Thursday 3 October 2019

I really must get out more.

Since my last tirade Ive concentrated on more important issues ie wargaming and painting. I cannot think of a greater pleasure than sitting down listening to Spotify and daubing paint on figures. It is for me a therapy which I probably need.
Battles wise Im pleased to say Ive had a few. John and I staged two humdinger  SPQR battles which were tense but great fun. Sadly his Romans managed to desecrate the druids ring [painful that] but they did get their revenge in the second battle. I also fought a brilliant [game not me] battle against Paul Stevenson using his yet to be published ACW rules. For Paul, these rules and scenarios are developing into his retirement 'project.'
Paul has expended a lot of effort in the research of the American Civil War and it shows in the rules we were play testing. The scenario was a toughie for the Union ie me but produced a cracking battle that showed the brittle nature of the Union regiments when faced by the smaller but better motivated rebels. You guessed it, I lost.
 I really hope he finds a publisher because they are very good rules and Paul's hard work has paid off and the research gives the rules a great period feel without bogging down the game in excessive detail.
I then fought another ACW game but this time against John using the venerable Volley and Bayonet rules. We love these rules and return to them time and again. Easy to learn, quick to play and brutal they are very subtle and allow you to think about your tactics without worrying too much about the rules. Leading the Union again I nearly pulled off a surprise victory only to see a rebel off table division and some horrible rebel cavalry turn a victory into a ruinous defeat. It was a great game and I had to lie down for a nap after the exertion and I was only throwing the dice! Maybe next time. 
The images is of my first Victrix chariot. What a bugger to construct but now I have worked out what to paint before gluing it together Im pleased with the result. I know plastic has its detractors and I 'get' the point but Victrix have made some lovely stuff and these chariots are a great example of what you get in plastic. There is one drawback and that has nothing to do with Victrix and everything to do with one of the immutable laws of wargaming, ie. when something pings off the painting desk it disappears into another dimension where all the other important bits go. This time it was a small rein. I felt it fall, I thought I knew where it had fallen but could I hell find the piece. It shows how daft you become when you retire because I had a sleepless night [honestly] thinking how and where the rein had disappeared. Early next morning I was back on my knees searching for the piece. I found some plastic heads, muskets, kepis [ you would think I never hoovered the carpet] a whole bag of Crann Tara French Garde that I 'forgot' I owned behind some boxes of other stuff I 'forgot' I had before yes I found the offending rein. Talk about relief. I really really need to get out more.
 Here endeth the lesson. 

21 comments:

  1. Very, very nice work and model - may I ask if the wheel rims and bodysides are hand painted or transfers please ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Transfers. Victrix sell some beautiful sets that are for the kits which contain three chariots.I was worried they would be difficult to use but to be honest they were fine. Lovely sets and well recommended.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Stokers. Now Ive 'found' these guard figures I feel the need to put some paint on them.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Neil. TBH I would love to have a whole squadron of them but in SPQR they would never be used.

      Delete
  4. Nice chariot. Sounds like some good games in there as well. As for finding missing pieces - it works the same way for metal as it does plastic. And they both hurt when stood upon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul. For metal its usually pikes, pointy end up and swords.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful work on your chariot. Pleasing basing too!

    Painting is a therapeutic activity for me as well. Don't stop your tirades. I enjoy them and find myself nodding in agreement frequently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be a bit worried if you are agreeing with my viewpoint Jonathan, but as for painting it is a wonderful thing to do.

      Delete
  6. Not a fan of lightweight plastic stuff but you have made a grand job of the kit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've all been there with respect to the bouncing disappearing parts. A corollary law of Wargaming is that you will only find lost/misplaced figures after you have purchased replacement figures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Robbie,have you seen the Warrior Miniatures chariots-good looking and a great price-worth a look!
    Will we see you at Stockton?
    johnc

    ReplyDelete
  9. "ahem"...it never reins but it pours......sorry, I'll get my coat. 😁

    ReplyDelete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating