Monday 30 January 2017

Goodbye January, hello York Wargames Show.

Well here we are January 2017 nearly gone, with only one post to show for the month which is very bad form. I must admit I seem to be no different than most wargaming bloggers I follow, given their dearth of posts. I was beginning to think that wargamers had found another way to communicate their projects and thoughts, I hope I am wrong.
                                     
Anyway I have been working away at my small ACW project, but I have also been busy painting some more 54mm plastic medievals' and also some 28mm Perry Napoleonic generals which I have been putting on E Bay.  I have also noticed that wargamers on E Bay have also been very quiet, I suppose Christmas and the daily bulletins about post Brexit financial meltdown have understandably scared a few people to rein back on their spending.
Again I must admit I have been tempted to slip in a couple of post truth items concerning post brexit and the collapse of wargaming just for sheer devilment, but then somebody somewhere would have passed the items off as truth and God knows what would have happened. Mind I see that the price of metal used in the production of soldiers is forecast to rise by 150% due to the collapse of Sterling, those Brexit Bas***ds, if that had been known I wouldn't have voted as I did. I want a second referendum and I want it now.
 There are only a few certainties in life, Sunderland football club to be relegated regularly,me to throw one's when I need sixes, taxes and death. Everything else is only happenstance and fate, so fretting about how our country will end up is frankly a waste of oxygen.
So back to reality. I have definitely painted these figures, and enjoyed the experience thoroughly.
A 6pdr horse artillery unit. I purchased some ACW artillery pieces from Hinds Figures in their currents sale. Frank Hinchliffe was a dab hand at modelling artillery.

 I am pleased to see the back of Redoubt Miniatures Garibaldi Guard, simply because they took some painting, heavens knows why. They were carrying a bit of heavy flash, but I like them now they have some paint on them.

                                        Another Perry unit, some more Iron Brigade chaps.
Its the York Show this weekend, so it means that the wargaming season has started. I think York is now my favourite show, especially with the sad demise of Sheffield Triples. Hopefully I will bump into a few wargamers I see only at shows for a bit of a chat.



8 comments:

  1. Very good to see you are still around! Excellent progress being made on your ACW project. I cannot speak for other bloggers but I managed fourteen posts in January. No slacking off from me! Perhaps none of my posts attracted interest?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think facebook has taken som eof the updates rather than blogging- but i still amd and will still be using the blog.

    I am looking for to York for mooch , and a stock up too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also looking forward to the York show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always a pleasure to see an ACW collection growing steadily. Enjoy Vapnartak!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't feel guilty Robbie, there are too many other distractions. I'm one of the laggards with only one post since November, sorry. But there is Hussarette for you on my blog since yesterday.http://notjustoldschool.blogspot.co.uk/
    Very nice ACW figures by the way. I always liked the rebel artillery red kepis
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've managed a post a week for this year which is above my average. Perhaps it is the stagnation of the hobby and that not much is happening with new releases or new projects that is causing the perceived lag. There are no untruths anymore - Trump has ensured that they are labelled alternative facts - so publish and be damned. I do like your painting. Always been a bit wary of buying painted figures from hinds because I think their definition of "excellent" and mine are quite different. Not sure about York - all those stairs puts me off and thought of having to wait for the lift every time seems a bit of a waste. Whatever I decide I hope you enjoy the show.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great looking ACW units really nice colours always happy to read your posts.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. i think facebook has taken som eof the updates rather than blogging- but i still amd and will still be using the blog.



    ** goldenslot mobile**
    ** สล็อต ออนไลน์ ได้ เงิน จริง**

    ReplyDelete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating