Thursday 14 February 2019

Back in the Saddle.

 Normally I like to keep my blog in chronological order so this post should really be about the Antietam wargame that John hosted for me this week. However it is an image heavy account and I would like to do what was a wonderful game a proper write up. It was a very tense and very very bloody affair, I loved it.


 I have started to paint again imbibed with the enthusiasm I got from the York show. One cant beat a bit of retail therapy to lift the spirits.I had a few plastic union chaps left over so decided to paint them up, of course I had to buy some new Perry command to go with them. These are Pennsylvanian volunteers. I have also been completing the painting of my Renedra purchases. Its quite a sight now and very orderly, so very American.
 I also managed to complete another Royalist regiment for my Hinchliffe project which is now stretching into the use of Warrior and Mini Fig ranges. I can smell the age of these chaps from the keyboard. These are the Duke of York's Foot regiment.Great flags but a static pose I'm afraid.


 Now for some artillery, the red gun and crew are Warrior and very nice they are as well. I've decided if I'm going retro with these armies I might as well go totally retro.
  And yes there is a crew containing Mini Figs which were amongst the box of metal I bought at York, again I really enjoyed painting them.


 I managed to paint up four guns and crew and found in the 'box' two painted limbers which I touched up and brought back to life.
 Finally a regiment of Parliamentarian horse, I really like this pose, very Parliamentarian.


 I havent been neglecting my Grandson either and tackled some 40k chaps. One will need sun glasses for these as I discovered some old bottles of fluorescent paint which I thought would look 'cool.' [See Im down with the kids, yo!]
 So a bit of an eclectic week really. I also received a couple of lovely painted Peter Gilder renaissance horses from the Wargames Holiday Centre which require two appropriate riders AND another converted Gilder? gendarme which I need to base.These were sent by Jason Williams again, so again can I say a big thank you for sending me the pieces. Brilliant. 

16 comments:

  1. Looks like you've been very busy Robbie. I do like all the artillery, they look excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very impressed with the Warrior piece and crew. Not only ate they sturdy little beggars they were also a very fair price.

      Delete
  2. and so what goes around - comes around, good to see you re-enthused. I really like your ACW figures. May I ask at what stage you ink them and what sort of ink solution do you use? I am using one part brown, one part black, one part water and one part floor polish and then do a quick highlight. I am very undecided as to how I feel about the final look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Norm, I only ink the faces, hair and rifle.I then lighten the ink parts.I use a black undercoat for the figure and then highlight the Valejo very dark blue with mixed shades of the blue and a bright blue. The trousers are a slate blue highlighted with white and the main colour. They are actually better in the flesh, honest.

      Delete
    2. I like the style very much, I seem to spend too much time doing rescue work after my inking, so will try my hand moving over to your method.

      Delete
    3. When I go to wargames shows I always look at the figures on show just to see if I can pick up ideas. GW ink is a great addition to wargaming painters and I probably over use the stuff.Best of luck anyway.

      Delete
  3. Fine work on all those, even the fantasy figures! The camp is very dapper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David, The camp has come on leaps and bounds really. I just need to re base four large tents to finish it and then find a scenario for the things..

      Delete
  4. Great looking figures for both civil wars! Nice camp and 40k types,I was very pleased with my warrior Italian wars artillery piece and a pleasure to deal with.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im pleased you got a Warrior gun, the service is very good.

      Delete
  5. Your workbench has not been idle! Very productive with superb results. Great job, Robbie! Looking forward to your Antietam battle recap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johnathan, I feel like Im treading water at the moment and hope to get down to some serious painting soon.

      Delete
  6. Robbie,as you know I'm a Warrior fan(big style!) and you can't beat some of his figures,or the price!!-lovely paint job.
    johnc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. I actually thought you owned the company.

      Delete
  7. That looks like a very varied "saddle-full" Robbie , well done. Love the 40K stuff - what a lucky grandson that you go to such effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest Chris they are very enjoyable to paint. Being a boring oldie I do however struggle with imaginative colours for them.

      Delete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating