Monday 6 February 2023

York Wargames Show, 2023.

Yesterday was my yearly trip to the York Racecourse for their wargames show.Being the sad individual I am, I couldnt sleep the night before and arrived at the show an hour before opening. Given the trends last year I reckoned the day would be very, very busy, and for once I was right on the money. For many wargamers this would be their first show for a long while and with the added attraction of the return of the Tabletop Sale I suspected we would return to pre Covid numbers.  
The York club, in an effort to prepare things a little better allowed the first tranche of would be table toppers? an early entry into the show to allow them to be ready for opening time. I thought this a cracking idea, and thought about finding a few empty boxes to get in even earlier [ just joking]
Being number one in the queue, [yes I was that early,] I headed straight to the tabletop sale and because John was selling stuff I had been tipped off about someone selling some unpainted Brettonian archers. He wasn't wrong and I picked up a box of archers for what was effectively pennies. As I carefully trawled the tables I was surprised how few punters there were entering the room. Given past experiences I expected the area to be mobbed by 10.30. But it wasnt. 
I will try not to crow, but because of stuff I had bought I had to leave the show to take it back to my car and as I did so I realised just how long the queue was to get into the building and how slow the numbers were going down. Never one to pass up an opportunity to buy second hand stuff, I was quickly back up to the sale, and yes I ended up buying figures I didnt realise I needed.

 It became obvious that things weren't going well for the punters when I was able to find a table and settle down to the obligatory sausage sandwich without any trouble at all. Being the empathetic git I am I began to feel really sorry for the would be punters and the actual organisers as they tried to get things moving.[ honest]

I was able to have a nice chat with Charles Grant before things really became busy. After that it was into the fray bumping into various wargamers I hadnt seen for ages, and regular visits to the table top sale. Please forgive me for going on about it, but a lot of wargamers are downsizing their 'collections' and although I should be doing the same, I kept finding stuff I wanted. A special call out to the reprobates from Westerhope who bought me a cup of tea. It just shows you what persistence can do.
So what about the show. Well the trade seemed very busy although I only came away with some of the new Vallejo equivalents of the GW. Contrast range, a few expensive brushes and the new Hail Caesar rule book, which my wife was buying me for my birthday. Caliver had knocked a couple of pounds off the cost. 
And the games? Well the games were pretty good but one got the impression they were of secondary importance at the show. To be honest the show at York had been heading that way for several years and it didnt trouble me too much. I go to Newark to check out the games. York now has the feel of the old Northern Militaire in many respects, effectively a trade show with a few games to prove its about wargaming. I accept that, and for me its fine. I know others wont agree.
So did I enjoy the day? Damn right I did and for many reasons. It was great to see the place buzzing, it was great to meet up and talk about the hobby and of course the sale was a real bonus for me, as witnessed by the fact I spent way more than I intended. 

I am already looking forward to next years event.

 No doubt if one had been stood in the long queue for over an hour it may have dampened ones enthusiasm and Im certain there will be many complaints etc. Im certain the York group will sort things out but Ive got the feeling that Salute will replicate the York event, for numbers anyway.

Because I didnt take any pictures I thought one should see the latest stuff Ive been painting. Yes, old Games Workshop Space marines, for Xenos Rampant and my first batch of Garrison 25mm knights for Lion Rampant. I haven't totally lost my senses honest.
And just to prove I am still fighting historical battles, a couple of images from todays wargame involving a Roman civil war. Unfortunately John gave me a proper stuffing. The rules were the excellent Sword and Spear and gave a great game.



 

10 comments:

  1. Robbie, really glad you enjoyed the day and got some bargains. If you’ve seen my blog you will see I didn’t 🤣 for some of things you highlighted ( took almost 45 minutes to get in) I just get the feeling they have become complacent knowing gamers will come out of hibernation.
    I know gamers who offered to put on display games and never received a reply and likewise traders who made enquiries last year who again never received a reply. If you check their website and Facebook page very few updates until just before the show. Trader list with no info, no links all very poor in my eyes.
    I’m also told there been a fall out within the club with many historical gamers leaving partly over the term wargamer ( that’s one for you) and partly over where the club is going. I was also told the show only went on because of the contract the club has with the racecourse and they couldn’t cancel. I’m sure if that is the case then Some of the issues are explained. It’s a pity because this should be a premier event.
    I don’t care if it becomes just a trade show but let them announce that and put some effort into it ( rant over 😁)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear from you Graham. I got the impression that things were right given the lack of information on their site. As for the queue, well last year was similar if a little easier to cope with. As for the wargamer thing, I would like to think this is guff, but I know of another club in the North East who actually changed their name to exclude wargames in the title. I made the mistake? of commenting on it and was banned. I blame their education or lack of it. Ill be interested to see how Hammerhead goes.

      Delete
  2. You did well to beat the queue which I heard was about 45 minutes or so, which is way too long:(. Good finds on the TTS too and nice to have it to yourself due to the aforementioned entrance issues. For myself a show is more about the games than the traders, so York would not be high on my list of a show to attend. A real shame that issues within the club meant that potential games never got a look in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being a saddo I try to get to events early. Yes it was a pain getting up early but I felt it would be a very well attended show. It makes a change to be right.

      Delete
  3. I had expected to attend Vapnartak this year but found it was not possible when Sue had booked the theatre over the same weekend and Phil decided he didn't want to go. Too far for a day return driving now for me with a show sandwiched in between and hard to justify hotel expense when Hammerhead and WMMS are next month. Glad to read you had a grand day and bought shedloads of new toys. But the queues, what was going on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Theatre? You liberals. I will be at Hammerhead although I cannot justify the expense. Hopefully I will see you there.

      Delete
  4. Hi Robbie, I enjoyed your report and it is interesting to see a variety of perspectives on the show. Bring and buy stalls are typically rammed like a rugby scrum, the last York show I attended, I could even be bothered joining the B&B queue, but this year, my experience was like yours. I was in early and the delays in the queue meant that the B&B was relatively peaceful over that period.

    It is interesting to see that this year York got a big boost in numbers, but I suppose the real telling will be if the same numbers return next year. Some are mentioning Hammerhead, which is on next month and so York might have some future competition ….. though of course some with do both shows :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit Norm it was quite surreal to have the B+B almost to myself. I didnt know where to look first.Hence the heavy spending. I will be at Hammerhead as I like the whole affair and know there will be some very interesting games on show. As for competition, well thats a good thing isnt it?

      Delete
  5. Nice space marines and knights sounds like a good show to me!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok games Iain, far better trade event, so whats not to like.

      Delete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating