Sunday 14 March 2021

War Dogs for WOR.

Well these are the Never Mind the Billhooks light cavalry finally done. In theory that should mean I have completed what I envisaged for my three wards for the period. Needless to say and once again enforcing the law that wargamers are never satisfied I have a new unit of levy archers to add to this collection. I had been trawling the net as one does and fixed upon David Imrie's wonderful range of archers from his lovely Claymore Castings range. They reminded me of the Brettonians I once possessed and so another purchase was made. I've no reason to have them, they will probably never see the games table, but once again a wargamer has succumbed to that toy soldier thing.
To add a bit of a narrative to them I included a couple of spare war hounds from my Celtic warbands. I just thought why not. The units aren't my best by a country mile but then I've managed to put my back out again while clambering over a barbed wire fence in pursuit of one of my itinerant cats. When did decrepitude set in? So my hand isn't as steady as it should be. 
Talking of Celts? I was re boxing my ancients and saw that a couple of my Warlord Celtic cavalry had snapped spears. This shouldn't be much of a surprise given the figures are prominently carrying spears except I've noticed that Warlords resin which they use for all their new ranges seems very susceptible to breaking. They seem to go brittle very quickly and lose their slight bendiness far quicker than plastic.
Unlike other veteran wargamers I am quite happy to switch between plastic and metal toy soldiers, especially the well sculpted Victrix ranges but a few companies have opted for some magical resin stuff and it certainly seems that Warlords stuff isn't as good as it maybe it should be. 
The old Spencer Smith plastics and Airfix figures take decades to succumb to the brittleness malaise, but Warlord's resin? Maybe I got a bad batch. 
To show balance I've had a similar complaint about Foundry's Persian heavy cavalry but that is more to do with the weight of their metal horses balancing on two very thing legs. So more of a design fault than pants materials.


 

14 comments:

  1. Sorry to read you are in the wars again Robbie, hope you are soon 100% again. The light cavalry look grand to me, the addition of the hounds is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Davd one would think as you get older, attempting to climb over fences after an itinerant cat would seem a bad idea. But then look at Rod Hull.

      Delete
    2. I'd rather not if it's all the same to you...😉

      Delete
  2. What a great unit. They really look as if they've galloped straight out of the Schilling Chronicles ( I think that's the correct name?). Hope your back is better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words. These two units were dashed off simply because I wanted them completing as quickly as possible. I know I can do better but unfortunately not at this moment.

      Delete
  3. Lovely unit and a nice touch adding the hounds. I have just completed a base of three of these rather nice Perry’s.

    Interesting point on the Warlord resin. I have some PSC figures with the same material, which I like because the bendy thing means they are less likely to break ....... but if the material has a propensity to harden in such a short time, then I will likely be avoiding it in the future.

    Backs! I am currently designing a time machine that will allow me to get my body returned to its 21 year old state, if I can get it working, you are more than welcome to use it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats very kind of you Norm. I know when the trouble started but I would need to use your machine several times to make certain my body was back to how it was.

      Delete
  4. Very nice. Are they war dogs Robbie? Ne man, neva seen em befowa in me life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only you and I will understand that joke Colin, which isnt bad, by the way.

      Delete
  5. Sorry to read of your ailing back. Hopefully, you can return to full steam soon. Your cavalry look terrific and they motivate me to pick up a box of these for my own project. Well, after I work through a few more boxes of infantry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johnathan and given how you paint it wont be long.

      Delete
  6. Yo Robbie-backs are bad-THE WIFE has spinal stenosis so I know all about them-keep the old spirits up,grand painting job-Warrior do a lovely hound in their Border Reiver range.
    johnc

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely looking light cavalry ,we can all do better but it's better to get them done! I like the dogs, hope the back improves, cats oh well!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating