Monday 7 September 2020

Inclusivity anyone?

 I suppose it was inevitable given the current crazed atmosphere in the western world that some worthy would produce a piece in one of our wargaming magazines regarding, our perception of history, stereotypes and inclusivity.

The piece in question is in issue 110 of Wargames, Soldiers and Strategy written by a gentleman called David Hiscocks and titled Challenging Historical Stereotypes. Before I start I will stress I don't know this chap,have no axe to grind against him and he is entitled to holding a viewpoint etc etc, however I do have a few views of my own re the article and why it was written.

 If one reads the article it seems on the face of it a well written piece regarding how its important that our historical wargames are based in fact. I am all for that and despair at the paucity of knowledge that some wargamers show regarding their latest army. 

What I find tedious is the inevitable tick boxing that he displays from his opening paragraph re the ''sheer variety of people of all beliefs?? cultures and backgrounds from all over the World who I have met through this hobby.''

 Really? 

 I know some wargamers from Westerhope near the wilds of Newcastle and they inhabit what I see as an alien culture but apart from them, I havent wargamed with many Buddhists or members of the Hare Krishna group. Inclusivity is one of the stock words that has been imposed upon the world. 

If we aren't inclusive then we are clearly not very nice and must work harder at making certain all peoples and sexual orientation are encouraged to play with toy soldiers, even though the vast majority of the Worlds population really aren't interested in our hobby and frankly wouldnt be seen dead anywhere near the people who inhabit our firmament. Why would they?

 It isn't that we discourage these billions. They simply have better things to do with their time. Admit it, we are part of a niche hobby viewed by outsiders who know of us as a bit 'strange' at the very least and as 'warmongers' as one women wrote about me last year. I actually took that as a complement to be honest by the way. But I have always found wargamers very welcoming, perhaps too welcoming sometimes.A bit like the staff in a Games Workshop shop.

 Apparently David's group have been exploring the issues caused by a reliance on national characteristics in wargames and of playing games based in the context of morally questionable events. They sound a fun group and very worthy but it is many many years since I discussed the infamous concept of National Characteristics. 

Remember Joseph Morshauser and Bruce Quarrie? I possess both authors book's and treasure them, but I remember the arguments re the fighting capabilities of various Napoleonic armies and why Napoleon's Polish allies were better fighters than the poor Spanish in the wargaming press etc and it was very pointless back then. It was only later did one realise that it was all bollocks and that no nation possessed super troops but that in some instances they were better trained, equipped, motivated etc and it had very little to do with where they were born or what colour their skin was.

 Back then it was an attempt to add detail to the wargame where once we had simply rolled a dice and knocked figures over. Now its apparently a social crime to declare that a Spanish enlisted man didnt want to fight whilst the Pole was motivated by the hope of an independent country. Apparently using stereotypes is akin to being,... that over used word a racist. 

Mr. Hiscocks provides us with an example of stereotyping; apparently in the  second world war the  Italians were viewed as surrender monkeys and the Waffen SS as effectively supermen dressed in cool uniforms by wargamers. [I hope he has never read a Commando comic.]

 One talks of stereotypes but I defy him to find many tankies who doesnt recognise the individual bravery of the poor Italian grunt or that the Waffen SS were made up of a lot of disparate groups of misfits fit only for murder and other war-crimes. He talks of wargamers making generalisations but then commits the same crime by claiming that we still believe the propaganda that was generated during the actual conflict!

Inevitably given the current discussions on the web regarding our 'heros' he mentions how Churchill had paid tribute to the heroism of our Imperial Indian troops and claims that such praise is used to justify the fighting qualities of these troop types in wargaming. I think he must be talking of the Flames of War rule-books but I may be wrong. 

 Of course he has to drift into politics by claiming that Churchill et-al  also held offensive beliefs which lie at the root of such quotes! Perhaps it never occurred to David that Churchill was simply praising a group of brave men who stood beside us when others from the sub continent were attempting to break away and ally themselves with the Japanese. But no, Churchill must be tagged as a possessor of offensive views and dont forget he believed in the empire and its benefits for our subjects so is guilty as charged.

  He goes on to make the point that wargamers need to develop rules based on training? or fighting doctrine and apply them where relevant. Well good luck with that idea because what's written in a training manual is only relevant until the bullets fly and then it all goes out of the window. 

 He makes a good point that wargamers should seek to understand why troops fought differently, but he clearly doesn't see that this has little to do with stereotypes but simply researching the history of a campaign, general etc and attempting to form a balanced view regarding why one side lost and the other won.

In this day and age Colonialism is viewed as repugnant apparently and of course to wargame that period in history is morally so. Naturally this causes Mr Hiscock to agonize over this issue and as he writes;

 '' A problematic element peculiar to colonial wargaming is the risk of perpetuating Nineteenth century Imperial attitudes that are now rightly deemed offensive, such as expressed by Rudyard Kipling's Fuzzy Wuzzy.'' [Reaches for the smelling salts and sobs into his cashmere jumper.]

It was inevitable that Kipling would get a mention as he seems to be the go to arch villain of the woke brigade. I assume he has read the poem but somehow has managed to miss the whole point of Kipling's poems which were to show the bravery and pathos of the ordinary soldier and his opponents. 

They had very little to do with extolling the virtues of the Imperial dream and more to do with displaying the good humour of the average British Tommy who was attempting to survive in a hostile and dangerous environment. [More stereotyping I assume] but of course a little knowledge is a dangerous thing but where Kipling is concerned I am very protective of this national treasure.

David ploughs on arguing that people like Kipling created an image used by wargamers whereby the natives were mere cannon fodder for the Imperial hordes, when the reality was something far different.  

 To help the reader make up their own mind I recommend that they read the poem and I attach the opening verse;

We've fought with many men acrost the seas,
An' some of 'em was brave an' some was not:
The Paythan an' the Zulu an' Burmese;
But the Fuzzy was the finest o' the lot.
We never got a ha'porth's change of 'im:
'E squatted in the scrub an' 'ocked our 'orses,
'E cut our sentries up at Sua~kim~,
An' 'e played the cat an' banjo with our forces.
So 'ere's ~to~ you, Fuzzy-Wuzzy, at your 'ome in the Soudan;
You're a pore benighted 'eathen but a first-class fightin' man;
We gives you your certificate, an' if you want it signed
We'll come an' 'ave a romp with you whenever you're inclined. 

One can see how it drips with Imperial arrogance and how the myth of the poor native was perpetuated by the wargamer of such a morally repugnant period.
He goes on to describe that through his research he had discovered that the Fuzzy Wuzzies had actually been equipped with modern weaponry and as a consequence using this knowledge coupled to period appropriate tactics? and fieldcraft [they sound like latter day scouts] they can out manoeuvre the clumsy Imperial opponents [stereotypical view anyone?]

He finishes his piece with the conclusion that by understanding our history and ignoring stereotypes we can better understand our shared martial history which is fine, of course he then spoils it by adding,
 ''while this does not make these events palatable it will ensure that we are not accidentally risking projecting outdated ideas into our games in the name of entertainment.'' [God forbid that should happen.]


Conclusion;
 So what have I learned from the two pages in the WSS? 
1] As I have advocated for many years, wargamers need to know their subject and read books and then read more books to understand the armies they are using. Its not rocket science but for some it is becoming an issue. 

2] All war is morally repugnant but unfortunately is such a fascinating subject crammed full of wonderful people, monsters, acts of heroism and acts of stupidity that it needs to be studied, understood and yes used as a means of entertainment, as long as no one gets hurt. 

3] That some educated wargamers need to get a life and perhaps question why they wargame in the first place. If they feel so strongly about historical games  then perhaps they should consider the new range of uniformed rabbits that have sprung up on the wargaming firmament. They seem fairly innocuous.

4] That slowly but surely certain woke individuals are turning their thoughts towards the poor wargamer and his outdated views. I proudly admit that I am out of step with these modern attitudes and will also admit I see the hobby as a wonderful way to spend a few hours without thinking one jot about the opponents figures I am attempting to massacre. I will however refuse to ever apologise for my love of such a hobby and I suffered years of this crap when I was gainfully employed so being a contrary so and so will poke at the pomposity of individuals who feel we need to be more.... 'woke' as it were.  
 And finally........... 
5] That the author should steer clear of the wonderful wargaming rules written by that arch Imperialist, Howard Whitehouse.


 

29 comments:

  1. And all these years I thought I was just playing with toy soldiers ......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know.
      I read the other day that the ceiling in the entrance of the Natural History Museum is proving problematical to the management. Apparently the depictions of cotton, tobacco and tea had been identified as colonial images and were listed for removal??? It makes one wonder what sort of person can see innocuous images as such a problem. Clearly it was something taught either at school or in universities, but then we have been identified as subconsciously racist and imperialist simply because of being born white so perhaps we arent attuned to this injustice.
      Sometimes I think Ive out lived my time and need to move over, literally.

      Delete
  2. Robbie, another good rant from your keyboard!

    I should read the article before weighing in but the pdf for #110 is not yet available so I will add only a word or two based upon your summaries.

    My thoughts: This is a hobby after all and individualized. Each gains what is sought. I feel no burning need to proselytize anyone into wargaming. For me, I think wargaming is mostly a calling. One is either interested or not. I am tolerant of those who choose their hobbies without intervention from me or anyone else.

    It is very difficult and somewhat perilous to hold actions of prior generations to scrutiny when examining these actions through today's lenses and norms. The actions of certain groups of today towards conformity to THEIR way of thinking has me wondering if history has been studied at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear from you Johnathan. You need to read the article first before forming a view.
      Unfortunately in this living lockdown hell I have far too much time on my hands and therefore am very sensitive to the issues I see around me. I have recently been diagnosed as diabetic [ cause- the lockdown and chocolate biscuits] anyway in the UK one has to register for treatment and dieting. Apparantly stating ones declared gender is an important question that has to be answered prior to registering? Now why should it matter if I self declare as a Martian as to how I am treated? My point? Modern society has lost its way and sees issues where none actually apply. Grerat to hear from you.

      Delete
  3. Robbie,
    Now this is a well constructed rant and on this occasion I take little exception to what you have written. Of course the author has missed the point you were referring to in one of your earlier pieces in that a lot of modern gamers actually know very little about history other than what is published in the rule book and asking them to do their research will fall on deaf ears.
    Indeed I have to agree that on occasions I feel I have passed my shelf life but the why should I give in? The barricades are ready and I’m quite happy to sit behind my walls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all know Graham that part of the attraction of wargaming is a persons love of history. Most wargamers will have certain treasured reference books that provide a view of some war, campaign or general. Its good that this man recognises this.Unfortunately and its probably not his fault he overthinks the subject. We all hold views and prejudices. Its what makes us human.Some are from life experiences some from our environment but most recognise it doesnt make us bad people as long as we understand they are not necessarily correct.What I find objectionable is the hectoring and belief that we need to be lectured about our failings and how we need to embrace the new thinking, that western views are all bad and our enemies are all good. Thats a simplified explanation but I struggle sometimes to articulate my thought process. To simplfy it, this handwringing is all bollocks probably describes my thinking better.

      Delete
  4. Hi Robbie...

    I don’t think a decade has gone by without someone having a go at grown men and women playing with toy soldiers...
    Be it pixies and goblins, space elves or any of the myriad of historical periods...
    I have found that there is invariably a hidden agenda...

    I personally find it best to let it pass me by...with a sagely shake of the head... and cast my mind to what H.G. Wells says In Little Wars...In the chapter... Ending with a sort of challenge
    https://www.gutenberg.org/files/3691/3691-h/3691-h.htm#chap06

    Do you think that the same debates go on in the model railway or Scalextric world ?

    All the best old chap... Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aly, I can always rely on you to be succinct, clearly the years of making lovely toys helps. Unfortunately I have never been able to swallow the crap we are spoonfed. I remember writing a small fictional piece for a writing group I attended which contained the opening lines of Little Wars, the bit about how the game was for boys and the more intelligent type of girls. You can imagine the reaction from the more sensitive [all] members of the group. If I had lobbed out my very large member I would probably have illicited less of a reaction. Needless to say I was sent for re education yet again. Unfortunately, humour, irony and sarcasm are no longer allowed.I think you know where Im going.

      Delete
  5. It seems like he spoiled a good magazine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ive noticed in the last few issues of this magazine a certain creeping wokeness slipping into certain pages which is a real shame.

      Delete
  6. Well said Robbie. Keep flying the (imperialist!!?) flag for us who have the misfortune to be old white men who love History in 21st Century England.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris, great to see you are still pottering about. You my friend, given your love of the female form are definitely doomed.As for me, I always think of one of my last appraisals where I was described as a dinosaur in attitude, ethics and general behavior. I found that very reassuring somehow.

      Delete
  7. A good essay, Robbie. I would say more but I’m afraid of getting cancelled by The Woke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim. Given your latest beautiful project you will understand more than most others. I dread to think how such a game will be received by the public should we ever get out of this nightmare.

      Delete
    2. Yes, that has occurred to me. Yipes! Fortunately the general public outside of the war gaming milieu will probably never see the game.

      Delete
    3. That is a real shame but shows exactly what is happening in all walks of life as these idiots are allowed to express and force upon others their ridiculous views.

      Delete
  8. The article was, in my opinion, clearly meant for the modern way of thinking. That is to say that the British Empire was universally bad and now owes the world an apology. His comments regarding the unpalatable events where nations are invaded and millions enslaved and, for him, should not be a source of light hearted entertainment, is aimed squarely at the Empire. However, this conveniently forgets that we're quite happy to play Romans or WWI Huns, or WWII Germans or Soviets, we're quite happy to see Russians knocking ten bells out of the Chechyans or Afghans. But then none of that fits the modern narrative of trampling people who are not white and not British.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul. I was thinking exactly the same as yourself re Rome etc. Of course modern thinking never seems to show much thought does it. Frankly Im now at the stage of being ready to boot someone in the goolies if they start telling me how guilty I am of slavery etc etc.I know violence isnt the answer but it certainly closes an argument effectively. Keep painting those wonderful flats.

      Delete
  9. I always enjoy the rants on your blog, even when I disagree with them. In this instance I'm firmly in your camp. No time for all this woke, politically correct claptrap. I don't buy WSS or MW, so thankfully I'm spared increasingly desperate attempts to drum up some business on the part of the hobby's vastly inferior magazines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah David, you educational facilitators have a lot to answer for. I do like the magazine and its probably the best of the bunch. Ironically the Illustrated this month produced an article praising the wonderful rules created by Howard Whitehouse which is based entirely around stereotypes during the empire. It is a fun concept with a lot of irony etc.It made me want to play the period which is something that I was never attracted to.REAT TO HEAR FROM YOU.

      Delete
    2. Robbie, what you think goes on in education and the reality are poles apart, you'd be better sticking to toy soldiers like me. I'll give you one example: when I retired I was teaching concepts and knowledge to 16-18 year olds at A level that had been taught to me as an undergraduate in 1968-72. You really shouldn't believe what's in the Express or Mail you know.

      Delete
    3. David I think you are showing your own stereotyping here, I dont read either of these newspapers. I keep getting this thrown at me but honestly I never needed a rag to form my opinions.As for teaching, dont forget I volunteer in a senior school that is supposed to provide an education to the sick,lame and criminally insane. To be honest the school is well resourced and has some decent but troubled kids. None however will set the World alight, maybe the odd shop though.Unfortunately like most kids they obtain their views from the internet and their parent, if they have one that can be bothered to actually talk to them. I think we both know that our country's history has always been problematical for our educationalists, they seem to forget what a wonderful story this nation have. Anyway keep walking, having lunches and painting ancients.

      Delete
  10. Got my copy of the magazine yesterday. Having very briefly skimmed through the article I mentally filed it under 'pretentious crap', and set about seeing what else was available - turned out to be a better-than-usual issue with several articles that attracted my interest. Having read your dissection of the article in queation, I have to ask what on earth this sort of navel-gazing rubbish is doing in what is supposed to be a wargaming magazine. Save that silliness for the New Statesman or some equally worthy home for drivel. Much more of this and WSS and I will part company. As one of my favourite t-shirts says 'I didn't wear my country's unifoem just for some twat to tell me to be politically correct'. I am old enough and responsible enough to form, hold, and defend my values and opinions. I don't need anything in my wargames magazine that leans more towards virtue-signalling than it does wargaming. Haaaaarrrrrrrumph!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steady Iain, I sometimes think certain writers, politicians and would be such, create a mountain out of a molehill to satisfy their egos.Having realised they are incapable of doing anything worthwhile they attempt to attack and put down other peoples pleasures just so they can feel important.

      Delete
  11. Robbie,can you send me a handful of the pills you are on?
    As for "alien culture"-damned cheek-we haven't got any culture!!-although Brian may be an Alien!
    johnc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly John I was like this before medication was forced upon me. Can you remember years ago when the organiser of Partizan wrote about racism in wargaming and how we all needed to recognise the evils we were perpetrating. It was the same bloke who brought out those daft ' dont photograph me ' badges.'Its all bollocks and has no relevance to wargaming at all. You know that if wargamers can allow you to stage a game at a show that we are a pretty tolerant bunch especially given your huge mental issues.As for the bold Brian, well me and him have a lot in common.

      Delete
    2. Robbie,should it not be "he and I?"-I must admit that the "looney fringe" haven't gone away-they are just hiding under a stone awaiting the chance to spoil other people's enjoyment-they will never deter me,or yourself though!When will this virus ever free us to continue with club nights etc?
      johnc

      Delete
  12. I've just read the article and do wonder how exactly it is supposed to help the wargaming hobby by basically sucking all the joy out of it. Well said Sir.

    ReplyDelete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating