Monday 20 September 2021

I feel like Keith Richard?

  I made mention of my podcast experience but didnt have a link available. I do now;

Please dont expect any amazing insightful ideas or facts, I must admit my memory has struggled due to lockdown so some recollections may be downright wrong.I did have some notes but even they were probably wrong. Sometimes I feel like Keith Richard's but dont have the excuse of drugs abuse.

John and I fought a cracking Never Mind the Billhooks game last week, using 240 points which dont sound a lot but actually is.I only used one large Irish ward backed up by the normal WOR troop types.I did however opt for some light cavalry having learned my lesson at Derby.They fought really well until they were annihilated.

I did use some ideas I had obtained from the Billhooks weekend such as linear units as opposed to blocks. I also used more gallowglass and kern.
The battle was a real toughie which was in the balance right up until the end when I had my commander killed with the remainder of his gallowglass.
I must admit my most effective units were levy archers, kern and my artillery. The levy shot really well and decimated John's retinue archers, as below.

                                       My levy archers being pushed forward by their betters.
The remnants of my cavalry were still able to charge into the backs of John's levy archers, they didnt last much longer when the shadowing enemy cavalry hit them.
And then back to my usual luck as I went  charge into the flank of John's billhook unit only to be stopped with an event card.They did fight the next move simply because they were hit in their flank.
Earl Kildare's ward, contained some hard hitting melee types that did fight well, even against some tough men at arms. Unfortunately I was slowly being out maneuvered as they fought.  
Its great to see we will be experiencing some wargames shows in the next couple of months and I am especially looking forward to Battleground which is a really friendly show. 

 

18 comments:

  1. As long as you don't start looking like Keef. I listened to the podcast on Saturday night and thoroughly enjoyed it. You even inspired me to work on my 6mm SYW stuff to get the big battle look on a small table.
    Regards,
    Paul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul.
      When I had my epiphany in the 1980's regarding 6mm figures and how they were perfect for big battles I thought I would always stick to that scale. But of course wargamers are flighty beasts. I still think 6mm and 10mm are perfect for massive re enactments but it was time to return to my beginnings.

      Delete
  2. I listened to it on Saturday as well.
    Interesting to hear Derek Shaman mentioned; I know he moved to Berwick.
    Played against Charlie Wesencraft many years ago at the Tyneside Wargames club; I remember he had the Devil's own dice luck! I'd roughly handled his cavalry with my fist line when he managed to kill off 3 of my 4 brigade commanders thus hampering my ability to exploit my success....
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe Derek still lives in Berwick. I dont think I will be insulting him by describing him as a great ideas man as regards wargaming but a not very good businessman. Still I was always envious of his Ancient Persian army.

      Delete
  3. Great looking game Robbie. Love the figures. I listened to your Podcast on Saturday as I painted some more WSS stuff. Thoroughly enjoyed it and good to hear that you haven't changed and are still able to make us chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats very kind Paul. Lately I think Im more the village fool than funny person, but if it makes people a little happier.

      Delete
  4. Cracking looking game and it appears your dice rolling has improved!
    I’ve listened and thoroughly enjoyed the podcast I have to say I’ve had the privilege of playing in a Tallavera weekend with Don Featherstone and also been scalped on a number of occasions by Peter Gilder when he and Duncan used to come to the club at Redcar for SOA events

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You always a lucky so and so as regards wargaming with the big names Graham. Perhaps if I had stuck in I could have met them all. What giants they were.

      Delete
  5. Super looking game there Robbie! Coming second is no disgrace remember!😉 As a matter of interest do these podcast thingies have sub titles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im sorry about that David. They used to have the same issues when appearing in the Crown Courts, I also found as I got more animated the faster I spoke. I should have asked for a translator to be present.

      Delete
  6. Robbie-Keith Richards,morelike Cliff Richard!!-I've slept in his bed you know(Cliff not Keith!)It's a strange old world,see you at Battleground.
    johnc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow Im not surprised John. Mind I never believed the accusations against Cliff, he seems a thoroughly decent chap if a little strange. I can see the attraction.

      Delete
  7. Lovely looking game, I like your late 15th century Irish troops, you got me going there, I thought Keith was the one that just died!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clearly you arent down with the kids Iain, it was Brian.

      Delete
  8. Wow !!! absolutely fantastic blog. I am very glad to have such useful information.
    មាន់ជល់អនឡាញ UFA88​

    ReplyDelete
  9. High Robbie hope you don't mind me joining your merry band

    ReplyDelete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating