Saturday 3 June 2023

The Sick one returns.

                                                         God its been a while;
 Depressingly a big part of the reason for the lack of wargaming and posts is illness once again. Good health is such an important of ones appreciation of life, anyone who has any sort of long-term illness and yet manages to bugger on has my complete admiration. Unfortunately I dont seem to be one of these good people, in fact Im pretty hopeless when attempting to cope with such things. But anyway Im back.  
Painting like virtually everything else suffered during my latest bout of being off colour. I did receive a nice pick me up from fellow wargamer Iain Macmillan who very kindly sent me some lovely Stadden ECW figures, which I did paint, and thoroughly enjoyed doing so.They are little works of art.  





One of the many pleasures of attending wargaming weekends is being able to talk to other wargamers and see what they are up to. At the Billhooks weekend in Derby I saw some lovely Eureka Miniatures WOR figures and I had to have some. They are very fine figures that are compatible with Perry Miniatures. I painted a unit of their archers as my Burgundian Ducal Guard, it means that they can have a commander attached to them if required using the Billhooks Deluxe rules.
I took their costumes from a Funken drawing, I dont know if they are historically correct but I like them which is what counts.
During my latest hiatus I bought three secondhand books on the recommendation of a Slingshot Magazine circa 1975. The books by Professor Paul Kendall were published in the mid 1970's and concerned Warwick the Kingmaker, Richard 3rd and Louis 11th, the Spider King. I would recommend them to any wargamer/ student of the WOR period. Yes they may appear a little dated but they are written in great conversational style that I have always likes and provide a lot of information about the three personalities.






 

10 comments:

  1. Welcome back and a very fine unit of archers emerge! Eureka WotR figures are new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad your back and those archers look superb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robbie, sorry to hear you’ve been out of it! We can compare sick notes in a couple of weeks at the Wild Geese weekend! You will be pleased to hear I’ve succumbed and bought some figures to start a ‘Billhooks’ contingent! Those Eureka minis look excellent, the range is a new one to me but they seem pretty much out of stock at present.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear you're feeling better, beautiful figures as well

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to see you are still with us Robbie and wielding the brush to such good effect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Robbie, good to see you back at the ‘production’ table, has your little dabble with the ECW peeked any interest in the Warlord Games Epic ECW set?

    Your WoR archers are stand out figures, o lovely contingent for the table.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear about your health problems but glad you are back posting, and some mighty fine figures on show, love the ECW figures, they just ooze style.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear you been ill Robbie, as Graham said we can swap sick notes dits at Kenilworth in a few weeks.
    Red wine cures all ill's 😀.

    Willz.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to see that you're back on your feet! Lovely brushwork! Love the WOR stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good to see you back on your feet, and nice work on the Staddens. Glad they met with your approval.

    ReplyDelete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating