Saturday 6 September 2014

Border Reivers 2014

Well today was the Border Reivers Show at the Gateshead Stadium.
The venue is better than the Newcastle Arena venue which suffered from shit lighting and because it was based in the main foyer, the show also suffered from an impersonal feel to it.
 Gateshead is better, but not ideal. But then not many shows have really good venues. I like the York venue, but I know other wargamers don't. I also like the Derby venue, but again there was complaints about the noise and also the building.
I will come back to the venue malarkey in a moment.
Anyway, Border Reivers. Its nice to be able to actually have a show to go to, but like buses they come along in two's.Tomorrow is Partizan at Newark.
  No doubt there will be some nice games at that show, with some wonderful figures painted up to a great standard. Reivers certainly was not  up to that standard, but I still enjoyed the show, and in particular I was very impressed and inspired by the Westerhope Wargames Group, '£60 Wargame'.
 The idea was simple, but like most things simplistic it worked very well.
Basically buy loads of large plastic figures and accessories from Poundland, Poundstretcher and the like, give them a quick paint job and away you go.
 The game was a medieval one, with working catapults, siege towers, a castle and lots of figures all for £60.00!
 The terrain was plastic grass, and away you go. My grandson is only three, but what I saw from Westerhope got me wanting to copy the ideas and put on a game for him.Well done gents, a great game and a great idea. I would love to see this featured in Wargames Illustrated!
[I dont think thats going to happen somehow] Talking to Charlie Wesencraft, he was really impressed by the game, and was envious of the set up. Now that's a complement.

  I had a good look at Graham Cummings Crann Tara range for the Jacobite wars. This is a great range, which I know will grow quickly. I treated myself to a regiment of Irish Piquets, standing in reserve. I know I dont need them, but they were just too well sculpted to not buy. I have already started undercoating the figures. I also got some Seven Years War wounded figures from my old workmate Stu at Colonel Bill's, again these are wonderful figures, which are seated looking knackered, so I had to buy a cart to go with them.It will make a nice diorama. I also found a small biography of Marshal Villars, of Blenheim fame. It looked an interesting purchase. So with more paint, that I really dont need, more paint brushes and the figures,I had a fruitful few hours.  








 I loved the figure of the king, with his faithful hound.

  Members of the Westerhope group, looking pensive.
                                   
 

4 comments:

  1. I presume that all of the photos were from the L60 game . . . and they look fantastic! I hope that they had handbills detailing everything so that others might well be inspired to emulate them. A brilliant concept and superbly carried out. Thank you for sharing it with us.


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nowt wrong with the wargame shown in your pictures, to my mind. But, as you say, Wargames Illustrated probably won't be publishing a feature on the game, which is a shame as it's probably more in keeping with the spirit, and style, of the original wargames (from 'yesteryear') than where the current wargames scene is today. It would be a good article to illustrate to those not aware of this fact, and showing that wargaming does not have to be an expensive hobby project, carried out to the higher end of the artistic range of modelling, painting and terrain use.
    Roy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robbie,
    Thanks for your purchase and your comments. Looking forward to seeing the unit of Piquets completed and based.
    Graham

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evening Graham,
      You have really started something here, because, I've nearly finished my first batch of 8 figures from your Irish Piquets. I have painted them as the Dillon Regiment, they are a beautiful set of figures. Cant wait for the French Light chaps.
      Thanks Robbie.

      Delete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating