieved with more mature figures.

      Delete
  5. I'm a Minifgs lover as well... it's somethign about their faces and the fact they look so workman'like... :o))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It strange Steve, when far younger I used Mini Figs as a last resort thinking them inferior to Hinchliffe and the newer makes. Now much wiser? I totally get it with Mini Figs. I must admit the horses still bring me out in a cold sweat sometimes though.

      Delete
    2. Oh, those horses... back ends as wide as a bus.. :o)

      Delete
  6. For a nostalgia driven collection yours would be hard to beat. But, so many Royalists...Obadiah Bykleigh would be quite distressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are totally correct David. Hopefully the balance will be restored soon although I do love a lost cause.

      Delete
  7. Stop posting these Robbie I'm getting very jealous!
    Dave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Dave, my blog drives my painting sometimes.

      Delete
  8. More lovely units! Great looking cavalry,I have a soft spot for ECW minifigs, because of the airfix ECW guide which I think is what drew me into the hobby, with grainy, tiny black and white photos! The few minifigs I bought in the 1970's have made it into my mostly warlord/Essex armies, they seem a bit more compatible than the hinchcliffe ones.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iain, I cherish that guide along with Charlie Wesencraft's lovely renaissance book.Hopefully I will be able to paint up a couple of proper Mini Fig regiments in the near future.

      Delete
  9. Fabulous units. I was a huge Minifigs fan, but those armoured musketeers! At least the paint job does them justice. I had them in 25 and 15mm :-)

    ReplyDelete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating