Wednesday 8 November 2023

How does one answer the impossible question.

I follow a lot of wargaming blogs and one of my favourites is the Palouse Wargaming Journal written by Jonathan Frietag. I think its fair to say Jonathan is a pretty intelligent American chap who can analyse information regarding wargaming and make sense of the data. His latest post concerns information gleaned from the Great Wargaming Survey. 

By counts, less than 4% of survey respondents maintain no surplus of unpainted figures.  Almost 41% of respondents have between 100 and 500 unpainted figures.  About 82% hold fewer than 1,000 unpainted figures in their storeroom.  Still, the remaining 18% of wargamers hold more than 1,000 unpainted figures.  Why maintain a stockpile of so many unpainted figures?  When is enough "enough" to have on hand? 

    I actually complete the survey every years, God knows why, but I like to think my information could be of use to someone, God knows who, anyway Jonathan posted about that old elephant in the room, the dreaded lead pile, or to appear more relevant the lead, plastic and resin mountain. 

Unlike Jonathan I am more a pragmatic [ thick ] about the whys and wherefores of wargamers buying figures that they then squirrel away and then forget about them. When I was working I would buy figures that I honestly thought I would need when I retired, fully expecting I would have more time but less cash. Well we all know that isn't what happens don't we.

As I've matured [ ie got mouldy] I've realised that I buy extra figures for more pleasurable reasons. Like a lot of humans, we like to shop and it gives us pleasure, well until you realise you didn't really need them.

When I first started wargaming in the very early 1970's I held down two jobs, one before school and one after school, I was more interested in pleasure than education. Anyway using all of my hard earned cash I remember buying every box of Napoleonic Airfix French from my local model shop and guiltily rushing home to my bedroom where I piled up the hundreds of figures cut from their sprues. Once done I realised I needed to paint them all to make the purchase relevant. Talk about disheartening. I learned a lesson from that crazy purchase, dont buy plastic. Okay, I actually realised that one had to be more disciplined in buying wargames figures. Buying metal soon brought that lesson home, oh the cost.

And now? Well I've realised I have more painted units than I can ever use. Proper armies made up of units that have never been on the table, and yet I will still research figure producers and also second hand sources. Why? Simple gratification.



At the moment I am buying early ancient figures for my Greek and Persian armies, even though I've got two perfectly good ancient armies using a mixture of Victrix, Warlord and North Star figures. I will over time replace all these figures with poorer quality, well in comparison to most of the newer ranges, ancient figures by Garrison, Mini Figs, Hinchliffe and hopefully Warrior. The reason has to be nostalgia, an illness recognised by the troops fighting in the American Civil War, a wistfulness to return to a time when all seemed well, or in my case because I find the early ranges charming and naive without being ugly.

 Do I need any more figures, absolutely not, in fact I am attempting to move on a lot of unpainted ECW castings, by moving on I mean virtually giving them away, and yet most wargamers arent interested, and why would they when there are so many wonderful new figures out there.



I know several mature wargamers who have thousands and I mean literally thousands of unpainted castings. They are carefully boxed waiting to be painted. Sadly we all know they will never be painted and more likely will end up in a skip or simply melted down. But did it give the wargamer pleasure? Probably until they look at the ever burgeoning piles of metal gathering dust and cobwebs. 

Like all addicts and I think I am one, you always know someone worse than you, until you realise there is no one worse and you are the go to example that other wargamers point at.

So why do we do it? Why is there a need to possess more of a thing we really don't need? One of the triggers for me is when I see some well painted old figures, that have been lavished attention and love by some wargamer. Do I need them, certainly not, but if possible I will attempt to buy them simply because they are in my eyes desirable and will fit nicely into one of my armies.

Simply put, I cant let a bargain slip by and I use the word bargain loosely. My weakness will always be figures painted by the wargaming greats, Charles Grant Snr. Tony Bath, Donald Featherstone and Peter Gilder. Unfortunately these are financially virtually unattainable for me until people of my age have gone and then they will be simply scrap and of no interest to most wargamers. Bleak, but probably realistic simply because the new generations of wargamers have new heroes and certainly like other figure ranges better.



I feel I'm getting away from my rambling point which is that every wargamer is thankfully different, each has their own predilections. It is a subject that can probably only be answered by a very clever person and certainly far clever than this thicko. All I know is that I recognise the issue, feel guilty sometimes about it and then go back to enjoying the purchase and hopefully the painting of the said figures. So really my lead mountain isn't a mountain, its a painted mountain, which makes it okay then.

Oh and if any collectors feel the need to offload any of their unwanted, painted or otherwise older figures, I am your man.

   



20 comments:

  1. Robbie, good to see you read the blog even if you do not comment.

    I agree that collecting is a personal endeavor and everyone has different motivations for doing what they do. Is amassing a pile of unpainted figures an addiction? Perhaps only you and your therapist can know.

    My unpainted pile may be large but my painted pile is much, much larger. If it gives you pleasure and is not breaking the bank, how can anyone criticize your personal choice?

    Oh, and I still intend to paint my unpainted figures...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jonathan given the number of followers who reply to your thoughtful posts, I dont think you need me to throw in some superficial crap. Ive thought about my legacy as some older people do as they realise jut how much stuff you possess. Its selfish to leave a lot of stuff to clear when one goes. But while it gives one pleasure and you can still potter about selfishness wins every time. So keep up your good work.

      Delete
  2. An other excellent post Robbie.
    I am not doing too bad on the unpainted pile, though I have been selling a lot of my collected stuff over the past ten years. That still does not stop me from buying bargains, it's a wargamer thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will you are far more disciplined than me, so you probably have control of what is happening when you buy more. For me, well I have good intentions and then I foget.

      Delete
  3. A cracking post and one that hit's home as I am virtually the same in all the examples you use. My main problem is focus and stop/starting old and new projects. I do sometimes despair about my "problem" but usually get over it rather quickly! A really interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For a hobby, wargaming is a complex thing. There are so many facets to it. The research, the collecting, the painting, the terrain, the cost, storage ad infinitum. And that's before you start to play, find the rules you like and find an opponent you enjoy playing with. AND thats why I love the whole damn mess.

      Delete
  4. I was also starting a vintage Ancients project but it got it got trumped by a vintage ECW one. I think I sold off all the Ancient figures but I'll look in the loft - you can have any I find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Rob, Ive still got a few old ECW castings if want them, just let me know and you can have them as Ive realised Ive got enough.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Cheers Ray, you young chaps have this to face. A realisation that wargaming is like an unstoppable train.

      Delete
  6. I don't know if I am a bit younger (61) but I really do not have one iota of nostalgia for the old figures of the mid-seventies and earlier - of which I had a very few in my teens (some are still in my Napoleonic and FIW collections today)
    Sorry, I know a lot of people seem to love Hinton Hunt, Hinchliffe, Minifigs et al painted in high gloss on bright green strips of three in the exact same pose - but I don't. Even back in the day, I painted my Minifigs in Humbrol Authenticolour matt paints and had units of different poses, to make them as "realistic" as possible!
    I don't have a huge pile of unpainted figures, but I do have some mid-sized (few hundred figures) collections of painted figures that have rarely if ever hit the battlefield - mid-nineteenth century British in India is one example!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your just a youngster so will have a different point of view as you should. Everyone who wargames has a favourite range of figures. I do have a lot of Games Workshop figures and love them. I also think that Steel Fist and Claymore Castings are wonderful, but nostalgia is an itch I keep scratching. I have very big SYW armies made up of lots of Pax Brittanica figures supported by Willie units. They are lovely armies. I have used them once in the last six years? I cant explain why.

      Delete
  7. Spot on Robbie, I am not sure how much I have painted but I think it is close to 10000 miniatures, I know I paint somewhere between 400 to 1000 a year, last year being the first I counted everything including foreign (friends, British museum, and my children orders).
    Like you I have a bunch of armies that have not seen the light of day for a long time (Marlborough period for example must be 12 years or so). It gives me so much pleasure to plan, purchase then paint, then the bug bites and I am off again. I do have a lead pile possible close to 4000 figs and around 100 odd plastic kits, but still ordered more last week as I am chasing another itch at the moment.
    In comparison though to my old hobby ( hot rods) it is cheap….. although I am thinking of rebuilding another 50s60s staff/posh car or other when I complete the chateau… in two years.

    All the best
    Cheers
    Matt
    French Wargame Holidays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think its fair to say Matt that you can justify your collections, if you offer wargaming holidays. When I first retired I thought of offering a similar but smaller version of this and then realised I didn't have the business acumen to carry it through. I must admit that in order to justify my wargaming costs I would use the example of golf, sports event costs and then realised I hated golf and didn't go to sports events. Now I just accept I like toy soldiers and thats that.

      Delete
  8. A thoughtful and interesting post Robbie. Time to buy some more figures now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that is exactly what Ive just done David, its a funny thing this wargaming marlarky.

      Delete
  9. And I thought I was the only Warrior figure owner. I bought my Romans in the late '80s (I think). A bit flimsy. I have Classical Indians, Alex, Macedonians and Late Achaemenid MiniFigs, though with a very few figures from other ranges. And I prefer metal to plastic even with new purchases.

    ReplyDelete
  10. By implication, our purchases are coming from disposable income, which is. ……. Disposable! So I buy a few boxes of figures and just love them because they press all the right buttons and will do so for a long time.

    My neighbour …. Instead …… spends the same money and a bit more, going to the football. It presses his buttons and he is happy with his spend, though it is spend that is made in the moment, after two hours it becomes a fading memory and that money can never be got back, neither can the money from the coffee I buy each day.

    What I am driving at is that you can only spend your money once and everyone has a different justification / want / need / buying behaviour of spending their disposable income where it brings the most pleasure.

    I think the takeaway for most gamers is not to worry about the residual value of our stuff …. When we are gone, because the value in many respects goes with us and those left behind will never see the ‘little men’ in the same light that we do. So even though our figures are residual, perhaps it is best to see that spend in the same way as the football fan / golfer / socialite does …. More in the way of the ‘here and now’.

    I’m convinced …. Hope you are too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed this interesting and funny 'thought piece' Robbie. The comments and your responses perhaps even more. Especially '...wargaming is like an unstoppable train' and your reply to David that you had bought more figures! Marvellous.
    Makes me feel a little better as I am much thicker than you. I have all my figures counted and recorded, so know that I have 10s of thousands (approaching 7 of them) with a bit over 6 000 painted. The vast majority are 1/72 plastics (by design and preference). I even have a calculation of the number required to be painted each year if I get 10 or 15 years more (which is adjusted as new figures 'turn up'. Who knows where they come from?). Being a little younger than Keith I can imagine having that amount of time. I have changed my approach to painting and the amount and type of work that I do, so think it is possible. I'll be able to tell you in five years how delusional I am/was. Make sure that you stick around to find out (as if that is an important consideration, hahahaha).
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating