Tuesday 21 March 2017

Candyfloss sticks.

  Photographic proof that I havent totally stopped my ACW project. These were from the batch that Jim Sweeney kindly let me have, except I did only minimal touching up of the figures simply because someone had taken a lot of trouble painting some of the figures. The vast majority are the very old Hinchliffe ranges with a smattering of Connisseur thrown in for good measure. I like them a lot.

 These are from my birthday gift from my wife and are the first regiment of Texans using Elite Miniatures. Pete Moreby ic clearly Pete Gilder's successor and has captured the movement in these figures.I know some wargamers don't like them but to be honest everyone is different and has different tastes. Obviously I will need to paint up more Texans to counter the Iron Brigade.
 The images also contain my latest attempts at making snake fencing. I bought myself a large packet of Candyfloss sticks off the internet and to be honest they seem perfect for what I need. Granted they are a tad regular in shape but again I like them. You get 50 bamboo sticks for just under three quid. Whats not to like. Bamboo is a tough wood and should take some rough handling.I have even gone to the trouble of making tenon joints to make the fences even stronger. I always knew my wood working lessons would be of some use one day. So a bit of terrain making for me in the next few days coupled with some 54mm plastic figure painting to complete my Lion Rampant project, oh and I hope to complete another Union unit very soon. Wargaming, a great hobby that is never finished.


15 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Jonathan,
      Ive tried a few different types of material but think this may be the answer. Its cheap to buy, very strong, but easy to work with.

      Delete
  2. Those texans are great Robbie,a few more regiments will give those unions something to think about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elite figures are one of my favourites. You've done a great job with those Texicans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colin,
      I was surprised how good they were to paint up.

      Delete
  4. Well done Elites are always a joy to see .. lucky you getting these . And the candy floss sticks work too .. good tip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave,
      Buy yourself a pack. I've also started making trestle fencing. A little bit more fiddly but I'm starting to get a grip of the process.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Still making some headway Paul, and I think I can see an end in sight re the completion.The problem then is where do I go. Malburians or Wars of Religion?

      Delete
  6. Hi Robbie great stuff.
    Think you should have a word with John I'm
    sure he will get the Bamboo cheaper than that!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brian,
    He probably steals it from the baby panda's in London zoo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Always good to see units for the ACW. Great work on the fences, though you'll find you need more than you think in my experience.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice fencing and texans, you need to paint some gendarmes!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating