Saturday 3 February 2024

Graham Cummings.


 It was quite a shock when I received the news that Graham Cummings had died suddenly. I have known Graham for many years. I first came across him when we met at Hartlepool Police office where he was a detective sergeant. But it was only after I bumped into him at a wargames show that it became very apparent we shred the same interests.
 After tha we invariably crossed paths whether through the job or through our hobby. At that time Graham would and shows with his best friend Lee, who was a very talented wargamer. Sadly Lee passed away many years ago now.
GRaham was a 'good lad' and clearly far brighter than yours truly as he climbed the police promotion ladder. It seemed that every time I travelled to Cleveland he was wearing a new uniform until eventually he joined the ranks of the shiny arses and became a Police Superintendent. We both found that sudden rise very funny [police joke]

When the concept [is there one?] of Old School Wargames took off Graham and I embraced it, except in typical style Graham decided to start commisioning SYW figures which blossomed into Crann Tara Miniatures, based initially around the Jacobite risings. He was very proud of his little company but as he began to struggle with ill health I think it became too much for him and he sold up to concentrate on gaming and his family. 
 The last time I sat down with him was at the Gentlemen Wargamers weekend last year where various Lace War enthusiasts wargame and generally have a good time.
 Graham seemed okay although he was clearly not himself and struggling with walking, but he didnt complain and just concentrated on the weekend. When I saw his blog a couple of weeks ago he was typically down playing his health issues which were not as good as he claimed.That was typical of the man.
  All I can say is Graham was a good man and weargaming is less of a hobby due to this tragic loss.

          Graham hosting his Jacobite game at the Military Gentleman weekend several years ago.














18 comments:

  1. I'm going to really miss his ready smile, humour and enthusiasm. Top bloke taken far too soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was Paul. Sadly he had left a comment on my blog two days before he died.

      Delete
  2. Shocking news. An old school gentleman, to be missed by many.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really gutted when I heard this news, he was a cracking bloke and I will miss his advice and help. My thoughts are with his family during this hard time for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very sad news indeed Robbie…
    A superb fellow and very entertaining company… He will be sorely missed.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was shocked when I heard the news from Paul R. on Facebook yesterday. I knew that Graham was in the hospital with a serious viral infection, but hadn't realized how serious it would prove to be. Graham was a fine fellow and I enjoyed working with him in the miniatures business, as we both had 18th Century figures made by Richard Ansell. He will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dont think anyone knew how ill Graham was Jim. He had been in touch just a few days before he died. Really tragic.

      Delete
  6. Nice tribute Robbie. Graham will indeed be greatly missed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fine tribute Robbie to a good man.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Robbie for an eloquent tribute to Graham, he was a fine man and will be missed.

    Willz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Will We wi have a drink when I see you next.

      Delete
    2. Yes indeed Robbie share a few sherbets to his memory.

      Willz.

      Delete
  9. Such a beautiful and informative blogs, I want to share with you all on this blog on how I received finance support from a reputable loan company via cf-loans@outlook and whatsapp +393510140339, I contacted them when I came across these contact online when a lady from mexico were giving a testimony about a loan finance then I decided to give a try that when I get my loan to expand my business at the rate of 2% ROI repayment. I'm so happy that I decided to share with anyone here looking for an affordable loan to reach out for this great opportunity. thank you blog admin.
    I hope my short life story changes someone's life out there.

    ReplyDelete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating