Friday 2 September 2022

Paved with good intentions.

Life is paved with good intentions. Unfortunately my life is no different. With the end of lock-down like many other wargamers I intended to produce a very regular series of posts on my blogs. But like many others that just hasnt happened. The reason? Well I think most people know the reason. 
Post the last two plus years I think its fair to say people are struggling to adjust to the new normal. Some people I know will never return to what was normality and basically become virtual recluses, dodging groups, crowds or even just very small groups. One sees them in various shops, masked up wearing plastic gloves and avoiding others like they have the plague. Then we have the majority whose life routines will never return. I think Im in that group. I do things slower, procrastinate more and seem quite happy to adopt a much slower pace. Of course it could be because Im getting a bit older.Anyway that is my excuse for not posting more regularly. 

Its also noticeable that the major wargaming companies aren't producing many new ranges of figures.Its understandable given the cost of everything going up. Of course we have a number of small figure companies such as Claymore Castings, Antediluvian Miniatures and the like releasing small ranges of beautiful figures but no big new projects. No new periods. So have we reached saturation point regarding the various periods?

Is there a need for a complete range of 28mm Napoleonics? Or has basically every war been covered by the many ranges? Hence the Napoleonic Rabbits and Turnips??? and such like. It probably explains the skirmish games that appear with regularity. Games with a well produced set of rules, figures displayed in the rules that are also produced to be bought with the rules a la Games Workshop and sometimes a nice range of gaming accessories to complement the new game. Why not, if they are good value?      

Clearly Ive plunged into the skirmish trend wholeheartedly with the new Lion Rampant release.I  must admit I am enjoying painting up some units and planning a couple of factions. Im determined not to spend a lot on the figures, but like all good intentions. Well you know the rest.
I did manage to pick up some cheapish? Foundry figures that were the customary joy to paint. I also located my old Brettonian transfers to add a little interest to them.
Of course it was prudent to buy some plastics for the sergeants and the like from Fireforge and very nice figures they are to. I also located a number of the old Brettonian plastic archers which have been a staple of my Never Mind the Billhooks project. Over forty years old but still excellent generic figures, not showy but perfect for smaller games. 

Im slowly painting up my Lamming order of ancients for my Persian army and very nice they are to. Well cast figures that are a pleasure to paint and a fair price to pay.  
There will be a lull for a couple of weeks after this post as I jet [hopefully] to Texas to enjoy the delights of Austin. I dont expect to visit any historical sites, unless they involve music, decent beer and the like. So if there are any Texan wargamers who also like to enjoy an eclectic mix of music, Ill be sat at the corner of various bars a typical Brit. You will recognise the type. I view this trip as part of my recovery from the Covid mess and I intend to sample the baser delights of life. Now that would be closer to normality for me.

                                 








 

14 comments:

  1. Hey! I will be in Austin the week of 12 September!

    Lovely looking figures, here, Robbie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im only in Austin for a week from tomorrow night Johnathon before moving onto Galveston for a few days. It really would have been great to meet the famous wargamer.

      Delete
  2. I hope you have a jolly time! The latest figures are a nice mix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David. Im back, jet lagged to buggery and laid in bed with some fluey? thing, and no its not Covid.

      Delete
  3. Robbie, have a great trip. I just think we’re all getting a little slower, a little less tolerant and happy with our circle of friends and figure stash 😆

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Graham, Ive been needing to email you, now Im back.

      Delete
  4. Very nice mediaeval figures! I think I've joined the reclusive group since Covid struck... As you say, we've all changed, like it or not.

    Cheers,

    David.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesnt need to be like that. Are you vaccinated? Sadly the media, government officials and others basically terrified people into a state of terror. One cannot allow that to happen. Start with open air walks, then walking in open air shopping areas and then build up from there.

      Delete
  5. I am tempted to follow you into the Medieval skirmish world but I am considering doing with some nice shiny, retro Lammings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do both. Now that Lamming Figures are available again and not only made sharper, they are still a very good price.

      Delete
  6. Interesting to read your perspective on the impact of Covid, Here in New Zealand, we had about 18 months Covid free, while the rest of the world suffered thousands of hospitalisations and deaths, then we had Omicron arrive and had a partial lockdown in Auckland for about three months. I think our experience has coloured our reaction - I don't know anyone who is more reclusive or makes a ;point of avoiding crowds etc. We still have mask wearing on public transport and in areas of large crowds eg retail - but not in hospitality - so no masks in cafes or puns etc. Have a great time in Texas - I doubt there is much in the way of Covid restrictions in that part of the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I always thought that New Zealand, Australia and China went way too far. Vaccination has always been a great tool for humankind and was nothing short of a miracle. Isolation cannot be vaccinated against and honestly mental health is a bigger killer than COVID ever was. The image ingrained on my psyche is the one of our wonderful, late Queen, alone, sat on a bench as they buried her husband. Life cannot be like that. As for Texas, you would be surprised, Ive always found the people from the South of the USA, not only charming but also pretty well clued up.

      Delete
  7. Lovely figs - Lion Rampant must be doing something right for our modern times, the new edition looks excellent.

    On producers, I note that Warlord Games continue to push the 13.5mm Epic range and that Victrix Games is keen to let us know that their WWII (plastic) is progressing well. I wonder whether the smaller scale is going to become a dynamic area for a while.

    having said that, I have just had an e-mail from a company who supplies Lurkio ancients and they are about to release some simply gorgeous resin elephants in 10mm, 15-18mm and 28mm, so right across the scales board is being supported by them.

    Enjoy Texas and some music :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm. The title on the top of my page makes mention of a wargaming golden age. I still subscribe to that viewpoint with a couple of caveats.

      Delete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating