Thursday 23 August 2018

Partizan August 2018..

 The image says it all really. Military modelling at its best. Beautifully painted figures, beautifully made and painted terrain that has to be an inspiration to anyone who has an interest in military history, wargaming and anything related to model soldiers. Partizan Wargames Show at its best.

 Im a bit late with my review of last Sunday's show at Newark, but I have been away for the last few days so couldnt write a review. So before I talk about the show lets have a look at the eye candy.
 The Louisiana Tigers from Ian Smith and Friends 40mm extravaganza. Ian reckoned he painted this unit and who am I to disagree although Shaun Bryant reckoned he painted them. Anyway whoever did paint them made a wonderful job on the castings.

Tony Runkee is the expert for painting Confederate butternut uniforms for me. He has tried to show me how he does it, but I can never get anywhere near his quality.

The Chuckle Brothers reincarnated. Ian barely listening to Shaun as he tells him who did what at their fantastic display.


 There were some excellent and inspiring display games at Partizan, as is to be expected at this show. I thought the Winceby, English Civil War game was an inspiration for any ECW wargamer.




Barry Hilton, who must be one of the hardest working wargaming combo's per se, was displaying his GNW figures showcasing his new rules and also his new Turkish range.



 Dave Docherty and friends exhibited their wonderful Sudan game. The game just keeps getting bigger every time I see it. Top quality painting yet again.




 Graham Cummings and leigh were not only running their SYW game they were also looking after the Crann Tara stall, so they were a tad busy. Graham was on hand to show me his latest project, the Saxon quick firing 6pdr gun. No wargamer should ever complain about the hobby because we are truly in a golden age when every conceivable thing is available.



Wargaming has come a long way since I used ground rice on my terrain boards to make them look like they were covered in snow.I thought this World War Two game showed off winter battlefields perfectly. The correct shade of white and some brilliantly painted buildings to complement the look.




 As is now the tradition, there were a large number of participation games and to be honest they all were of a very high standard but the following two games caught my eye. Lego type soldiers with great looking model tanks and very simple rules. I thought this game would be perfect for schools and apparently relatively cheap to create.


Again a great participation game with some brilliant Play Mobil type figures.

 Im no tankie, but do like to see a well painted machine on a wargames table.There were some great examples on show at Partizan.
 Being of a certain age its great to see a 1/32 scale game, and the Panther was a real pleasure to admire.

 As I have said I know little about tanks, but I thought the camouflage on this one was brilliant and a really tidy looking game.

My attention was drawn to the wonderful town. The centre piece was really well painted and they were lucky I didnt walk away with it. 

 A Lord of the Rings battle using [I think ] To the Strongest rules. I may be wrong, but it looked very good.
 And finally Simon Millar's display which was a static one showing off his Macedonian phalanx and wonderful war elephants. Over the top? Yes. Inspiring? Definitely.






 Sp what was the show like? I thought there were some very good games to stand and drool over. Was I inspired? Definitely.
Wargames shows need to inspire to be classed as a success for me and I thought there were enough games that created that inspiration for me. It seemed quieter than previous ones, but then it is in the height of summer, but it was still pretty busy. Although I didnt have specific buying wants I still managed to make a large dent in my wallet buying figures I dont need, so all in all a great show.
 It was good to mix with wargamers I rarely see and nice to put faces to the blogs I follow.

I think Ian Smith should have the final word as he usually does anyway, except he seemed otherwise engaged trying to negotiate a crisp......


















20 comments:

  1. Excellent show report with great looking pictures and equally good commentary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim, I think my creative writing classes are paying off.

      Delete
  2. Great looking games on show. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pete, there were some lovely figures on show, as to be expected by the talent that was there.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the pictures enjoyed and now going back in for another look. Ta!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to finally meet you and chat about the hobby! Many thanks for the kind gift of the Landsknecht Flags too. I’m glad you enjoyed a day out at a show and were inspired, perhaps I was too harsh in my own views of the games?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, everybody has a different view especially at a wargames show. I hadnt been to a show in a few months so was pleased to be attending anyway. Basically I can be like a kid at Christmas.

      Delete
  5. Good photos there Robbie of some nice looking games, and nice to chat too, albeit briefly. Overall the standard of games wasn't on a par with the earlier Partizan imho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colin,
      I think the number of wargamers with the talent and prepared to make the effort and put a top quality game are shrinking. Obviously younger wargamers have other interests, limited cash, time etc so it cant be expected that they can always make the big effort to invest in a quality demonstration game/exhibit. Obviously there are clubs with several talented wargamers but even there its a big ask. Still I did like what I saw, and would have been happy to play/push around the figures on show.

      Delete
  6. Great photos Robbie. I thought it was a great show, with some terrific looking games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And still we havent met, how is that? Usually you can find me blagging free tea off richer wargamers or working the pants off the more sensitive wargamers still prepared to put up with my sense of humour. Maybe next time. How about York?

      Delete
  7. Good review and pics Robbie, it was even nice to catch up with you... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I think it was a pleasure? to bump into you Dave. I can always rely on your sense of humour.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for your great report and pics Robbie, very enjoyable. Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris,
      after your recent foray North you must have realised that we are worth further visits.

      Delete
  9. Nice photos, the Spanish/Italian town would work really well with your rennaisance armies! I can see why you were tempted!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iain, they were lovely buildings. The centre piece was unfortunately a Grand Manner building which whilst wonderful is more expensive than a three bed roomed council house up here.

      Delete
  10. Loved the images and thank you for posting.

    ReplyDelete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating