Tuesday 28 September 2010

My perfect wargames room.

Five years ago,my wife and I decided to sell our home, buy some land and build our dream home, what a naive pair we turned out to be.
  Between the perfect storm of the banking crisis,buying land at the height of the boom, having to fight the local planners for three years, and then being hit by a labour government intent on bankrupting the nation,its fair to say things have not gone to plan. The last factor has been the inability to sell my home, not withstanding the four sales that I have had throughout the process. Grand Designs my bottom.
  Part of my dream was to build my perfect wargames room. I am one of the lucky people that already has a wargames room,replendent with a 10' by 6' table, what more could I want.
 My hope was however to create a wargames room similar in standard to the one in the Callan film with Maximillan Schell, book shelves and all.
 Anyway we are now in the process of selling our home for the fifth time,and this time I hope to finally build my perfect wargames room with a larger and more refined table.Amongst the many chores has been the five designs that I have had to submit to the planners for my home, unfortunately due to financial constraints I am now in the process of submitting my sixth, with what I hope is the ultimate design for my dream room. The table in this one will be 12' by 6' with various sophisticated add ons a la the Wargames Centre,ie under table shelves and better lighting.
 If things for once go to plan I hope to be able to post photographs of the completed room on this blog in  eighteen months time. We all have a dream..................

1 comment:

  1. I am fortunate in that I have a very nice wargames room . . . but if I had one more thing to improve it, it without a doubt, it would be better lighting.

    Remember, sir, as we (and our opponents) get older, our eyes tend to get weaker.

    By all means plan for excellent lighting . . . it is the one feature of a wargame room that can make the most difference for the ease of the players. I know that far too often I've had to strain to see at various houses and other gaming venues . . . and it becomes quite fatiguing beside detracting from the enjoyment of good terrain and nicely painted figures.

    Good luck on approval, sir.


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating