Thursday 3 March 2022

When is red not red?

                                My theme today is the colour RED.  I used the final bits of a bottle of Vallejo Flat Red to paint these two units and opened a new one to start the next, only to discover Vallejo had changed the red into a poor facsimile of red. I then quickly opened a second bottle I had bought during the first lockdown to discover that not only had the red changed to an insipid orangey wash. It was also virtually translucent?  Basically no use for anything except the bin.

Now I like red, and use my tried and trusted method of a base colour followed by Flat Red and then a wash of my trusted GW Agrax earthshade. I then repaint the red with various mixes of flat red and bright orange. But now? Im hoping that the two bottles I have are mistakes and when I go to Hammerhead this weekend I will be able to get my old Flat Red as it was.
Anyway, these two units are part of a new Wars of the Roses ward Im painting for the up and coming Billhooks challenge weekend. I cannot recommend the weekend highly enough. Its a full day of wargaming in a very friendly atmosphere for a mere £15.00. I understand there are still a couple of places left to fill. Check it out on the Billhooks Facebook site.



 

4 comments:

  1. Whatever red you settled upon, the result is terrific. I really hate it when manufacturers alter the old mix.

    Good luck in the tournament.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very difficult to match the original colour Johnathan and in the end I had to re do the units.

      Delete
  2. Change, the enemy of us all as far as paints & painting goes at least. Hope to see you at Hammerhead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We get so used to a particular shade that even a subtle change by the manufacturer after years of using it makes it look wrong. Great Brushwork BTW!

    ReplyDelete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating