Saturday 15 February 2020

Event Cards in Pike and Shotte.

 I know it appears like Ive been quiet on the wargames front but that isn't the case, well not really. John and I have played several games, all of which have been defeats for me albeit very close calls. A case of only if. But then if can be a very big word. Anyway I have been painting various figures and renovating old units. I had read a lovely article in an old Wargamers Digest about the history of the Cherokee Braves and decided I wanted the unit in my rebel army.  Company D figures produce the mounted and dismounted versions so I treated myself to them. This little company have excellent mail order and also added a couple of freebies, so whats not to like.
I understand the braves were one of the last units to surrender and had been an effective combatant unit and not just the usual irregular marauders.They even captured some Union artillery at the Battle of Shiloh. 
 So these are my version of the dismounted unit, they are armed with a right old mix of weapons but I like them.
 I was also able to locate an old painted ECW unit containing a number of Garrison figures, so naturally I had to have them and basically given them a bit of a touch up. They're not brilliantly painted but I like them.They are now carrying the Queens Lifeguard standards and will hopefully add to the glory of the regiment.
                                   


I used them in my latest battle of the civil war, except they were rated as raw for the game.We scatter the odd preacher amongst the units so I gave them a Catholic preacher to lend them some steel.Sadly he wasn't needed as they failed to act with any real enthusiasm. 
 I also utilized the event cards that Eric the Shed had created and tested them to see how they added to the game.Eric very kindly sent me a download so I was able to get a set printed up on card by a local print shop.They are lovely things with a nice image of the wars contained on them
 Each side had a large pack of various event cards and we dealt each side five.
 These could be played during the game to add a bit spice. Or so we thought.....
John and I used the Pike and Shotte rules which give a decent game with little need to task ones brain too much.Naturally I commanded the Royalists while John acting as Essex led the nasty rebels.
 Because the Royalists are pike heavy it pays not to hang around too much as the royalist shooting isnt very good. So I naturally decided to take the battle to the rebels who were tardy in their initial movements. Things seemed to be progressing well, my dragoons had succeeded in their task of seizing a field where they could annoy the rebel cavalry. My infantry in the centre were doing okay and on the left wing my infantry were causing John's larger cavalry brigade some discomfort with the musketry.


 And then as I ordered Rupert to lead the cavalry reserve across the river to tip the balance on my right everything suddenly imploded.The reserve consisted of the best cavalry on the field led by the best commander with a 9 rating. Simples really....
 First Rupert blundered. Then the subsequent throw caused the reserve to retire two moves causing chaos as the reserve split into smaller units leaving a couple of troops in the middle of the rive! The 'pile of ordure' says it all. This causes a minus one on the command throws until the next sucker rolls a blunder.
 The same move I rolled a double one for my main artillery battery which caused it to blow up.
 And as my timings went awry. John encouraged by the lack of firepower somehow managed to charge into the flank of my Kings Lifeguard led by Charles! and things were slowly unwinding to put it mildly.
Because Rupert had scattered his command, my right wing cavaly were in deep trouble. Well actually the whole lot collapsed in a welter of shaken markers as the rebel cavalry ploughed through them.

 Somehow my Lifeguard refused to collapse but was forced to retire led by a battered King who was stuck in the middle of the confused unit. It didnt matter because the remainder of the command became shook following a desperate charge by the Duke of Yorks regiment that succeeded in the melee but tipped them into a shaken status.

                          
 And the cards. Well John used a 'sniper' card that failed to shoot my cavalry commander. My double volley card failed to hit anyone! John's similar card also hit no one! I did manage to use one card to disorder the charge of the Lobster's but my infantry didnt need that help and basically repulsed them easily.
 But I did enjoy using them and I can see them becoming a regular feature of Pike and Shotte games.
 So another close defeat but it really didnt matter because it was a really fun? game and sometimes losing is as good as a win.
 Just to prove it wasnt just me that blunders.A Parliamentarian commander ends up in the poo.




12 comments:

  1. Excellent post, Robbie with plenty to chew on!

    You don't often see Indian regiments in ACW collections so good for you! At Pea Ridge, the Confederates fields an entire brigade of Cherokee, Creek, Chickasaw, and Choctaw.

    You newly acquired Regiment of Foote looks fine to me. Enjoyed your ECW battle as well. "Pile of poo?" Every table should have one!

    I rarely count victories (these are few) but instead count number of enjoyable gaming sessions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johnathan, I was intrigued by the informative article from the old Digest.I dont expect them to set the wargaming table alight but why not?

      Delete
  2. I do like 'The pile of odure' counter, might just pinch that one mate :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a problem, I 'borrowed' it from Colin of Carry on up the Dale. It adds a little humour to a blunder and also reminds us that the specific commander drops one command pip until the next victim rolls a blunder.

      Delete
  3. The cards look interesting. I did something similar for our ACW games. Like the unfolding debacle of your ECW game, you should play Phil I think...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am extremely impresed by Eric the Shed's cards. He very kindly sent the pdf and I got them printed by my local printer. There are a lot of events in each pack and I thought they just add a little something.A set for the ACW sounds great as well, and why not. It all creates friction.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Neil, it was a very pleasant game and whats not to like, toy soldiers and a bit crack.

      Delete
  5. Nice work Robbie. Table looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking game with well painted figures and nice scenery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, I love bright figures and well oredered terrain.

      Delete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating