Thursday 6 May 2021

Yes I am still here!!!

Well here we are, a new [ish] month and finally a new post. It finally occurred to me that I was simply posting for postings sake during lockdown and since I didnt have much to report since my last post I should simply wait until I had something to say, albeit not much.
I thought that the months leading up to the end of any sort of lockdown would be very slow moving and I must admit I am right. Waiting to resume some sort of life has moved at a snails pace, not helped by the unseasonable crap weather which doesnt encourage much physical activity. Well thats my excuse. I have found things difficult. 
Anyway I have done a little bit of painting to keep my hand in whilst I ponder, what next? Im still pottering around with various units of Wars of the Roses figures even though I definitely have enough for a Never Mind the Billhooks game. These archers are from Claymore Castings and represent a levy archer unit. Yes they are figures from their Scots War range but they are beautiful figures and look quite leviish? to me. Wargamers are so lucky honestly. Yes I know we all go on about it but we truly are.

 Having done a bit of reading about the world of 3d printing, I can see another shift in the wargaming firmament happening over the next couple of years as prices drop and the technology improves. Already there are some amazing items being created which can be obtained pretty easily but expensively. But how long before we put in an order for a unit of infantry and watch as they are printed an hour later. Im not certain if it will be a good thing for the many figure producers but I can definitely see changes occurring. In the 1930's to possess round figures was looked down upon by true collectors who owned beautiful collections of flats. At the moment plastic is sneered at to a certain extent, but with 3D, that will probably blow some peoples minds. Still it might help our numbers.    

The vast majority of wargamers are generous souls and Iain Macmillan very kindly sent me some Old School figures to paint. These Celts are Willie, and are quality figures with a lot of character and life. I've added plastic shields and accoutrements. They will hopefully lead some warbands.
The two chaps heading this page are Marcus Hinton figures and are full of life. They were a pleasure to paint and will stand about my table shouting advice to the poor units fighting
I felt incredibly old the other night as I watched Gogglebox and saw two of the participants? laughing at Dominic Cummings possessing a blog? Its seems its a dying facility and ignored by the young ie. under 40 years old. Here was I thinking I was cutting edge and down with the bloody kids,[not]
To be very honest I really dont care because writing a blog and sharing our thoughts, information etc with each other is a great comfort and has proved invaluable and anyway being of a certain age being invisible to the young is inevitable. So sod them.

 

18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Cheers Neil, they were a real pleasure to paint, and must be well over 50 years old.

      Delete
  2. I see my blog as a sort of diary , those Celts are rather nice I've not seen them before .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to think that, but Im not certain recording my thoughts is a good idea. It might frighten some people.

      Delete
  3. Nice to know you are still with us! The archers have turned out well. Keep blogging on!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im been very busy David which is unusual for me. Hopefully all will be revealed soon.

      Delete
  4. Nice to see new figures coming out of your paint room. Very nice they are too. As to writing a blog - if they don't like it they don't have to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear from you Paul. I cannot wait for things to finally open up.

      Delete
  5. Great looking figures - and nice return to the blogosphere. I like blogging mainly to keep track of my projects and also to check out other blogs for inspiration. That said, there's been periods that I've been off the radar so to speak, but happy when I return.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to see you still clinging on, Robbie! Your Celts really pop. The guy with two trophy heads is simply showing off.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Robbie, good to see the Billhooks project is still burning.

    As for the fashion of blogs, another generation will follow who will think blogging is much better and richer than FB or twitter type platforms (whatever the youff are using these days) and they will believe they have invented it (just like Parka coats, quilted jackets, vinyl records and proper pens) and then us oldies will all be cool again .... we just need to wait a little longer.

    Hopefully the wargame show circuit will be back with us soon and we can get some trader happiness going :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so like those Celts!
    Terrific work. As for blogging, keep going it works well for thee and me and many, many more!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely job on the Celts, Robbie, they look fantastic. The Hintons are actually Les Higgins figures, by the way...the 'Jason' ECW 30mm range from the early 1970s.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent painting as always. Blogs are much more permanent and a very useful reference for the blogger and reader... I much prefer them. Having said that Instagram is a useful tool and is dead easy to use as a kind of miniblog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Totally agree with your last paragraph. I have thoroughly enjoyed doing my blog for the last 10 years and all the feedback and comments it promotes help encourage my hobby. Instagram is OK but it is literally instant and does not have the extent or permanent feel of blog postings, and Facebook is subject to "friends" with opposing political views having rows on your page!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Robbie,I thought you'd died!-I was just writing a letter to your wife asking for your figures!!
    Latest additions are quite lovely,and I too enjoy blogging and getting feedback-I know what your secret "project" is!
    johnc

    ReplyDelete
  14. Robbie, these are bloody marvellous for 'keeping your hand in'! The Celts defintely the stars of the show.
    We do our blogs initially for ourselves, I reckon. It's a bonus if anyone else is interested. The biggest joy, for me, is looking at others' blogs (figures, games and terrain), so please don't consider stopping it!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating