Monday 12 July 2021

Visions of the Four Riders.

 


Lying awake last night recovering from the inevitable trauma of another penalty f@@k up I got thinking about wargaming post freedom??? day on the 18th July. I suppose it was a subconscious attempt to blot out my disappointment.  Anyway;

Will everything revert to how things were pre lockdown?

Will wargames shows initiate limited numbers to allay any fears from the clientele?

Or will things slowly return to normality?

With freedom day beckoning we again have division, rage and anger amongst the ill informed, deluded and downright dangerous. When is it ever safe to say 'go about ones business?' 

For some, perhaps never.

For others who deny the very existence of Covid it cant come soon enough, but of course they will still contend it was all part of a world conspiracy instigated by Bill Gates, the Jews, the Illuminati or whichever bollocks they believe in. 

Me? I would like to think I walk a middle way and recognise that we will have to live with Covid, just like we live with numerous other deadly illnesses and diseases. It will probably mean a yearly vaccination which is fine with me if it means some sort of acceptable normality. It will possibly mean a record of the said vaccination's on my passport which is again fine by me if it means I can have the option to travel again in the future. I refuse however to hide away when science has provided us with the means to live fairly freely. I refuse to run when someone wants to hug me [ all offers welcomed] and I certainly wont be dictated to by some social harridan who claims Im being irresponsible by not wearing a mask in the park.

But what has this to do with wargaming? I truly worry about my hobby. If I am able to attend a show this year I will be surprised. I hope, but somehow know its going to be a very slim chance of happening. Wargames clubs? Well not being a member of any said club I still think there will be additional issues especially if they contain a mix of Covid deniers and Covid zealots who demand various protections be set in place. Of course that wont be just wargames clubs, but  I do predict some issues re safety etc.

So the best of luck to all wargames show organisers and wargames clubs but I ask that common-sense be used at all times, if only in an attempt to introduce some normality in our hobby.

 Oh and well done Italy, my second favourite national team. 

Postscript;

In the latest edition of Miniature Wargames the editor, John Treadway wrote an interesting editorial titled 'sheep.' I mention it simply because he echoes my views re wargames shows and in particular the willingness for organisers to cancel shows instead of actually considering the risks and whether they can be managed instead of simply cancelling everything to the detriment of our hobby. Somehow I feel slightly vindicated regarding the risk averse attitude of certain section of the wargaming firmament.





24 comments:

  1. Well said sir, I fear until they can cure stupidity freedom day will just mean the freedom to do what they want regardless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being of a certain age I view the 21st century as the onset of a new dark age as regards man's ability to ignore knowledge and embrace crass stupidity as some sort of virtue. As a daft lass on Gogglebox said, 'whats the point of general knowledge when we,ve got Google.'

      Delete
  2. No doubt the media will be awash pedalling stories of selfish actions, all part of project fear, while the silent majority will go about their daily lives exercising should common sense judgements. I'm afraid though I foresee shows policed by a handful of volunteering members struggling to cope and throwing in the towel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im pretty certain that 'freedom day' will unleash the two extremes of behaviour David. Those screaming at the people attempting to return to normality and those who throughout have done whatever they wanted to the detriment of everyone. Wargaming has always contained eccentrics, which I found a likeable trait, unfortunately some will show their darker side I fear.

      Delete
  3. Well said Robbie, I'm with you! (Gosh!) Have a virtual Southern Softie hug from me mate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris, nice offer but to be honest I was hoping for a hug from some nubile female who has a hankering for an out of shape oldie.

      Delete
  4. Robbie,
    I’m with you on this, I’m not really certain either if any shows will take place either. Partizan would be my go to show if there was a choice. As to clubs our local club is open ( it’s in a pub) limited numbers etc but to be honest I’ve been a couple of times just for a chat but the deniers and zealots are there and I didn’t enjoy going to be honest. Let’s see what happens over the next year hopefully some balance can be found

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im expecting the remainder of this year to be a catalogue of cancelled events Graham simply because I dont think there will be an appetite for the organisers. What I would say is I cant see things ever improving so really we need to accept that this will be the best it gets and simply manage our risks personally.

      Delete
  5. I had booked accommodation for the Hammerhead show (31st July), which both sadly and I now think wisely was cancelled. It seems to me that the path we need to tread, for the rest of this year certainly, is to vaccine and combine that with still taking reasonable care.

    At this moment in time, three separate households connected to my family have a member with Covid, so it is very prevalent at the moment and 'freedom Day' perhaps sounds a too optimistic term from my seat.

    Hugs to all :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes Hammerhead. I wasnt that impressed with that cancellation simply from a purely selfish point of view Norm. What I would say is if your family members have Covid, how ill are they? What age are they which is clearly very important and have all at risk family members been vaccinated. We are going to have to accept we have to learn to live with the risks and act accordingly using common sense and a heap of science.

      Delete
    2. In two households it started with the two 5 year olds and within a few days brought mum and dad down (in their late thirties), in the other household a late 30’s male got it, 3 days later his wife had it, but their kids have still not tested positive! Strange.

      They have been between no symptoms and a heavy cold. Two have also lost sense of taste, nobody thank goodness have come even close to thinking about hospital.

      Delete
  6. Interesting and thoughtful post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vey kind although Im not certain about the thoughtful aspect, more to do with smouldering disappointment after the shoot out.

      Delete
  7. Thought provoking Robbie- I've found that many of my group just seem to have lost interest in gaming. It's unusual as we have all been at it for 30+ years. Hopefully everything will get back to normal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thats my biggest concern. I have certainly experienced this even though Ive devoted most of my life to the hobby. Its a real worry.We need a catalyst to reinvigorate interest, we need exciting games, we need to rediscover why wargaming is a great hobby to invest in.

      Delete
  8. We have been back at the club for three or four weeks, we have distance between tables but can do this without any problems. Some people continue to wear a mask but most do not, I suspect 90% of us are double japped, we also wipe the tables down when we leave. So we are pretty much back to normal and all the better for it. I do see 'Mask Wars' beginning on Monday however.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of being japped, it takes me back to my childhood games of Japs and English. [woke warning]

      Delete
  9. its a tricky balancing - as a person who is clinically vunerable 'freedom day' just means less freedom for me. When everybody had to distance/wear masks in shops etc I could go out (as they minimised the risk)and enjoy stuff. Without some safe guards (given the massive rise of delta variant) I shall now be (along with 1000's like me) in a kind of lockdown. I would prefer easing of some and retaining of others (like mask wearing) then at least the 1000s like me can enjoy some degree of freedom. I do understand your points, but really Im just jealous of you being in a position to be able to get out and about without worry. ;-) Stay safe. Rupert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can thoroughly understand your position and the need for caution and lets be frank if the deniers, deluded and selfish actually got vaccinated we would all be in a better place. Sadly these people seem more inclined to believe some ridiculous claims by some dangerous clown than the actual science which has been proven to give the country a real chance to resume something like a life. Unfortunately we are also suffering from some people who should know better offering images of Armageddon for whatever reason.

      Delete
  10. Good points and I agree with your sentiments. While I’d love to go to Partizan or Carronade I doubt I will, well maybe Partizan at a pinch. I don’t have a problem with having to wear a mask but I reckon at a show they ought to be mandatory.
    But I don’t need to go to any shows really, certainly not to buy stuff or see my mates, thanks to the internet and Zoom, which has become they new normal. And you and I have decent setups at home so we should continue to make the best and most use out of them.

    Keep safe
    Colin
    Ps I’m fair worn out after constant hugs from nubile young ladies fresh from the pool………..I wish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand your point Colin but for me wargaming is about the social interaction as well as the toys. We are social beasts at heart and boy do I need some interaction.

      Delete
  11. Robbie,I'll hug you,but only for money!!-Carronade is still on on the 25th September-we'll be going.
    johnc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats very kind John but Id rather be hugged by an itinerant living under the Tyne bridge. As for Carronade, Ill keep checking and may, just may venture into Crankieland.

      Delete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating