Sunday 17 June 2018

The Great Game: Waterloo Revisited.



The Great Game: Waterloo Replayed
Setting a World Record for the biggest 28mm table-top historical wargame ever played
(c. 22,000 28mm figures in play)*
In Association with Waterloo Uncovered, the ground breaking charity that combines world class archaeology with veteran care and recovery (www.waterloouncovered.com)
A charity event with sponsorship raised supporting the valuable work of Waterloo Uncovered
The Great Game will be hosted by the University of Glasgow on weekend of June-15-16, 2019.




I originally read about this event in the Wargames Illustrated a few months ago and was immediately interested in the concept. I mean what was not to like. A chance to meet a large number of wargamers from around the UK for a weekend of wargaming. A load of toy soldier eye candy to be ogled at and all in the name of a good cause. I became even more interested when I saw they were looking for volunteers to help stage the event and being an impulsive type of chap I jumped at the chance.

 Anyway I have now joined up for the whole weekend enterprise and after paying the fee [£40.00] the price of a cheap night out, I have selected my command which has been accepted by the organisers.
I thought the French side would need the dice throwing skills of moi and have opted to lead the Young Garde against the reactionary powers of the allies.
 Of course there was a slight issue and that is the fact that I no longer possess ANY 25/28mm Napoleonic figures which means I need to furnish about 280 figures painted to a decent standard. I had considered blagging the lovely units owned by the Wargames Holiday Centre [ just joking] or the wonderful collection of Bill Gaskin who I barely know. But to be realistic I know I will have to devote a bit of effort to putting together this division myself. A little bit daunting but all in the name of a good cause.
Luckily the game is to be played using the Blackpowder rules which are perfect for such a large affair so at least I know the rules and also the size of bases required. So check out the site http://www.waterlooreplayed.com and sign yourself up to a great weekend and the chance to re fight Waterloo. The whole event takes place over the weekend of June 15/16 2019.

20 comments:

  1. Sounds marvelous! Now, get cracking on raising your division. I would chip in a unit for your cause.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jonathon, Thats very kind of you.I am still at the planning stage as to which figures to use. Sadly I have had to rule out Connoisseur who made a great Young garde figure as it would be just too expensive. The most sensible option has to be plastic with a smattering of metal to add some story but which company.At the moment Victrix seem the best value although I have never actually viewed one of their figures.

      Delete
  2. Good luck in raising your units. I did like the Glaswegian reference in your opening silhouette picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to say that was my handiwork but it wasnt sadly. It does make an amusing reference point though.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a Fest to beat all Fests :-) will you get a chance to paint any of your French in greatcoats to ease the work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Norm,
      We are on the same wave length. I see Victrix provide a Middle Garde figure in greatcoats although I would like to add some colour with the odd dress uniform. It all depends on cash, time and availability.

      Delete
  4. Mind you, June …. they might get a bit hot :-) though I am sure that he Warlord Waterloo starter set uses greatcoats.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy cow! Sounds like the game of a lifetime. Yep, greatcoats and light infantry sound like the way to go with this to speed painting along a wee bit.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im surprised you havent seen the article Stokes. As soon as I read it I liked the idea. Glasgow is a great city to poodle about in with some very decent beer and if time a bit of culture. Then of course there is the spectacle of the game. Hop on a plane, take a command.

      Delete
  6. You could build the division even faster if you just put unpainted figures or figures spray painted blue on stands.😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now Jim, it isnt as easy as that. The grade had a lovely uniform even in 1815.

      Delete
  7. See you there probably fighting through the streets of Plancenoit.😜😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colin,
      I didnt think you were into Napoleonics. I hope that my command wont be used to prop up the flank and are better employed somewhere else.

      Delete
  8. Great stuff Robbie sounds a challenge, but worth it.
    Dave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a challenge, but hopefully it will be an experience to remember.

      Delete
  9. Hi matey great speel
    Have pm you on facebook about acw stuff...shaun b

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shaun,
      Thanks for all your help. Enjoy your holiday. How many is this?

      Delete
  10. Sounds fun, can't guarantee I'd be in the country otherwise I'd like to do it, the later Victrix plastics (which is what the young guard are) are pretty good, the earlier line infantry are a bit of a pain to assemble, they still look nice and work out cheap if you buy in bulk, good luck!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iain,
      It looks to be shaping up to be a great experience. Glasgow is an interesting city and the wargame should be a spectacle of colour.

      Delete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating