Thursday 29 December 2016

Now that Christmas is over.

Well Christmas is over and with it the spirit of goodwill towards others, well it is in my little world. I wasnt going to comment or post about the latest edition of Time Commanders but I cant help myself, so sorry to anyone who enjoyed the programme, of which I understand there are a few.
 I know absolutely nothing about television programming, but I would assume the idea is to provide a programme that will potentially entertain,educate, make the viewer think, or other some such reaction.
 But my reaction was to sit open mouthed for about twenty minutes before my wife prised open my fingers and took the television controls off me in order to change channels.I think she feared for my health, or sanity.
 Now when it came to creating Time Commanders what exactly was their hope, because it didn't inform or educate, it wasn't exciting and frankly it was a muddled waste of money.
 [ Some of which was mine courtesy of the licence fund]
 The choice of battles seemed reasonable, although Zama was a tad one sided for anyone leading the Carthaginians. Waterloo was a given I suppose and with the company that brought us Total War it was inevitable that Atilla would be included somewhere in the series.
 I never thought I would say it but Greg Wallace was the best thing on the show simply for his manic enthusiasm in the face of complete and utter confusion. He actually looked professional, which isn't bad for an ex green grocer.
  As for Lynette Nusbacher?, well what can one say without being investigated for saying what the majority of viewers would have been thinking. I bet there was some interesting conversations in some households where the children were actually watching the programme.
 I suppose Ze [ an accepted form of saying he/she, without categorising the gender of the person. I kid you not.] should be applauded for sheer balls.
 Should the programmer seriously consider producing a fourth series, can I suggest they use some competitors with at least a modicum of knowledge about the battle on offer. Frankly letting 'ordinary' people loose on a piece of military history just doesnt work on so many levels. It would have been more entertaining to ply the people with alcohol or some hallucinogenic drugs, prior to letting them  fight the battles, it couldn't have been any worse.
 So with that little rant, can I wish everyone a very very Happy New Year.

10 comments:

  1. My view exactly and I never managed to sit through any of these episodes to the end, even when fast forwarding through the squirmy bits. It would have made sense to use teams who had some experience of wargaming or computer gaming but that might have elevated the programme too much! Your idea of alcohol or hallucinogenic drugs should be put to the test if there is a series 4, although it never worked for me on the tabletop when I tried it. Hope you have a great new year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you notice none of the horses had reins !, also they fell into the wargaming trap of having a birds eye view of the battlefield . One of my in-laws over Christmas dinner commented on the programme and said "is that what you do ?" - nearly choked on my turkey ! , Tony

      Delete
    2. Tony,
      Unfortunately that was always going to happen, as our hobby was never mainstream, as for the horse reins, you really need to get out more. I couldnt understand why the French team never deployed their artillery during Waterloo.

      Delete
  3. Robbie,
    Having been shortlisted and interviewed/filmed for this series without being modest it's obvious they didn't want people who knew anything about history or the game system. I don't know what they were looking for. Had we made it I don't know if police humour! That Leigh and I frequently fall back to in our psychological warfare we play upon in our games would have survived first contact with Ze! It is difficult to fully understand what they were looking for, but perhaps we are looking at it from the minority perspective and not from the majority of the public who perhaps have limited knowledge of the subject and like to see teams make an **** of themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham,
      You did well to be shortlisted, I had considered applying, but remembered the adage about television and putting on the pounds, plus it would have been a given that I slipped in some un PC remark somewhere, perhaps the programme was all about making arses of the public.

      Delete
  4. I think the decision by Nusbacher was an agonising one and a most difficult thing to go through. As such I don't see what place that discussion about that choice has in a review of Time Commanders. She has considerable knowledge given her teaching pedigree and education. If her choices make you uncomfortable that is your problem not hers. I've already made my feelings about the programme known and the Waterloo episode did nothing to change that and I've not bothered with the third. Interestingly my kids actually enjoyed watching someone play a video game (apparently it is a spectator sport in the far east!). So perhaps it is them they are catering for rather than us "oldies" who play with toy soldiers and read books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Easy Paul,
      If the last thirty years has taught me anything, there is always an agenda regarding the media, whether its the positive discrimination as evidenced by the news readers and actors we see to the Time Commanders and their choice of presenters.Frankly it didnt make me uncomfortable but it did cause me to be distracted simply because I couldnt decide whether Nusbacher had been chosen for their knowledge or simply because it is very topical to have a transgender or whatever on a show.Perhaps if there had been a bit more knowledge and less 'getting stuck in' then Nusbacher's appearance could be justified.I did find the whole event embarrassing and not because of Neusbacher's choice of sexuality.

      Delete
    2. I don't think there was any agenda with the programme makers, I think both Loades Nusbacher was chosen for the programme as they were bothin the previous series (although Lynette was then known as Aryeh).

      Anyways it's a terrible and confusing example of broadcasting. Although I quite enjoyed the spear throwing by the modern experts where one of the spears/pilums landed at their feet.

      Delete
  5. It would have made sense to use teams who had some experience of wargaming or computer gaming but that might have elevated the programme too much! Your idea of alcohol or hallucinogenic drugs should be put to the test if there is a series 4, although it never worked for me on the tabletop when I tried it. Hope you have a great new year.



    ** goldenslot mobile**
    ** สล็อต ออนไลน์ ได้ เงิน จริง**

    ReplyDelete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating