Sunday 2 September 2018

Border Reivers Show 2018.

                      Well yesterday I attended the Border Reivers show at Gateshead Stadium.

  There was the usual suspects in attendance and John from the Westerhope group had been allowed out on day release from Frankland Prison to host his groups game.

   As shows go it was okay. I use it to attempt to off load some of the stuff that wargamers accrue over the months and years. Anyone attending a North East England show should understand that a table top sale means exactly that because we as a collective group tend to ignore anything that is being sold unless it is virtually being given away. I did make a few quid but also did actually give a few items away for nothing. Amongst the recipients of my largess it has become a tradition with me to donate something to the Westerhope group for free given as they always claim they are poor.
 Somehow I don't actually believe that is true but they got a nice book about Knights to add to their collection.
There was a lot of traders at the event although Dave Thomas was noticeable by his absence. Whilst browsing Colin Worleys book stall I had a discussion with him about the price of a decent copy of Commandant Lachouque's 'Anatomy of Glory.' Colin was selling this for the princely sum of five pounds!
 I remember as a teenager scraping the cash together to buy a copy over a number of months and being excited when I was finally allowed to take my copy home. It was quite depressing to see how cheap the book is nowadays.
  The show is situated in a decent hall although the lighting can be a problem. Yesterday it was also very hot in the hall, a bit unusual for September in the North East.
 Parking is free and the canteen sells decent food at a fair price.
Games wise again it was okay. I liked Stuart Hitchinson's pirate game especially as Stuart displayed some of his quality terrain.He makes some lovely pieces.


The lads from Westerhope were showing off their Napoleonic armies using their universal wargames rule set. The group literally have a set they created for all periods adding extra factors and the like dependent on the period they are playing. They claim it allows them to play a fun game historically. We had a discussion about their concept which ended in a draw. I like any wargames rules that give a fun game with a level of historical feel but enjoy using the commercial rules on offer, the lads enjoy their rules. Personally I think its because they dont want to spend money on commercial rules, but I could be wrong. But they work so fair play.

Amongst the groups armies was a sub commander painted by Mark Allen which was a lovely piece. I was assured they had bought the figures, but I have my doubts.
            Big Brian laughs as John is dragged out by security for refusing to pay for the teas.

I particularly liked an ancient naval game which used hand built ships. The ships were constructed from coffee stirrers.Very effective.
The show overall was busy until the witching hour of one, when it began to thin out. As shows go it filled in a few hours looking at toys and enjoying the crack. So whats not to like.

5 comments:

  1. I quite enjoyed the show this year. Though spent more time catching up with friends. I did miss The Dave Thomas stand, though it did save me some money

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto Neil, Its a shame Dave is shrinking his appearances, but Gateshead is always good to meet up with old faces.

      Delete
  2. Robbie-good review,even though we didn't come out of it looking too good!!We enjoy your banter,but a "draw" about our rules vs commercial rules???-you're in denial-we won hands down!!-see you at Stockton on the 24th November,
    johnc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true John, I hope I havent upset you though, the 'review' was meant as a bit of fun. You know I always like to see your games. In an age of everything being 'samey' you always mange to provide something different. As for the rules thing well maybe I didnt try too hard to argue my point of view. You must be getting to me!

      Delete
  3. I really like your site and content so much,thanks for sharing the information keep updating, looking forward for more posts.

    หนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating