Monday 5 March 2018

Bases.

 While at the York Show which seems like an eternity ago I had a conversation with Tony Runkee and Shaun Bryant, both master painters. Unfortunately they pointed out the issue that I had ignored ever since I started my ACW project. Bases. When I first started painting the ACW figures the only bases I had were 50mm square so the first units were set on them. John when he saw the units loved the painting but suggested they would look better on smaller bases. I knew he was right but to be honest I couldnt face it. So when Shaun and Tony had a heart to heart with me they also pointed out the same issue. The figures looked too spaced out.
 When three veteran wargamers talk about the same issue one should take notice, and to be honest I had been mulling it over for months.Anyway Shaun very kindly volunteered to rebase them for me! How could I say no, because Shaun is an expert in basing and does all of Dave Thomas's figures.
Anyway Shaun has been busy and has sent me a few images of the new basing.They look great and I cant wait for the whole collection to be completed. The problem will be how I match his standard if I paint up more units.
 The blog by the way will go quiet for a few weeks as I will be unavailable. I will be back, hopefully.

11 comments:

  1. Nice basing," back hopefully ",sounds ominous, hope all is well.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. As for the basing - don't paint any more. move onto another project.
    "back hopefully" - that's not the positive minded Robbie we've all come to know and love. I hope that there is nothing serious behind it and that all is well with you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul,
      Nah things are great honest. The issue has been a new project that I would complete and would fire up my imagination. Im stiil working towards that.

      Delete
  3. Shaun makes the same mistakes in basing as I see a lot which is that the figure that fits on the outside of the base needs to be closer to the edge - if you space evenly you get a bigger space where the two bases meet as can be seen in some of the photos - which destroys the illusion of a unit as the gaps are so uniform - and for me they are still not shoulder to shoulder - if you watch re-enactment videos you’ll see what I mean - so a good start but you could move these on to the next level - and if you halved your base thickness you would remove the edge of the base catching the eye and establish a closer fix of the troops to terrain - they would look amazing - 1/16th Marine ply is perfect - happy Birthday !



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ian
      I deliberately use 3mm thick bases now simply because I have stopped using varnish after I couldnt find a decent matt one. The depth allows me to pick them up without touching the figures.

      Delete
  4. what size are the new squares? 40mm? I am just about to rebase my ACW army and looking for ideas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 40mm square, and 3mm thick. They are from Warbases.

      Delete
    2. thanks - and your figures look superb!

      Delete
  5. They look very fine Robbie. All the best for the coming weeks, whatever they bring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A big step to re-base such a nice collection, but I can see the benefit and the first units look great.

    ReplyDelete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating