Thursday 9 August 2018

Some Napoleonic progress.


 Well I have managed to put paint to plastic and finally completed some French Napoleonics in anticipation of the giant refight of Waterloo to be staged in Glasgow next year.I had forgotten how time consuming painting white cross belts can be. I will be happy when I have completed all 12 battalions of figures, plus skirmishers and causality markers and be able to resume my ECW project.

 Still its for a good cause and hopefully the whole weekend will be a great fundraising exercise for people who deserve a big thank you for their sacrifices.I am using all three plastic figure producers for the project. Warlord, Perry and Victrix. I will however add some metal chaps into the mix simply because the plastics are a bit bland and generic in the main.


 I have noticed that Victrix figures must have changed designers for the later Middle Guard figures. These are bigger and chunkier whilst the earlier generic French Infantry are slimmer and are very compatible with Perry. The earlier figures have some interesting figures in the box which are very nice although for me having to glue sabres and bayonet holders onto the figure is a bugger.There are more hidden in my carpet than made it to the figures. I also had to purchase the Victrix cartridge cover transfers for the Middle Guard. Again I keep finding these stuck anywhere but on the figures!
One will notice there are no standards. Well the Middle and Young garde didnt possess such things, so they will lose the eagles and instead will have fanions which I hope to get soon.
Although the Perry figures are not very lively they are easy to paint and look okay to me. I think its the way the Perry twins sculpt the faces of the figures, I just find them easier to look presentable.To squash any rumours now, I will not be returning to 28mm Napoleonic wargaming and will sell/ give away these units once the weekend has been and gone.



My first Napoleonic causality marker using a spare figure.

16 comments:

  1. They're good looking! And I know what you mean about white shoulder and crossbelts.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am struggling with the white, especially Army Painter white which for some reason doesn't cover very well?

      Delete
  2. Nice job, Putting the skirmishers behind fences is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Norm its becoming my signature Im afraid. It does give a bit of interest to them though.

      Delete
  3. Keep plugging away Robbie, it's doubly difficult when you don't intend to keep the figures, more like a task really but as you say it's all for a good cause.
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep repeating that mantra but it is a bit of a clog. The daft thing was I was offered the use of Dave Thomas's wonderful collection, I must be a fool.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Neil, of the three companies I have used, the easiest to complete were Perry, but I like the options provided by Victrix the best, although there are more pieces to lose.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Ray, I thought you and your group may have taken the trek over the wall. Im hoping for a great weekend next year.

      Delete
  6. Great looking French,in spite of them being a chore,I agree the early Victrix plastics are a bit fiddly but they do look good!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iain,
      Victrix have more pieces but do have more interesting poses.

      Delete
  7. Robbie,very nice-envious as always-You captured my interest when you mentioned that you might give the figures away!!
    Why not raffle them,and raise even more money for the good cause?
    johnc(william)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Been thinking about this.Its a good idea, great minds think alike eh?

      Delete
  8. Fabulous looking French, Robbie. I've been cheating and only creating 16-man battalions for Black Powder - not as impressive looking as 24 or 32-man battalions, of course. I gave my Middle/Young Guard guys eagles and colors, I may have to remove them someday :) Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to cheat a little but the units HAVE to be 24 figures although I will be adding some causalities etc to pad things out.

      Delete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating