Wednesday 3 November 2021

Fiasco 2021.

Ive been a bit remiss in not providing a post regarding last Sunday's trip to Leeds to attend the Fiasco 2021 wargames show. Ive no excuse for this so I can only blame it on being a lazy sod. 
Anyway last Sunday I drove down to Leeds to visit he Jimmy Saville Centre [it is known by other names now]  and attend the Leeds Wargames Club show. The trip down was horrendous due to biblical level rain, but I did make it and managed to find a parking space in the multi storey near the Centre. But more of that later.

 I really enjoyed the show, probably more than usual, so I imagine thats due to post Covid hysteria.   

Anyone who has been to Fiasco before will know of the Stygian gloom caused by the black interior. Apart from that it is a good venue and perfectly placed adjacent to the Leeds Armouries and the wonderful collections.  The show contained a fair amount of traders, some of which were new ones.
Northumberland Painting Services who also produce Reiver Figures had a new range of figures on show. A lovely range of 28mm Thirty Years War figures. They were well sculpted and are definitely a look. I was able to get my fix of Colour Party paint who are a hard firm to track down. So I made certain I stocked up on my base paints.

   Now that I've decided what Im collecting and painting next I was able to raid the Dave Thomas store and pick up some of the figures Ill need. Well except being the fool I have become I managed to leave them on Dave's stall when I left. Sadly this is happening more regularly.

Games wise, they were all of a decent quality. The standout ones for me was the refight of Stoke Field and Ken from Yarkshire Podcast fame's Italian Wars battle.
Like a moth around a flame I enjoyed the spectacle of lots of renaissance figures and colourful flags, and f course, Ken's rendition of Cesare Borgia. I might nick that idea I think. There  was also a lovely unit of Papal Guard which again I will plagarise. I do have a small Papal unit but this one was a 24 figure unit in Julius's livery. It looks better as a 24 figure unit, even though Im not certain it was that big.
I only took images of the Italian Wars game which isnt a reflection of the quality of the other games, but more down to the fact I was distracted by bumping into various people I haven't seen for years. Literally.It was great to talk drivel about toys and rules. So did I enjoy the show? Yes I did. Fiasco is a medium sized show which offers up traders you might never encounter otherwise, and with its close proximity to the Armouries its a great way to spend a Sunday.
And the parking? A tad on the pricey side Im afraid, but then Im more used to free car parks.
 

16 comments:

  1. It took me almost 45 minutes to get out of the car park, the machine showed 'Free Passage' when I went in then wanted a ticket when I tried to leave, along with at least twenty others, not something I would like to repeat. The show was fine, especially the Italian Wars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed the day Robbie, I would have gone but got laid low with Covid . Maybe next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw you had succumbed Graham, its all that bad smoggy air.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful looking game, Robbie. I can easily see how this presentation would capture your focus. Great pictures too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im a sucker for the Italian Wars Johnathan, tbh given the poor lighting at the show it is difficult to do the games justice,

      Delete
  4. Ha ha ha ha ha! Wait, you're serious?!? There are free car parks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Im really pleased, but given I travel to Leeds once a year Ive yet to see any sign posted. But if it makes you happy well crack on. Next time Ill record my latest trip to outpatients and then you can have another good laugh.Anything to keep you happy.

      Delete
  5. You are retired and therefore cannot be a 'lazy sod' by definition, merely proceeding at your own pace. The pictures are nice, perhaps I should expand my Italian Wars game? Parking charges, sadly just a reflection of the woke anti car culture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David and yes you should expand your Italian Wars armies, there are always units you will want. As for driving in Leeds. Each time I go the system has changed and is becoming increasingly difficult. Clearly Greta doesnt suffer from living in a really rural area where there is only one mode of transport that is guaranteed to get you where you want and its not Shank's pony.

      Delete
  6. Fiasco 2021... a good description of what's been happening in our part of the world! Glad to hear that in yours it's a show!

    Cheers, and great to know you're getting back to some relative wargaming normality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ive always liked Fiasco and before all the road changes I liked Leeds itself.

      Delete
  7. Great to meet up with you again Robbie, and no I'm not selling you my Cesare figure 😄 The Papal Guard probably wasn't that big, but foot units need at least 24 figures to make them look any use.
    If you would like me to do a Cesare base for you let me know, a few extra Steel Fist Gendarme in a box on top the ones I need for another base for you and I'm sure I can work something out

    All the best Ken

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ken. I have a Papal Guard but only 12 figures strong which are classed as a small unit.I wish I had my travelling lighting with me because I couldnt do your game justice. As for you kind offer, I would want a couple of semi naked women and Micholetto the assassin on the base with Cesare to give it a story.

      Delete
  8. Lovely looking Italian wars figures, we could do with some more additions to your other blog,surely!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, and I do have some news that will go onto my additional blog.

      Delete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating