Monday 13 June 2022

Ennui.

Five 4.00am starts finally rewarded me with sight of this beautiful Sri Lankan leopard chilling in the bush. No worries about wargaming with this lad. The locals call him Lewis? 

Its been a while since I posted and also the longest lay off from painting since the early 1980's. When I discovered blogging in 2010 my intention was to publish something regularly and at least once every couple of weeks, like all good intentions one loses one's way and forgets. I hit a wall regarding posting a blog which was an issue but the wall I hit regarding figure painting was even more disconcerting.
 I returned from the Featherstone weekend having thoroughly enjoyed myself but somehow lacking in enthusiasm which is unusual for me. I looked at my painting desk and simply couldn't find the drive to sit and paint anything. It happens to most if not all wargamers, some walk away, most overcome the feeling and return to do their best work.
 However my painting ennui wasn't about the relevance of buying and painting toy soldiers but more about what I did with the finished products. Everyone of a certain age assesses their future and what needs to be sorted and placed in order. Usually I am able to compartmentalise things and cope but recently Ive struggled to do that. 
It hasnt just been my wargaming but as this blog is exactly about that then I wont bore people with other so called issues.    
 I have some pretty big armies of 28mm figures, that's not a boasting observation but a reality. I haven't used some of these armies for several years and to be very honest I have considered moving them on because of their lack of use. 
 Luckily due to going on holiday I wasnt able to make any badly thought out decisions about disposing of any of my armies and although I had hoped to clarify what I was going to do whilst away that didn't happen either. Its amazing what very early starts, sleeping in a tent in high humidity, the monsoon, leeches, snakes and of course having a holiday in a country in complete political meltdown can do to intrude upon wargaming.

So I came back with no idea what was going on and what the issue was I was attempting to identify.
 So where does that leave me?
 Well no further forward, so I poured myself some clean water and finished painting a unit of Burgundian gendarmes.
 They are waiting basing and to be very honest they look pretty rough but will have to do. I know I've not resolved what has been bothering me but at least I've picked a brush up and planning which figures to paint next.
 I can only apologise for this self indulgent piece and for the lack of posts and hopefully I'll discover some new period, interest or even just some figure that sparks my enthusiasm.
 Here's hoping anyway.

                 Dutch gun emplacement at Galle Fort, Sri Lanka, a lovely place to explore.

10 comments:

  1. Judging from other bloggers and my own experience, it seems to be a widespread problem at the moment.
    I've been forcing myself to do stuff but hit a wall this weekend. I just could not face picking up a paintbrush.
    Normally I can work through it once I start doing something, but this weekend, simply couldn't be bothered to even start.
    Just got to wait for it to pass.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a fair bit of accumulated fatigue out there. No need to push it. The urge will return.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robbie, it has been a very long time since we last heard from you. Good to see that you mustered the strength to pound out this post.

    Self-indulgent? I think not. Both Neil and Markus highlight that you are not alone in your unease. What is causing such imbalance in our wargaming? This is a good question since others seem to be suffering similarly.

    Over past eighteen months I discovered that remote gaming allowed me to play many more games and get many, many more of my armies onto the gaming table. Perhaps this is a path forward for you too?

    Sometimes picking up the brush is the best remedy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Malaise is a well known phenomenon amongst we Silver Wargamers I've discovered. It also passes in its own good time too. On the principle that a change is as good as a rest I generally turn to something different when I feel it near. As to the final fate of your collections, not your problem in the end...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Robbie, good to see you back on the blog, you aren't alone in the occasional 'what's it all about?' pondering. When I can't really muster much enthusiasm for painting figures, I tend to get stuck into making scenery - it's easier on the eyes, and usually involves making a bit of a mess on the table, and then having to clear it up afterwards, which I find strangely therapeutic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we all go through the phase "I don't feel like painting soldiers", I am with Iain make some terrain or building its quick, messy and fun. I made the decision some 8+ years ago that I would downsize the stack of unpainted and painted armies I had, it was strange at first but now I find it strangely therapeutic selling my unwanted but not unloved wargame items.
    I have kept most of my board games, 20mm SYW, 28mm SYW, 25mm Medieval and 20mm WW2 those are the core of the collection. I would say I have now sold 60%+ of what I had collected, the money made has funded holidays, my dog, some really nice fine French wine, presents for the Wife and some hobby stuff 😃.
    Sad that we will not meet at Kenilworth I was looking forward to having a few beers together.
    So stay safe, happy gaming, keep on blogging.

    Willz.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think we know exactly where you are coming from! Good to see you back posting. And as others say, don't push it, you'll work your way back into things in your own time. Cheers, Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  8. Robbie-can I have your figures please?? you miserable old sod!!
    johnc

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happens to us all I think, good to hear you've slapped some paint on some figures, just wait until someone releases plastic gendarmes, you'll be like a rat up a drainpipe!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  10. Going through a parallel process myself; been through the usual hobby downturns before, but this time around (being at a certain time of life) this is is larger re evaluation. Thanks for sharing your thoughts--good to know that they are shared ones.

    ReplyDelete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating