Thursday 31 October 2019

Back from my travels.

Well I'm back from my travels and the clue to where Ive been is in the image, and its not Hadrian's Wall. Im still jet lagged after a very long return journey from Shanghai via Bejing and Heathrow. But then the holiday was a full on cultural overload.
 I dont think Ill be eating noodles for a longtime and dont mention Pak Choi please. But it was a great experience and gave me some insight into the giant that is growing in the Far East.
 I must admit I have missed wargaming. As one gets older you finally have the time to appreciate what you have and wargaming is a big part of my life.
 I have started painting up my Republican Romans sculpted by Victrix. These are beautiful figures and very err Roman like. The Republican armies offer more choice than the later Imperial armies, well they do for me.
 I have also been constructing and painting an ECW wagon train for a large game I have coming up fairly soon.Peter Gilder and Hinchliffe produced some wonderful pieces. Hopefully I will do them justice.
 I also have a couple of SYW units on my desk ready for basing. I saw them on Hinds Figures site after a tip off from a wargaming friend [thanks Shaun] and 'had' to have them? They are painted in old school style but are top quality. I only wish I had purchased a few more but there you go.
 So hopefully I will get back in the painting groove once Ive conquered this damned jet lag. The only consolation is Ive been able to catch up on all the rugby I missed and also on the Great Train Challenge series two which has become a bit of a cult watch for me.
 The modelling skills have been very high this series and hopefully I can pick up a few ideas from the programme. Saying that the competitors struggle with what to me seems basic modelling skills, especially water effects. Still a good watch.

11 comments:

  1. I hope to see more photos from your Chinese sojourn. I know what you mean about missing Wargaming while away. Looks like you have returned re-energized to push on at the painting desk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would Jonathan but cannot seem to download the images from my phone. Modern technology?

      Delete
  2. Good to hear your back! I've just been reading history while I've been away, that works for me!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably a lot cheaper Iain but China was one of the countries I wanted to sample.

      Delete
  3. China would be better without the Chinese. Rude and ignorant in some aspects of etiquette, never heard of an orderly queue and I really hate that they cough and phlegm so openly (hence the bowls of rose water near the lifts). Come down to Grimsby on the 9th Nov and get a large game fix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its funny that you thought the same as me re the Chinese Paul. Their manners are non existantwhich was surprising after Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand and Malaya. And dont get me started on the spitting!!!

      Delete
  4. Glad you enjoyed a good holiday and welcome back to the hobby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David. I hope all is well in your world and your projects are progressing.

      Delete
  5. Crumbs Robbie I thought the jet lag from Detroit was bad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be very honest Dave I have really struggled this time. It might be a combination of the flights and the amount of sights we squashed into the trip. Its an awful feeling to suffer.

      Delete
  6. And here's me thinking that the Byker Wall had changed since I last visited the Toon! See you at Battleground.

    ReplyDelete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating