Thursday 6 April 2023

A Vanilla Post.

I'm finding the need to post a little difficult at the moment due to life imposing itself on my leisure.I have been painting but not as regularly as I like and as a consequence I have a lot of stuff sat in boxes gathering dust.I was determined to complete an additional two Irish units for my Billhooks army. These are meant to represent Redshanks, that is Scots mercenaries, but the differences between them and other gallowglass appears very small, especially as they also lived in Ireland plying their trade. 
I used some lovely Antediluvian Miniatures for one unit and Redoubt figures for the second.They are very different but to be honest I like both ranges and Im happy with the results. As for the flags, well I will confess they are probably very wrong as they are Irish flags from early Tudor  times by Petes Flags.
I just like Pete's range and felt they added some colour to the units. Shoot me, if you must.


I used to be the proud owner of a very large Bretonnian army, I loved the range of figures produced by Games Workshop but only ever used it once before selling it for a song. One of the best figures of the range was the generic archer. I still have quite a few and sadly keep buying up others if they are cheap. These had been part painted ones which I created into a Burgundian unit, because I haven't enough. Yes they are fantasy figures, but for me they make a nice unit of cheap archers. 
I can only apologise that this post is a bit vanilla, but I do hope to put together something a bit meatier next time, that is if the weather remains the same wet self.


 Iain Macmillan very kindly sent me two lovely unpainted figures again, one a Marcus Hinton figures, the other a Les Higgins ECW chap. The standard of the sculpting is lovely, especially the woman showing off her leg. They were very enjoyable to paint. 
                              
                                Les Higgins and Hinton Hunt, 30mm lady of ill repute.




 

12 comments:

  1. I like vanilla and you have a lot more going on than you admit. Figures look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never thought of you and vanilla being in the same context. Still pretty productive though and yes those GW archers were pretty spot on for a cheap generic figure and they looked pretty good. Looking forward to the next post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Off to the Billhooks weekend tomorrow Graham. Its a good way to meet wargamers, drink beer and talk about toys.

      Delete
  3. Jon beat me to the vanilla comment....it's probably my favourite flavour of ice cream! (And not that French Vanilla either!) I really like the Hinton Hunt lady of ill repute...given her age, she is a nice looking figure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That figure is a real stunner and given its age, shows just how good Marcus Hinton was.

      Delete
  4. Vanilla ice cream is my favourite too, although I must admit in Padstow they did a wonderful orange and mascarpone! Superb work on those Gallowglass units and the flags work a treat, whether they are 'accurate' or not! I always thought the Bretonnian archers made great generic bowmen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im a sucker for Pete's Flags. I know he's busy with real life but when he does release some I always want them.

      Delete
  5. Very nice new additions to your collection. The archers will do just fine, if folk criticize put it down to their lack of manners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David. To be honest Ive rarely met or been in contact with a wargamer who wasnt a good person. Maybe Im lucky.

      Delete
  6. A very nice vanilla slice indeed…
    I agree with you on the Bretonian archers… lovely simple one piece castings.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only wish I'd never sold that damned Brettonnian army,Aly, they were lovely figures and I did make a good job of them. Oh and thanks to you and the former crew at GW Im now buying up old Space Marines and Chaos marines.

      Delete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating