Sunday 17 August 2014

Blenheim,the refight.

Well I have returned from my break in Cleethorpes/Grimsby where I took part in the Grimsby Wargames Club re fight of the battle of Blenheim, done in 28mm!
Firstly I would again like to thank Paul Robinson for his immense efforts in staging this re fight. I know how much effort normally goes into such things, but Paul exceeded this by not only painting extra figures [all done beautifully  I may add] but also laying on additional personal scenarios for each player in the battle, entertaining us the night before, and generally being a perfect host.
 Secondly I would like to thank all the Grimsby club members who either took part in the refight or acted as umpires. The whole set up was an absolute pleasure.
 An additional observation was regarding the actual wargames club itself. I dont think there can be that many wargames clubs who actually own their own clubhouse, and I mean a bone fide brick building.
 The setup is probably the model of how a wargames club should work.
 I think its fair to say that I have come back re invigorated as regards wargaming in general and inspired about staging or participating in a historic refight.
 What better way to spend a couple of days than talking about wargaming and then playing in a lovely looking battle.
 I hope Paul will be writing an article of all his efforts, so I wont dwell too much on the detail of the battle, other than to say the allies won [ narrowly] and John Churchill [Me] enhanced the wargaming world with his tactical nous, although my dice throwing still causes me pain.
 Anyway I have taken a few photographs of the event, which I hope can do the battle some justice.

The original allied set up facing towards Blindheim.


Some of the extra figures painted up by Paul for the game. As per the wargame rules, the newly painted unit in the white [Spanish I think] did bugger all and routed at the first opportunity.
 Obergalu Village.

                                                                                                 Blindheim Village



These Austrian cuirassiers while looking the business, flattered to deceive and failed badly in the fight around Oberglau village.
 The next three photographs dont really do justice to the painting standard of the figures. I hoped that I would be able to sneak them off the table but I failed. They were all painted by Andy of the Grimsby club.


My troops in the centre, lead by Charles and John Churchill showing how it should be done. In reality I spent a lot of time scampering back over the fascine causeway as the French turned my troops back. 

The French Musketeers attempting to hold up [and succeeding] in holding up my pursuit of the routing French Guard who are at the edge of the table doing what they do best, running away.
 The French reserve brought on by Tallard,



 A great game and a great weekend.

7 comments:

  1. A stunningly beautiful game! Glad it helped reinvigorate you.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I echo your comments Robbie, totally reinvigorated and even if the French Guard ran they did shoot a lot of British Guard. But the badge of effective unit goes to the French artillery who niggled you all day and seemed to find their range and effect very early on.
    But despite all that the British did what they do best, just keep on coming. Congratulations on your teams well deserved win :)
    Graham

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great Rob, and glad your wargaming mojo has been reinvigorated! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robbie
    I am so pleased that your day was so enjoyable that you have renewed vigor for the hobby. As organizer I can have no greater reward than to keep such a pleasant gamer in the hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good man, glad you enjoyed the day, it looks spectacular.
    Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great-looking game, sir. No wonder it re-invigorated you.


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's really something. Well done to all involved.

    ReplyDelete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating