Sunday 26 November 2023

Battleground 2023.

Yesterday was the day that the run up to Christmas began. Well it is for me as I attended the wonderful Battleground Wargames Show held between Stockton on Tees and Middlesbrough.

  Leon of Pendragon Miniatures has organised this for several years now and rescued it from extinction. The hard work this man has put in is now paying off in spades as over 700 punters walked through the doors. Other clubs should take note at how Leon has turned the show around and made it a great day out, to buy, chat, listen and just enjoy.

 Its free entry, easy access from a major road, the parking is free, there were two lectures and the food was cheap [ are you listening Leeds] and good quality. No cold bacon sandwiches here and definitely no oat milk for one's tea.  So how were the games? Well they were good, obviously not up to Partizan standard but diverse enough and interesting enough to enjoy. What I like is the table top sale which has always proved great value. But this year I managed to ignore temptation and only bought one book.

 Battleground is one of the few shows where Tiger Miniatures appear and I was able to buy some [okay quite a few] of their lovely renaissance Irish range. So another unit of Gallowglass and some great Irish horse oh and a unit of war dogs.  

 I stuck to my wish to not buy figures, for buying sake although I must admit I nearly bought about 100 well painted Mini Fig medieval figures at a ridiculously low price. So I spent more time being a nuisance chatting to anyone who made the mistake of stopping. I felt like the nutter on the bus, but without their whacky charm. 

 It was great to see a lot of old faces and know that they were still pottering about [ hello John] doing a bit of wargaming between ailments.

 So thank you Leon, for all your hard work and well done for bringing a show back to health.


Image at 1.00pm, still loads of punters milling about looking for bargains, others were listening to a lecture about the border reivers.



 

16 comments:

  1. It’s always a bookend of the year for me. Lots of families faces . Leon & do do Stirling work moving it on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm gutted to have missed it. Looks a great show

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely worth a visit. Leon has done a wonderful job.

      Delete
  3. Glad you enjoyed the show and well done to Leon and Co. for keeping it going, which is 10 years now. Sadly far too far for me but maybe one day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me its a great example of the future for wargaming shows. It has the right mix of things and its free.

      Delete
  4. It was as ever an excellent show. I bought very little other than a couple of preorders from Baccus and Pendraken, and some pack horses from Tiger. Nice to catch up with lots of people. As you say, Leon is to be congratulated on running an excellent show.

    I'm sure I saw you once. And I was definitely there. I can see myself in your picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought stuff from Tiger Andy, they have some very nice figures.

      Delete
  5. You had a good time it seems! Nowt in our Parish until WMMS in March sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheers for sharing Robbie very much appreciated.
    This show is on my must attend list, as I get my bus pass next year I wonder if I can get from devon to way up North for free😁.


    Willz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bus pass Will, surely you should have received one years ago,

      Delete
  7. Hi Robbie,I'm feeling much beter now,and still awaiting your visit to look at my 400 Gauls!
    johnc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't forgotten, but this last week has been hard, especially as Im crippled with sciatica.

      Delete
  8. Great photos - I can see myself playing a Blood Red Skies game with Ken Natt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't take images this year for some reason. There was some great games.

      Delete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating