Thursday 22 September 2022

Safely back.

Well Im back, safe and sound from Texas. Three flights, a four hour drive and 32 hours awake, I felt and still feel like Ive had a good kicking. Unfortunately within hours of returning I was hit by some lurgy and still feel under the weather. But enough of what I did on my holidays. What I will say is, that Galveston is a lovely town and a good place to sample American culture, weather and meet people who believe in good manners.A real throwback. Sadly the price of alcohol didnt match the feel of the place.
Last Saturday I dragged myself to The Border Reivers show in Gateshead. John and I have always attended this show and found it a decent day out. Saturday was no different, well mainly no different. 
The morning seemed busy and there was a decent queue waiting to get into the place. It was nice to bump into old faces and talk toy soldiers and the like. There were a few new trade stalls that I hadnt seen before with some interesting new products and of course there was a bring and buy set up. Strangely some tables were empty through the day, which was unusual for the show. I picked up some cheap [very] Victrix Macedonians but didnt succumb to the urge to buy up all the packs on sale. There is nothing worse than having thousands of unpainted figures under the table, it can be soul destroying. 
Games wise there were some nice tables on show, my favourite being the Westerhope Crew displaying their early war desert campaign.Its the one period of the second World War I enjoy. No mega powerful tanks and some interesting opportunities for the Italians to shine.
Unfortunately after the show I had a relapse and had to take to my bed. I think it was from talking to various wargamers who described their ailments, colleagues ailments or simply complaining of getting old. I know Im no better at times. One hates bits falling off them.
In between sleeping I have managed to complete a few figures. The Indians are from Lamming Miniatures and were good figures to paint. The foot soldiers are from Fireforge and will be added to my Lion Rampant force.Ignore any heraldry, its whatever I could lay my hands upon.
Hopefully I will attend Partizan in October, everything being well. It will be nice to get more inspiration and enjoy the sight of some top quality games.

 

4 comments:

  1. Robbie! You pick up where you left off. At the painting table. Good to see you enjoyed your travels to Texas. Too bad about returning with illness. I returned from Texas last week and immediately fell victim to illness too. Must be something in the water or traveling in a germ-filled aluminum tube.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those fireforge figures look great. Hope your feeling better soon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Painting despite the Lurgi, that's the spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Southern charm is a thing isn't it. All those sir's and ma'ams is quite catching. I was in Atlanta for 3 months, going back in November, and it isn't quite home but a nice place to be

    ReplyDelete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating