Wednesday 2 September 2020

Scale Gallop!

I haven't posted any images for a while now, I'm not certain why but I can only think and blame it on the virus situation. I've stated before there is a definite lethargy emanating from the whole lock-down thing which has affected me. Anyway I thought I should do a review of my Persian army which was started when lock-down was imposed.
A big attraction of the Sword and Spear rules is that for a decent battle of a few hours one usually will need 16 and 21 units or elements. This is for a 500 point army which I can assure you is sufficient to give a tense few hours. Unfortunately I did what I always do and simply put my head down and started painting figures.The result is I now have numerous Persian troop types and far too many for a simple 500 point game. I now claim its so I can fight a Hail Caesar game when I want except after using the Sword and Spear rules I think I would find Hail Caesar a bit simplistic. Luckily I have done the self same thing with the Greek army which again has too many units for a decent sized Sword and Spear game. 

 I have recently completed reading an excellent account of Antigonos the One Eyed by Richard Billows and am now inspired to start a Successor army except I have actually planned how big this should be and intend to stick to the plan.The account is a first rate study of this generals life and provides enough detail to select the correct troop types for this larger than life general. So its pikes again Im afraid.



Having been inspired by the excellent blog of Rob Young who is building a Persian army, except it contains all the corps recorded by Heroditus so should be definitely classified as an army. Rob is lucky enough to own some of the late Charles Grant's ancient Persian army which he is incorporating into his own army. Anyway I saw the old Hinchliffe Immortal figures and had to own some myself. These are my take on Grants lovely figures.


Rob also had some cataphracts belonging to Charles Grant and yet again I wanted some even though it is very debatable they possessed many in reality. I also added a few Persian medium cavalry again plagiarized from Rob.


                 One real issue in using the Hinchliffe ancient figures is scale creep.

I have figures from Hinchliffe, Foundry and Victrix. The 25/28mm is dramatically different. More gallop than creep. The Hinchliffe were first sculpted in the late 1970's, the Foundry in the 1980's and Victrix in the new millennium. To be honest I dont mind too much and luckily I havent used any of the early Mini Figs or the scales would be even more dramatic.It must be all the good food more modern figures are fed.

One observation I do have re the three ranges is how femur the Foundry cavalry are and I have had to pin two horses already when they snapped off their bases. Hinchliffe never budged.




 

21 comments:

  1. Robbie, your Persian collection is stunning no matter from which generation the sculpts originate. The robes are works of art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johnathan, somehow I dont think I will ever reach the standard that you turn out with monotonous regularity.But thanks again.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Neil, I have a few units to still complete and I think that should be enough.

      Delete
  3. What a splendid looking army! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like ancients have come back into vogue David and to be honest Im pleased simply because they have been a tad neglected by the wargaming public.

      Delete
  4. Robbie,
    Great to see the Persians in their full glory. Very nice. Antigonos is my favourite successor I had made a nice vignette of him but that army long gone and now ! I was sorely tempted again when I saw the Hinchliffe Persians but so far I’ve been good, that may change as I may be receiving a Hinchliffe Macedonian army from the widow of an old colleague of mine! Oh dear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Graham, I wanted to speak to you about this army, because Hinchliffes? Surely you wont be wanting them given just how many other things are involved with.

      Delete
  5. Quite lovely. I do have a soft spot for the Persians but just cannot face painting all that fancy linen. So well done to you. Ancients - a period when nicknames were better (Antigonos Knock knees being my favourite).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His grandson and quite a character in his own right Paul. His father The City Breaker was also a larger than life general although no where as successful as his father.It was quite a period in history.

      Delete
  6. Cracking army there Rob! Keep your head down and your brush working....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Colin, obviously it will never be as big as that monster you are creating but Im rapidly running out of space.

      Delete
  7. They look fabulous, and the army is hardly too large.
    What kind of wargamer would even think such a heresy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly a wargamer who knows that storage and actual play-ability is important. It has taken me years to know this fact which I keep ignoring.

      Delete
  8. Impressive army arrayed! Lovely colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean, it was always the colour that first attracted me to the army.

      Delete
  9. I am going to gliding out my old Impetus armies and see if I can rekindle my Ancient wargaming habit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those scale creep pictures are astounding - they make Hinchliffe figures look like 15mm, although there is a perspective element reinforcing the impression.
    I'd love to run my Hinchliffe Macedonians up against all those lovely Achaemenids. Also envious of the Sassanids as I'm planning a future Hinchliffe project to recreate the Battle of Dara from Chandler's 'The Art of Warfare on Land' - after I've completed the ECW and my SSMs.

    ReplyDelete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating