Saturday 31 December 2022

A non Review of 2022.


 Its that time of the year again, when one is supposed to 'review' the year that is about to become history. Looking back can sometimes be emotional and other times downright depressing as one realises how you've wasted time that can never be recovered.

So on balance I think its fair to save I've wasted a lot of time I will never get back. That doesn't mean some good things didnt happen it just means I didn't achieve some tasks I had set myself and that I wanted to complete before I shift this mortal coil. Luckily for the reader none of them concerned wargaming and therefore are of no interest to anyone, including myself. If that makes sense.

                        Anyway on to more important and relevant matters, ie Wargaming
I notice certain publications have issued their list of this years best rules, but that's a difficult list to make given how subjective it actually is, especially when I didn't recognise two of the three rule sets, at all. A bit like all new technology, Ive been left behind. 
Their top rules I did recognise and in choosing Lion Rampant which I have played several times, I can understand the choice. I cant argue with them being named as number one as the latest edition of Rampant is a beautifully produced book, well laid out and providing a great set of simple and understandable rules that I have heavily invested in, albeit using a greater number of miniatures than recommended. 
Being the 2000's some pedants cried foul because they were an updated set of rules as opposed to a 'new' set. I do wonder at the mindset of some people. From a personal point of view I think the new Never Mind the Billhooks deluxe rule-set should have at least tied for first place with Lion Rampant even though the pedants could claim that Billhooks is also an 'updated' rule set, albeit now in a proper rule book, with beautiful images, expanded nations to choose from etc,etc.
 I admit I am biased as I have played both regularly.
Wargames rules are subjective as Ive stated, but what I look for now is definitely different from the rules I sought as a wargaming pup.Like most wargamers lucky enough to have been born pre Beatles we sought 'realism' and detail while ignoring the elephant in the room which is key, 'FUN.' I think that back then we were attempting to justify the fact that we played with toy soldiers by emphasizing the research we did to create the armies. Of course you realise that Featherstone and the other pioneers were right from the start, wargaming as we know it can never be 'realistic' and capture the terror and confusion of battle.[Thank God] but the games can provide a feel for the period and hopefully provide similar problems to the generals of the time faced. 
But to be very honest, wargaming and the necessary rules to play the game have to be for me not only straightforward [ie. simple] but also fun with a capital F. 
I can no longer be troubled by lists of factors to determine kills, morale or whatever. Life is simply too short. I want escape. I want my realism to be centered around historical tactics [ which can be difficult] and decently researched uniforms [if there are any] weapons and decisions that don't involve too much mental pain. Gone are the days of lying awake thinking ' if only.' But most importantly it needs to 'look good.' Nothing makes me happier than seeing rows upon rows of toy soldiers marching towards battle.

                                        

I'll admit it I am a child,and probably have always been, and nothing takes me back to that feeling better than seeing carefully painted toy soldiers. Its often said that as we get older we regress into childhood. My wife often says I never left it which I fully accept.  
But I digress, this post is supposed to be a review of 2022, not a ramble into childhood.
   When I first started this blog, it was New Years Eve 2009. I was unwell, my wife was very unwell, the weather was terrible and basically I was bored. Tonight as I type this, Im unwell, the weather is unpleasant and my arrangements to see in the New Year have been cancelled, so nothing new. 
  Except Im not bored. Ive undercoated my new Eureka Miniatures Renaissance gun and crew. Ive also prepped some new medium cavalry for Lion Rampant and started the basing of some Burgundian archers. Ive received some new/old Slingshot magazines to read in bed tonight and I still havent opened my copy of Billhooks Deluxe. 
  What a brilliant hobby wargaming is, irrespective of scale, period and rules used. 
   So much to do and so little time to do it in. 
         There that's my review for 2022. 
So all the best to anyone who cares to read this rambling mess and let all your dice rolls be high. 


And finally, the poem I learned as a young child and never forgotten, which has always struck me as how one should live one's life.





12 comments:

  1. You have nailed it in so many ways with this end of year post! Here's to continued FUN and enjoying our hobby in the many ways it presents for 2023.

    Happy New Year,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stokes, and keep chipping away at your project.

      Delete
  2. A splendid, uplifting post Robbie. I think I agree with most of that! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David, why is it one takes years to finally get what its about. Hopefully we will bump into each other at Hammerhead.

      Delete
  3. Robbie, a great read and the poem say it all really. For sure my childhood has never left me and really neither has the hobby and like you I still get ‘excited’ seeing nicely presented troops on a good looking table.
    Like you I look at some of the rules I used to play and wonder how the hell I understood them in the first place, although to be fair I still remember huge chunks of WRG 5th and 6th edition Ancients and I do intend to play a retro game this coming year.!
    No resolutions from me, after my health shock I just want to drift along, play games and enjoy myself. Paint what I want, when I want. I can’t say there won’t be any new projects as there’s some really nice stuff out there. All the best Robbie, take care of yourself and enjoy the ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One cant beat drifting Graham although to be honest Ive done a bit too much of that these last few years. I never got my head around the ancients WRG rules and was deterred by the constant arguments re the rules.

      Delete
  4. A good review come musing upon our wonderful hobby there:). You've it the nail on the head on many things for sure. Loved the poem at the end and as you get older, you do appreciate having the time just to stop and let the World gently move on by. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. William Davi was quite a character and if you google him it is an interesting story.

      Delete
  5. It is a great hobby, isn't it?
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that you and I are certainly in agreement about wargaming and toy soldiers Robbie…
    The joy of seeing new or old shiny toy soldiers lined up for battle never goes away….
    I am the first to admit that a lot of my collections are me re-living a childhood that my parents couldn’t afford for me to have… I have no intention of ‘growing up’.
    Here’s to a more peaceful and toy filled 2023.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to read about your search for early Mini Figs Aly. I totally understand the reasons for it. Seeing units blacklined is still a beautiful sight.

      Delete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating