Thursday 4 January 2024

Intrusive Thoughts Syndrome.

 

Since I can remember I have always had these urges [steady] to say or do something inappropriate, usually in times of stress or when someone does or says something I think is really stupid. During the times when I worked for the Queen I was known as someone who now and again just might do something or say something that shouldnt be done or said. If you ever bump into me at a show please feel free to ask me to relay the 'Tommy' story which did get me in hot water and comic notoriety.
 It obviously caused my bosses a bit of worry and stress and could explain why I was given my own little office where they could hide me until something was happening and needed my attention.
 My yearly psycometric testing apparantly was the stuff of legends especially when the poor woman would ask about my views on bereavement, politics and the Senior management.
 I would imagine I would be unemployed within twenty four hours given the fragility of the modern police service and everyones craving for litigation. There seems too many oppourtunities for calling out moronic behaviour and views, I wouldnt stand a chance.

  I never knew that there was an actual name for this reckless behaviour, I just thought it was part of me and a bit like someone with turettes, expect I knew I was going to do it even though I knew I shouldnt. Now as with everthing in the modern age it has a name, Intrusive Thoughts. Except of course in my case its more intrusive actions. Strangely or perhaps it was the nature of the job I did, it gained me a reputation and eventually recognition that seemed to give me kudos and strangely awards???. 
Or perhaps it was just, 'oh,oh here's that nutter' type of recognition. It probably explains why I could always get a seat in the canteen, well before they closed them.

And what has this to do with wargaming one asks. Well since retiring these thoughts and actions have been my constant companion especially when wargaming, which is good right?
 Wild advances, tick. Ignoring the position and carrying on when it would be better to retire, tick. Having ones leader charging with his outnumbered troops, tick. So perhaps this is the explanation Ive been looking for as my defeats mount up like the poor Mags. [NUFC] and my generals fall heroically.
 It also could explain why I will buy figures when Ive already got a lot to paint or repaint.
  So in future should anyone question your lead mountain, just cite Intrusive Thoughts Syndrome or ITS to the experts like me, and demand an apology for feeling picked upon before breaking down in tears or cackling recklessly.
 I will be providing a Christmas? New Years Annual, but this came into my fevered mind first.







 

8 comments:

  1. There is a syndrome for everything nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No doubt, but when I read up on this one I was impressed. Its a pity they dont have one for Wargaming generals.

      Delete
  2. I quite often qualified for a yellow card during my police service - even back then, some people couldn't cope with my sense of humour. One advantage of growing older, I have found, is that it is so much easier just to tell idiots to fuck off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah yellow cards Iain, that takes me back. I earned one for opening the door for the lecturer, followed by a second for holding her chair to sit down. I admit I did it deliberately but it got me out of the presentation sans the Macpherson Report. Apparantly two yellow cards got you a red one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This syndrome probably explains why I never got promoted to Chief in the RN, as I never suffered fools gladly.
    Though when dangerous work was required they called me, go figure 😁.
    Still I rarely roll the winning dice on the wargame table but this does not stop me from thinking I am a good wargaming general.

    Happy New Year Robbie,
    Willz.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's definitely a new "syndrome" to me, more likely a symptom of something else. Most likely you just don't care who you tick off! :-)

    I can see where it would be entertaining during a wargame!!!

    Oh, and about Tommy....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not suffering fools gladly is another trait we have in common then? The problem is there are so many of them about and it's growing by the year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They simply have become apparent as we age.

      Delete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating